+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: nVidia and AMD/ATI card in the same system.  (Read 11980 times)

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
    • efmer
nVidia and AMD/ATI card in the same system.
« on: 31 Oct 2009, 01:37:50 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with nVidia CUDA and and  AMD  CAL running on the same computer.
TThrottle Keep your temperatures controlled.
BoincTasks The best way to view BOINC

Offline corsair

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: nVidia and AMD/ATI card in the same system.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 04:49:32 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with nVidia CUDA and and  AMD  CAL running on the same computer.
Hi Fred,

I tried some days ago, but impossible my PSU was too poor I thought it was 450w but was 380w,
so installed as test in win XP pro x64 and could get only nice crashing, so, did not retry again until
I'll upgrade the computer, that I'll setup more powerful PSU and both GPU that I've now in stock
(1 running HD3850 and Spare Nvidia 9800), I'll tell you when I'll do that, but for now it will last
some ... as I have some work by now (for next two weeks).
Over the sailors' graves never groves grass.

Cheers all / Corsair.

Xibalba

« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2009, 05:38:23 am »

Hi Fred,

I'm using a 4890 and a 250 GTS in the same system. Using Boinc 6.10.17 the gpu's are picked up automatically - although you need a monitor plugged into each for the gpu's to be detected.

It hasn't caused any real problems. I receive CPU & Cuda work for Seti, CAL for the Seti Beta. Cuda & Cal for collatz, Cal for Milkyway. It's all been running pretty smoothly for about a week now.

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2009, 05:56:46 am »

Hi Fred,

I'm using a 4890 and a 250 GTS in the same system. Using Boinc 6.10.17 the gpu's are picked up automatically - although you need a monitor plugged into each for the gpu's to be detected.

It hasn't caused any real problems. I receive CPU & Cuda work for Seti, CAL for the Seti Beta. Cuda & Cal for collatz, Cal for Milkyway. It's all been running pretty smoothly for about a week now.
Thanks, as soon as I can download the BOINC version I give it a try, looks like it's overloaded right now

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2009, 07:37:00 am »

Hi Fred,

Thanks, as soon as I can download the BOINC version I give it a try, looks like it's overloaded right now
Card installed, detected, installed drivers.
But as Windows XP 64 starts I get a blue screen. Probably a resource issue ,but there is little or none that I can do about that.
Probably the 295 card is too much to add an additional ATI card.

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2009, 06:03:45 am »
Is the screen connecting mandatory ? I was thinking about putting a new card into my home server, but it has no screen.

I post here because I was also interested in the answer, as I just received a pair of 4870 1GB, and have a big PSU and 3*16X PCIe, and already a GTX280, so I could do 4870/4870/GTX280. That would be quite extreme wouldn't it ?

I won't be connecting a screen on one of them, so, it will not work ?

HAL9000ii

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:37:39 pm »
Is the screen connecting mandatory ? I was thinking about putting a new card into my home server, but it has no screen.

I post here because I was also interested in the answer, as I just received a pair of 4870 1GB, and have a big PSU and 3*16X PCIe, and already a GTX280, so I could do 4870/4870/GTX280. That would be quite extreme wouldn't it ?

I won't be connecting a screen on one of them, so, it will not work ?

I have seen many people post on the S@H forum that hooking up a monitor was required to get their CUDA card to work. I have not had this issue with my ATI 3850 AGP card.

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:42:08 am »
I was gonna respond to myself withouth realizing. So I have now the pair of 4870 and a 8800GTX all working (milkyway on the ATIs, SETI MB on i7 CPU and nvidia card), with only one screen and no VGA dummy. However it seems to be by chance and I could make a VGA dummy if needed. I tried first the 8800GTX to see if my PSU could handle it, since the GTX280 is even more power hungry.

BTW with the physX patch I can play games with the nvidia card calculating physX, and the ATI cards rendering the image, pretty neat.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672