+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: V10/11 of modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package for full multi-GPU+CPU use  (Read 230037 times)

elec999

On the day where the graph is the allway up, its because seti was down it added all my credit from the past few days.
Thank you

laconic

You can see my Q6600 with no GPU (seti ssse3 optimized) is doing alot better then my V10 Q6600 with 9800 + 8800 GPU.
Check your pending credit.  I currently have 38,229.95 pending credit, and that's with me not really crunching for the last week.  Most likely your past couple weeks haven't been fully credited yet, so you can't compare them.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Unfortunately I can confirm this... I am using remote desktop sessions at work and home to access differnt clients and saw the same "initialization errors" like this:
It's known limitation of CUDA - see CUDA FAQ. It will not with remote desktop, but will work with VNC though.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
ok I closed out of boinc  copied the files in the Raistmer's_opt_pack_V10a_x64_SSSE3_MB_CPU_GPU_team.rar file into the seti boinc folder and created the cc_config.xml file when i restarted boinc every WU failed except the ap WU then when boinc connected it didnt download any enhanced seti WU but it downloaded ap Wu's now i am crunching 3 Ap Wu's. what do i need to do to get crunching seti enhanced wu's again?
Maybe to read first post and follow its recommendations ? ;)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Just installed V10a X64 SSE3.  I get a "can't load library cudart.dll" message and no GPU processing.  Also, after inserting the cc_config file, bionc tries to run 3 threads off my 2 cores instead of using the GPU.

Using vista X64, GTX260/216 with driver 182.06 and BIONC 6.4.5X64.

If I use the BIONC 6.4.5 X86 version, cuda loads properly, but with this new V10a, I seem to only pull down .wu's so I have no idea if the GPU is going to run right.

computer link: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/hosts_user.php?userid=9033226
checjk if you have cudart.dll in seti project directory.

cudart.dll installs to the priogramfilesx86\bionc folder.  do you mean the data directory projects folder?
I mean that ALL files inside pack archive should be placed together in seti@home project folder.
Any other experimentation up to you :)

trader1_1

ok I closed out of boinc  copied the files in the Raistmer's_opt_pack_V10a_x64_SSSE3_MB_CPU_GPU_team.rar file into the seti boinc folder and created the cc_config.xml file when i restarted boinc every WU failed except the ap WU then when boinc connected it didnt download any enhanced seti WU but it downloaded ap Wu's now i am crunching 3 Ap Wu's. what do i need to do to get crunching seti enhanced wu's again?

well i assumed that if you read my post that you would know i had 2 cores plus 1 gpu hence the "crunching 3 Ap Wu's" stated in the original post but your right i did forget the link to my host so here it is ... http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4773686

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
Well this would help (from the first page of this thread):

When you post to this thread seeking for help, please, don't forget to provide link on your host and description of your config (OS, number of GPU cards, what pack you use, video driver version).
It will wastly decrease number of unneeded questions and save time both for you and anyone who will help you.

Well, the link gives us your OS & GPU Card, and the pack should be V10 of modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package?, just leaves the most important item: the Driver Version?

Claggy

Offline PatrickV2

• Knight o' The Round Table
I just registered here (after freeloading on the optimized clients posted here before), and am currently running the V10 package on my Q6600/8800GTX machine, under WinVistax86_Ultimate.

Looks to run ok, 4 process on the Q6600, a fifth called 'MB_6.08_mod_CUDA...' is taking about 5% CPU, and I see one of the 5 units running progressing at about twice the rate of the others (1 is at ~31%, 4 at ~15%).

Is there a way to see from within BOINC manager which WU is running on the GPU? (Besides observing it progresses quicker?)

Regards, Patrick.

I'd still be interested in an answer to the question I posed above; I have  the idea the whole V10a package is running fine on my Vistax64 config, but I would appreciate a somewhat more detailed insight into what WUs are, at what moment, running on one of the main CPU cores, and which WU is running on the GPU...

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

well i assumed that if you read my post that you would know i had 2 cores plus 1 gpu hence the "crunching 3 Ap Wu's" stated in the original post but your right i did forget the link to my host so here it is ... http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4773686

Ok, but time lost, now we have "under maintenance state" will take a look after.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
I just registered here (after freeloading on the optimized clients posted here before), and am currently running the V10 package on my Q6600/8800GTX machine, under WinVistax86_Ultimate.

Looks to run ok, 4 process on the Q6600, a fifth called 'MB_6.08_mod_CUDA...' is taking about 5% CPU, and I see one of the 5 units running progressing at about twice the rate of the others (1 is at ~31%, 4 at ~15%).

Is there a way to see from within BOINC manager which WU is running on the GPU? (Besides observing it progresses quicker?)

Regards, Patrick.

I'd still be interested in an answer to the question I posed above; I have  the idea the whole V10a package is running fine on my Vistax64 config, but I would appreciate a somewhat more detailed insight into what WUs are, at what moment, running on one of the main CPU cores, and which WU is running on the GPU...

Regards, Patrick.
Well, explore your BOINC ;)
Especially - look into slots folders. There you will find what task crunched by whom, what current task progress state and so on if you curious in that.

Offline PatrickV2

• Knight o' The Round Table
Especially - look into slots folders. There you will find what task crunched by whom, what current task progress state and so on if you curious in that.

OK, that works, although a lot more cryptic than I'd hoped. ;)

I don't know BOINC very well, so forgive me asking on a bit: there is no way for a BOINC client process (i.e. the regular setiboinc ... and the Seti-MB-CUDA variant) to influence what is displayed in the BOINC Manager 'Tasks'-overview list (and I mean the fields Application or Status?)

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

OK, that works, although a lot more cryptic than I'd hoped. ;)

I don't know BOINC very well, so forgive me asking on a bit: there is no way for a BOINC client process (i.e. the regular setiboinc ... and the Seti-MB-CUDA variant) to influence what is displayed in the BOINC Manager 'Tasks'-overview list (and I mean the fields Application or Status?)

Regards, Patrick.

No way.
If you search easier ways - use stock or kick BOINC devs to fix BOINC itself ;)
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 01:47:45 pm by Raistmer »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

Ok, but time lost, now we have "under maintenance state" will take a look after.

setiathome_CUDA: Found 1 CUDA device(s):
Cuda error 'cudaGetDeviceProperties( &cDevProp, i )' in file 'd:/BTR/SETI6/SETI_MB_CUDA/client/cuda/cudaAcceleration.cu' in line 135 : invalid argument.

SO CUDA can't even detect what GPUs your host has. Check if all required DLLs installed, check driver version (at least 180.20 required) and be sure you don't use service (protected) BOINC installation.

yodi

Unfortunately I can confirm this... I am using remote desktop sessions at work and home to access differnt clients and saw the same "initialization errors" like this:
It's known limitation of CUDA - see CUDA FAQ. It will not with remote desktop, but will work with VNC though.

Hello Raistmer,

Thanks for your hint, hard to find the CUDA 2.1 FAQ at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=84440. ;)

I do not want to start a dispute here wasting your time, in case you're interested - just some thoughts:

1. The Nvidia FAQ states CUDA is not working with remote desktop - in fact it worked with v8.
2. The Seti CUDA FAQ (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/cuda_faq.php) states it will not run with the protected install, in fact it does - at least under XP.

So I guess not all the information in those FAQ's are up to date.

If you're interested I can test the stock apps if it's working in general or not. ;) Already installed the stock apps on one system today to see if it's running without a remote desktop connection and would test it with remote desktop tomorrow.

Will have a look on TightVNC for sure, used that before switching to remote desktop sessions some years ago - so it's not a big thing and should work as VNC does not login as 'second' user on the PC (looks like that may be the real root cause as mentioned by Vager before).

Thanks again + cheers,
yodi

elec999

Hello
Here is a link of my Q6600 with no CUDA only 4 cores, running optimized sss3 clients.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hostbycpid&cpid=ff50ecddd761032e2f58f60bfe3ba7cb
Look how well it does.
Here is a link to my Q6600 with 9800+8800 V10 Multi GPU + CPU SSSE3 team
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hostbycpid&cpid=c4231145f02b77aa55256fbefc80b63a
And Finally my Amd3400+ 8800 V9 GPU+CPU AMD SSE3 Team
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hostbycpid&cpid=e786f5ec1dfe91bb54beddb9dfc27893
The CUDA systems barely do any work. Seems like only the cpus is working and the GPU lacks behind. Does 2-3 or three results then the rest is done by the cpu. In other order words I dont think seti is sending much cuda work.
Thank you

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559