+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: just installed Unified Installers, v0.37 for Windows  (Read 27835 times)

Offline hiamps

• Knight o' The Round Table
    • Swans Candles and Supplies
just installed Unified Installers, v0.37 for Windows
« on: 01 Sep 2010, 09:11:30 am »
I noticed that it made my completion times on my GPU's go way up and put them in High Priority mode. I would be careful doing this while Seti is running if you don't already have lots of work or you may not get much depending on how long it takes to settle back down. Before installer GPU estimates were around 14 minutes now 1 hour 14 minutes. I was using the "j" version with the 3.1 Cuda, and it worked fine.

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
Re: just installed Unified Installers, v0.37 for Windows
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:05:07 pm »
Still using the 'f' version and times to complete did quickly drop to normal values, ofcoarse
depending on their AR.
Probably the reason I got almost 1000 MB tasks, yesterday and the day before, 30 and 31 july.
This 470  crunches them very quickly, only VLAR's take some more time, but as SETI is still down, can't
see anything. (And I caught a nasty cold  :-\ )

Offline Skywalker66_Bln

• Squire
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
I work with it too, on my gtx 460

I think it is 1% (20 sec) faster , than the Berkeley Fermi app

Why can nobody download the "Lunatics_x32f_win32_cuda30_preview.exe" separatly ? I think it is bad for fast testing, to go with installer version

greetings

PS: i go back to Berkeley App, i have many -226 Errors
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 12:17:28 pm by Skywalker66_Bln »

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:15:04 pm »
I noticed that it made my completion times on my GPU's go way up and put them in High Priority mode. I would be careful doing this while Seti is running if you don't already have lots of work or you may not get much depending on how long it takes to settle back down. Before installer GPU estimates were around 14 minutes now 1 hour 14 minutes. I was using the "j" version with the 3.1 Cuda, and it worked fine.

As the release notes say
- Though not 'essential', <flops> app_info entries are highly 'recommended', but this installer doesn't put them in.  We haven't come up with a good way for the installer to do this automatically yet...

IOW, if you had <flops> in the previous app_info.xml you'll need to manually copy them into the new one to get the same estimates. The old app_info.xml is of course in the setiathome.berkeley.edu\oldApp_backup\ folder.
                                                                                     Joe

Offline Skywalker66_Bln

• Squire
« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:19:51 pm »
i make it so you say !!!!!!

i go back to Berkeley App, i have many -226 Errors and my cruncher stand still for 24 h  :( :( :( :(

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2010, 02:22:29 pm »
Why can nobody download the "Lunatics_x32f_win32_cuda30_preview.exe" separatly ? I think it is bad for fast testing, to go with installer version

IOW, if you had <flops> in the previous app_info.xml you'll need to manually copy them into the new one to get the same estimates. The old app_info.xml is of course in the setiathome.berkeley.edu\oldApp_backup\ folder.
                                                                                     Joe

Also think it should be possible to download the app separate for those that knows how to edit app_info, especially if you have flops since you need to edit the app_info anyway.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2010, 02:33:30 pm »
Contrary to the popular perception, the main purpose for the installer is to reduce maintenance load on the developers & people providing support.

If it is desired to access the executables & support files for customisation, you can tell the installer to install to an empty folder somewhere other than the project directory, and it will put whatever files you asked for there.  Either using those files in roll your own fashion, or modifying the aistubs as needed and running the supplied aimerge batch file, would be sufficient.

Sorry, I'm not going to be the one making upteen different packages ... I did it before with AKv8, and it's too much work.

Jason

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2010, 02:44:03 pm »
Good tip, haven't thought of installing it in a diff folder, actually didn't think it would work.

Another option is to open the installer in a program like 7-zip and extract the needed files.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 02:59:49 pm by JohnDK »

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2010, 04:43:24 pm »
Found an interesting one this morning. It was an angle range of 0.34 which I've been completing in around 1hour 40 some minutes. This one showed me with CPU time of 00:06:31 and an elapsed time of 05:14:51. I think these are the ones that used to give me the -1 errors when they hung like that. I don't know if it's something you did in the new X32f but if so I'm grateful. So far I haven't had one -1 error this time.

I looked it up in my tasks list and my wingman had completed it on his CPU. From what I could tell it took him about 3000 seconds longer than others he had completed but I didn't check the angle ranges on the rest of his work.. Will be interesting to see for sure if I get credit for it when we come back from the outage. I blamed me playing my Solitaire game but now I'm wondering if it might be something in the WUs.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
...but now I'm wondering if it might be something in the WUs.

In actuality, the reason VLARs have been a problem has been certain long running Pulse finding lengths that likely require a more sophisticated understanding of the multibeam algorithms, and corresponding code design, than is evident in the original cuda multibeam codebase, especially when we consider now obvious issues like the 2 second driver timout & recovery mechanism in Vista & Win7.   These problem sizes aren't entirely restricted to the lower angle ranges, but occur to a less frequent extent at most ARs, so it's still possible to 'choke' on many tasks.

As my personal understanding grows, we all aim to get things more robust as a foundation for 'optimisation proper', and familiarity with the language, tools & hardware capabilities grows, I hope the Cuda codebase can become at least as solid & dependable as the AKv8b & Astropulse CPU ones have become over time. We already proved Fermi, and earlier cards, can generate trash results really fast. It'll take quite a bit of refinement yet IMO, but things should end up 'pretty good'  ;)

Jason

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #10 on: 01 Sep 2010, 05:31:00 pm »
IIRC, I only had one -1 last week while I was trying the x32h build but that might have been before I tried it. This time I haven't seen any yet. I'm still running out that mess I got myself into on the 16th so it is the same batch of WUs. I don't like taking 5 hours to complete a GPU WU but it beats erroring out after that length of time. (They usually hit me when I wasn't looking so I don't know how much time was wasted on them before.)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #11 on: 01 Sep 2010, 06:32:35 pm »
Found an interesting one this morning. It was an angle range of 0.34 which I've been completing in around 1hour 40 some minutes. This one showed me with CPU time of 00:06:31 and an elapsed time of 05:14:51. I think these are the ones that used to give me the -1 errors when they hung like that. I don't know if it's something you did in the new X32f but if so I'm grateful. So far I haven't had one -1 error this time.

I looked it up in my tasks list and my wingman had completed it on his CPU. From what I could tell it took him about 3000 seconds longer than others he had completed but I didn't check the angle ranges on the rest of his work.. Will be interesting to see for sure if I get credit for it when we come back from the outage. I blamed me playing my Solitaire game but now I'm wondering if it might be something in the WUs.

I think it might be a good idea if you'd capture that WU and the result file, pack them in a .zip or .7z, whatever, and attach here. Include the <result> section extracted from client_state.xml if you're willing to take the time to find it. Most likely the extra CPU and Elapsed time are from something which can't be found by rerunning the task, but Gaussian fitting is very data dependent and there's a lot of that for those lower midrange ARs. We might as well take advantage of the outage situation keeping BOINC from immediately deleting everything interesting...
                                                                                         Joe

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #12 on: 01 Sep 2010, 07:11:48 pm »
Ok, let's see if I did this right.Let me know if you need anything else.

Edit:  So much for the first try, hopefully this one will work.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 02:44:33 pm by perryjay »

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2010, 09:06:36 pm »
Unfamiliar tools sometimes can be difficult, and I may not have been clear what I wanted. The actual WU and the result file are in the project directory with filenames 21ap10ag.22479.6202.5.10.29 and 21ap10ag.22479.6202.5.10.29_0 . Maybe create a temporary folder/directory someplace and copy those files to it. If you highlight both then right click on the pair, then the 7-Zip submenu will offer the option to create an archive with the folder name and either a .zip or .7z extension, and will by default save the created archive in the same folder. I do have the good data you extracted from client_state.xml, but you could have it saved in the same folder and highlight all three files to make the archive a full set.
                                                                                           Joe

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
If at first you don't succeed try try again!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 02:51:01 pm by perryjay »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee