+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: just installed Unified Installers, v0.37 for Windows  (Read 27834 times)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: just installed Unified Installers, v0.37 for Windows
« Reply #30 on: 04 Sep 2010, 06:56:31 pm »
Used the new installer earlier today to add a GTX465 to the Frozen 920.
No problems to report. Other than all Cuda tasks are marked as 6.08....no 6.10.
But the new card is crunching away with the existing GTX295.

Looks like a winner here.

So now the kitties are feeling kinda Fermi...............

As far as the S@H servers are considered, it's just "SETI@home Enhanced (anonymous platform, nvidia GPU)", the version number doesn't matter at all. It would be possible to do a conversion to 6.66, and maybe that would be interesting to some. That would make the installer larger and more complex though, since it would need to modify all existing assignments in client_state.xml.

If you put <flops> in the app_info.xml, probably a slightly higher setting for the 610 version would make the servers favor that. They do try to use whatever they consider the "best" in terms of productivity. When we figure out a practical method for the installer to set <flops> perhaps it would be best to do something like that so everybody using x32f will be getting the same version on new work, it could make future upgrades easier.
                                                                                     Joe

msattler

« Reply #31 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:02:31 pm »
I'll just leave it as is, as long as it's just the nomenclature and is not affecting anything else.
The only other side effect I noticed this afternoon is the Seti servers complaining that I don't have a usable version of Seti@home enhanced in my app info file.
But I am assuming that's just another bogus Boinc error message.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #32 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:05:57 pm »
I'm jealous, it never gave me a nifty message like that!   ;D

msattler

« Reply #33 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:17:44 pm »
LOL...nifty as long as it's just Boinc blowing smoke.
Which is not all that unusual.

msattler

« Reply #34 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:36:28 pm »
Odd thing though....
The new GTX465 is slower than my GTX295, even though core, shader, and memory clocks are all significantly higher on the 465.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #35 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:38:38 pm »
That is odd but I'll let one of the Fermi experts on here explain that one.

msattler

« Reply #36 on: 04 Sep 2010, 07:46:09 pm »
I am sure one will be by sooner or later.....LOL.

The 295 is clocked at 684/1476/1188  core/shaders/ram.
The 465 is clocked at 775/1550/1700.........

Yet with all that apparent speed advantage, it is taking longer to crunch WUs on the new card.

EDIT...
If anybody wants to have a look, here's the link to the host's tasks.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=5082339
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2010, 07:53:07 pm by msattler »

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #37 on: 04 Sep 2010, 09:13:45 pm »
The 295 is clocked at 684/1476/1188  core/shaders/ram.
The 465 is clocked at 775/1550/1700.........

Yet with all that apparent speed advantage, it is taking longer to crunch WUs on the new card.

I can't explain that, but a few things may be relevant:

1. All the tasks I could find done by the 465 were VHAR, and although they took longer that may not be a good predictor of what will happen as you get into a normal mix. Much of the work which Jason did for the x32 builds was sort of targeting the VLAR problem, he hasn't really begun to apply optimization for different GPUs.

2. The 465 is the first device, I suppose that means it's the GPU that Windows is using to keep the screen refreshed. Even with no dynamic changes, the GPU still has to refresh the screen many times a second.

3. A 465 GPU with 11 multiprocessors each having 32 cores (shaders in graphics terms) is a different beast than a 295 GPU with 30 multiprocessors each having 8 cores. There are other architectural differences, too, and the possible code changes to take advantage of the newer arrangements haven't all been tried. The 465 would probably do better running more than 1 task at a time like other Fermi cards, but we haven't found a way to do that where a host also has non-Fermi cards. BOINC doesn't have a parameter which can be put in an app_info.xml saying "only use this configuration on the 465", for instance.
                                                                                    Joe

msattler

« Reply #38 on: 05 Sep 2010, 02:52:16 am »
I didn't think about the fact that it is indeed the card the monitor is running from.
I don't know if I can specify in the bios which card to use or if I would have to physically swap the 295 into the top slot to make that happen.

And sometime in the last 7 hours, the 465 fell back to about half speed due to the OC.  Reduced the settings to
763/1525/1700 and restarted it just now.  We'll see if that holds.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #39 on: 05 Sep 2010, 08:09:24 am »
Indeed there is a long way to go with optimisation for Fermi architectures yet.  There are simply so many fundamental architectural changes that it is going to take a while to 'invent' the techniques to use them. 

At this stage, times if running a single workunit shoud be roughly similar to a GTX 275, GTX260-216 OC, or one GPU of a 295.  When OCing, the achilles heel of the GF100 is the memory controller design, being nVidia's first crack at GDDR5.  If anything like my 480 you *should* find if you keep memory clocks near stock, you can get * a bit more* legs out of the core/shaders before instability kicks in.  Fortunately the architecture includes several layers of cache in the design, which clocks with the core, and so memory bandwidth & latency wont become critical until some more general optimsiations are made to make full use of the chip.

Also, that you have a GF100 die, albeit cut down, ir should be able to be clocked quite a lot higher, provided it has adequate power and cooling.  I'd  expect the heatsinking & power regualtion components on the cut down board to be reduced for the model though... For example my eVGA 480 with reference cooling tops out ar ~801MHz core, but I know of others that run the same card at 830MHz wtih water cooling.

For the moment, running 2 instances at a time seems to be the goer, I expect mostly because the kernels will be not using the cache as effectively as they should, and sit waiting for memory sometimes.  That gives opportunity for another instance to sneak in.  That situation wil likely change as the use of the hardware improves.

There are several things on my medium term development schedule that may start to address the situation.  They include migrating fully to the driver api, instead of the cuda runtime, as that removes a layer hiding the cache management capabilities of the chip.  That will require moving away from nVidias CUFFT library, which is good, but the inner partial results are not available for re-use.  Better use of the hardware cache, and reuse of already processed data are fundamental steps to overcoming reliance on memory speed, along with increasing compute density... which given the current applications, and the Cuda Runtime libraries are built to run on the humblest Cuda capable cards, are techniques not used yet.

It'll be a long, but interesting road.

Jason

msattler

« Reply #40 on: 05 Sep 2010, 11:18:06 am »
Well.......the 465 ran all night with the new settings.
I think I will leave the configuration as is for now.  It is crunching it's way through a bunch of shorties.
As has been noted, there does not seem to be a way right now to get the 465 to run 2 tasks in a rig with mixed Fermi/non-Fermi cards installed.  Awaiting further developments from you folks here.

Meow meow.

msattler

« Reply #41 on: 05 Sep 2010, 11:43:06 am »
And then again, I just might.............

The kitties made me do it.
I have another 465 inbound next week
It might be more productive to, instead of having a 465 and 295 in the same rig, to take the 295 out of my air cooled 920 rig and put it into the Frozen 920 so it can host 2 295s and put 2 465s into the air cooled rig so I can take advantage of multi-tasking them.

Meow meow.

msattler

« Reply #42 on: 05 Sep 2010, 06:50:10 pm »
OK....
Did the ol' switcheroo.
The Frozen 920 now has both of my GTX295s, and the air cooled rig now has the GTX465, with the app info mod to run 2 tasks.  Showing  99% usage of the GPU now.
And once again, no problems noticed with the new installer.

Thanx again to all of you who make these things possible.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #43 on: 05 Sep 2010, 08:46:14 pm »
OK....
Did the ol' switcheroo.
The Frozen 920 now has both of my GTX295s, and the air cooled rig now has the GTX465, with the app info mod to run 2 tasks.  Showing  99% usage of the GPU now.
And once again, no problems noticed with the new installer.

Thanx again to all of you who make these things possible.

OK, so 5025084 has one 465 now and another coming, and 5082339 now has [4] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295. Should be good.
                                                                                             Joe

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #44 on: 06 Sep 2010, 10:01:35 am »
Just a note, everything is running smooth. Only one error but on SETI's part. A validate error they didn't get to in time to fix . No -1 errors at all this time around. I'm cleaning up a bunch of _2 and _3s from ghosts timing out and others -9 overflows. Picked up an AP last night. The time is still way off on it but it is only number seven out of the ten I need for them to get their estimates right. I can live with it. Debating whether or not to go ahead and get it done early.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672