+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Need assistance with optimizer  (Read 12629 times)

Kynn

Need assistance with optimizer
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 05:17:32 am »
Not sure if I did something wrong but a few questions...
1) How do I know if I installed the optimization correctly? (i.e. version number in BIONC?)
2) BIONC does work now, but my CPU now runs hot. I had BIONC on 70% before and when I relaunched it my CPU jumped up 40 C (never breaking 40C to over 80C).
3) Looking at task manger I notice that all 8 'CPUs' look like they are crunching, but it is erratic, low percent (0 to 6) then jumps of 80% every few secs.

I would like to really do some crunching when this build is not in use but afraid of burning the CPU out now. Since I have had this on even at low (10 to 20%) trigger CPU hot warnings (80+ C).

What do I need to install to help BIONC?  I have un-installed previous attempt and reinstalled normal BIONC.

Build
Intel i7 960
ASUS P6X58D Premium
DDR3 1600 RAM - 6 GB  (running at 1600)
Radeon GPU (not nVidia so don't think it matter since I can't do GPU crunching)
Main OS drive is a Intel SSD

I put the DDR speed to 1600 (1600 RAM from Cosiar and the mobo supports 1600) so not sure if that is considered a OC but my CPU temp never breaks 40 (until I did this optimization).

Thanks in advance,
Kynn

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Need assistance with optimizer
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:22:09 am »
Not sure if I did something wrong but a few questions...
1) How do I know if I installed the optimization correctly? (i.e. version number in BIONC?)
Look at names of processes taking most of CPU in Windows TaskManager, they should match executables in SETI project folder.

2) BIONC does work now, but my CPU now runs hot. I had BIONC on 70% before and when I relaunched it my CPU jumped up 40 C (never breaking 40C to over 80C).
And do you expect freezing while working? ;) It would be new physical effect ;D
The harder CPU work, the more power it consumes the more heat is emitted the higher temp will be.

3) Looking at task manger I notice that all 8 'CPUs' look like they are crunching, but it is erratic, low percent (0 to 6) then jumps of 80% every few secs.
Most probably it's consequence of your changes in BOINC's CPU occupation. You setted 70% so BOINC will throttle app's processes to match this setting in overall.
Better set CPU usage to 100% and if PC will overheat - install better cooler/open case.

I would like to really do some crunching when this build is not in use but afraid of burning the CPU out now. Since I have had this on even at low (10 to 20%) trigger CPU hot warnings (80+ C).
Don't be afraid, current CPU never "burn" your system will just shutdown in case of overheating. And most probably you will hear very ugly-sounded alarm from PC beeper before ;)

What do I need to install to help BIONC?  I have un-installed previous attempt and reinstalled normal BIONC.
Nothing. Just don't hinder it ;) . You should install opt pack (Lunatic's installer) from this site if still didn't it.

Radeon GPU (not nVidia so don't think it matter since I can't do GPU crunching)
Well, here is ATI-compatible build BTW, search better  :P

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 02:06:08 pm »
If you are now running 8 wu's at once on the optimized client (using hyperthreading), I would think that your cooling is not sufficient.

I suggest you look at an aftermarket cpu cooler, there are several good ones (Thermalright TRUE, Xigmatek S1283, and others)

Also you need to look at the airflow through your case.

My system is an AMD955 running at 3.6Ghz not 3.2, and is running 6 wu's 24/7, with a GTX260 and an 8800GTX all in an Antec 902 case.

CPU is at 52c, GTX260 is at 70c, and 8800GTX is at 78c. Might get a bit hotter in the summer, but I'll worry about that in the summer.

80c is far too hot for your CPU. It shouldn't damage it, because it should enable the thermal protection, and this will slow it down considerably.

I would also check that the CPU cooler is installed correctly still, especially if it is a home build. Think the max for the i7 is 72c (but I would need to check ;) )

HTH, Gizbar.

Kynn

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:20:45 am »
This was a home build, called the fan/heatsink people, RMA the one I had and just installed new one, max temp at 100% now does not exceed 71C.

Thanks for the help :)
Kynn

Garry W

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
?app_info  message keeps appearing that no useable app_info for SETIathome Enhanced is in the app_info.xml file. I have re-downloaded and extracted the files to my machine several times, app_info is still not there.  What next?

Thanks

Garry W

Offline MarkJ

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:23:47 am »
?app_info  message keeps appearing that no useable app_info for SETIathome Enhanced is in the app_info.xml file. I have re-downloaded and extracted the files to my machine several times, app_info is still not there.  What next?

Thanks

Garry W

Where did you place the files you extracted?

They need to go into your BOINC data/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder. Your app_info should also be in there along with all the .exe and .dll files referenced in your app_info. Do this with comms suspended, BOINC down. start BOINC up and see if it gives any error messages about missing files. If okay enable comms again and see how it goes for one work unit, so you might need to set to No new work for project Seti.

Its much simpler to use the unified installer and it will create the app_info and put all the files into the right places for you.

MarkJ

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:08:54 am »
At the moment, it's far more likely to be the buggy server code sending a false alarm - especially if you app_into has worked since you last modified it.

The best advice is: do nothing except wait.

Garry W

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:23:48 am »
Thanks for your response's.  I do use the unified installers when changing or upgrading.  I think I may have to wait until after the Tuesday outage is over to do more, as I am also getting the message in red that states I have reached my daily download limit of 100 wu's.

This is not true as I have received 0 downloads since the server was brought back online 06/14/10.

Perhaps after I run off the 15 or so in cache I should re-install 6.10.56 or try a repair of it.

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:39:59 am »
No!

It's a server problem, not your problem. NOTHING YOU DO AT YOUR END WILL FIX IT.

Leave well alone, and it'll all come right in the end.

Keey an eye on the main SETI message board - say Message from server: (reached daily quota of 100 tasks). When you start seeing people post "Thanks Matt for fixing it", try again: if it still doesn't work for you, that's the time to start asking questions here.

Garry W

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:33:29 pm »
Well Folks, in order to receive any work at all on this machine.  I had to uninstall the optimized app and reinstall boinc.

Kept getting reached daily limit of 108 and your app_info.xml has no useable setiathome enhanced.

As soon as the first sentence was completed, I got about 20 wu's.

I'll try the optimized later when I see the thank you's to Matt for fixing the problem as suggested by Richard H.

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
    • efmer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2010, 01:33:12 pm »
Well Folks, in order to receive any work at all on this machine.  I had to uninstall the optimized app and reinstall boinc.

Kept getting reached daily limit of 108 and your app_info.xml has no useable setiathome enhanced.

As soon as the first sentence was completed, I got about 20 wu's.

I'll try the optimized later when I see the thank you's to Matt for fixing the problem as suggested by Richard H.
Probably just a coincidence.
I have the latest installer version and all of the sudden got 50 tasks all at once. And that's all for the rest of the day.
And the other identical computers with the same errors got.... nothing.
The 50 came in even with the no usable setiathome enhanced message.

What I do notice all work is CPU and none GPU so I rescheduled everything to the GPU.

TThrottle Keep your temperatures controlled.
BoincTasks The best way to view BOINC

Garry W

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:42:15 pm »
Something new has happened overnight!  After my previous post, I noticed that Berkeley is trying to download two files.  Cufft.dll & cudart.dll.  Also a whole bunch of Cuda 608.  Presently doing  a bunch of Cuda 23's.  Which I assume the 23's will have to complete before the two files will download along with the 608's.

Perhaps,just speculation Berkeley is pirating lunatics apps. :o

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:44:24 am »
Perhaps,just speculation Berkeley is pirating lunatics apps. Shocked

That would be odd, since more work is/has and can be(en) done with the Optimized Applications
Also depends how  'widespread' the Opt App has gotten these days, IMO more and more people are using
it, with the Unified Installer, it is far more easy to install, in most cases.
But exceptions are almost a rule.

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:20:18 pm »
And I have to admit that I have in the last week or more like 10 days, read, let alone react, on the messages from BOINC (6.10.56).
Since eveything worked fine, nothing is/was broken, so NO need to repair anything, don't know what anyway!?
IMO it appears to be the most effective 'way' ,  in this 'case' , but I do still have work and had never been out of work. And WU's all validate.

So this kind of  "laziness" , pays of  ;)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672