Forum > Discussion Forum

AMD K8, Windows or Linux for S@H ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello Simon!

Ohh... two ask are still open... ;)

What will be faster on my AMD K8 3200+ , your app (SSE2) for Windows XP or Suse Linux 10.1 ?

Your SSE2 Linux V5.15 is faster than Crunch3rs SSE2 Windows V5.12... (AMD) ?

Thank you!

Greetings!

PS. Iīm looking happy forward to your 64 Bit- apps! ;)

Simon:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are.
The reason I think this is because Pam Heinze's Pentium-D running Linux is continually just as quick as my faster-clocked Pentium-D running Windows.

Both computers run my apps.

AFAIK, her computer runs somewhere at 3.4 GHz (but has 2MB cache/core), while mine runs at 3.85 GHz (with 1MB cache/core). So that would point to a ~10% speed advantage of Linux over Windows, but that's definitely not a very exact comparison, as she is using a generic SSE2 app, and I'm using an Intel-only SSE3 app. On Windows, the speed advantage of SSE3 > generic SSE2 is quite a bit.

More motivation for me to release more Linux versions.

HTH,
Simon.

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello Simon!

You know, I want the fastest app for my PCs... ;)
For the science! ...not for the Credits!

When itīs like this that LINUX is faster than Windows, then I must go to LINUX...

But in the past when I had the AMD K8 new, I installed Suse LINUX and then I wanted to install BOINC...
...please donīt laugh...! :)
I couldnīt install BOINC... :(

Now I think I must take YAST or something else (Suse LINUX) to install programms, or?
(not with "click doubly" on the programm icon... ;) )

Then I bought Windows, because I know there more... :)

But when I would like to have the fastest app... then I must learn more about LINUX! :)

Greetings!

Simon:
It's actually very simple to install BOINC on Linux now.

You can download the official BOINC installation package for Linux from the main site, it will be called something.sh.

Then all you need to do is:
sh something.sh

and voilā, all done.

Then start up BOINC (this is actually the more difficult part):

First time:

--- Code: ---cd BOINC
./boinc -return_results_immediately -attach_project http://setiathome.berkeley.edu youraccountkey

--- End code ---

The first time you run BOINC, it will download the official (stock) application and some WUs and start crunching. Wait until it starts a result, then quit BOINC again.

Now is the time to install the optimized app - copy the app and the app_info.xml to BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu, as on Windows.

Then, and whenever you need to start it again:

--- Code: ---./boinc -return_results_immediately -redirectio -daemon

--- End code ---

./boinc -help explains what the options do. -redirectio -daemon means it will "detach" or run in the background and just write a text log instead of staying open on your console.

HTH,
Simon.

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello Simon!

Iīm sorry for this question... ;)

When Iīm using the LINUX BOINC Version, I have the same or nearly the same look of the opened Window?
To look to the projects, work, messages... and so on...

Or itīs like this, that itīs running only as a service in the background with only command lines and messages?
Not like under Windows?

And the code?
Itīs like under Windows: "start/ implement" ("Start/ Ausführen")

Itīs not like this that I can start BOINC only to click on the icon? ;)

Because I thought Suse LINUX is a little bit like Windows...

Greetings!

...it will be a hard work for me... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version