Forum > Discussion Forum

AMD K8, Windows or Linux for S@H ?

<< < (3/3)

Simon:
You can run it both on the shell and on xwindows. And it shouldn't be too tough ;)

What might be a problem is missing libraries, but they should be included with any recent Suse version. Just don't use an old one, preferrably.

You could also use Knoppix and a usb stick to just test it without having to install Linux at all - Knoppix is based on Slackware, and really is very nice. Just download the ISO, burn to CD, and boot from it. Complete device support, works great - all data you want to keep should go on the USB stick.

Regards,
Simon.

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello Simon!

Thanks a lot for your support and time!

I will go with my other questions about LINUX to some other people, to nerves them... ;)
Because I think you have enough other work to do! :)

Greetings!

PS. I wanted to take Suse LINUX 10.1 from the last "cīt spezial Linux, 05/2006" magazine... :)
Maybe I will start with Knoppix first... ;)

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello!

I installed Suse Linux V10.1- 64Bit
And I wanted to use the Boinc Linux V5.4.9- 64Bit and the S@H Linux V5.13- 64Bit

Now Iīm feeling very stupid... :(

What must I do after the download?

Greetings!

---------------------------------------------
...I had unpacked the file and then I had:

a file "boinc_5.4.9_opteron-64-linux-gnu"
and a folder named: project folder

but when I click on "boinc_5.4.9_opteron-64-linux-gnu" nothing happen...

I wanted to install the programm with YAST over the "Console with instructions" but I couldnīt because some errors messages came... :(
---------------------------------------------

citroja:
Dirk,

I think I saw that you had this answered in a different thread so I won't re-answer it.

BTW how did using Knoppix go??

Simon,

I had forgotten about Knoppix I haven't used it in 3 maybe 4 years. I know that I burn the ISO to a CD/DVD and run the OS from there...but my question is this:

IF I have a spare USB key/stick/thumb-drive can I just put the ISO on the drive and tell the BIOS to boot from USB-(slot X)?? I know I can boot from a USB port since I have had to do that in the past with an external HDD, FDD, or CD/DVD drive -- mostly in emergencies!!

OR would I have to mount the ISO onto the USB key with a program like "Alcohol 120%", etc.????

Thanks
citroja

Dirk Sadowski:

--- Quote from: citroja on 15 Aug 2006, 11:41:11 pm ---Dirk,
I think I saw that you had this answered in a different thread so I won't re-answer it.

BTW how did using Knoppix go??...
---CUT---
--- End quote ---

Hello!

Now I didnīt used Knoppix...
I installed Suse LINUX 10.1- 64 Bit on my AMD K8 3200+ and I have now the "old" Windows XP too on the HDD...
Iīm very interesting how the WUs are will be with the Suse LINUX 64 Bit and the Boinc 64 Bit & S@H 64 Bit too...

Greetings!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version