Forum > Discussion Forum

AMD K8, Windows or Linux for S@H ?

(1/3) > >>

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello!

Now I have Windows XP for my AMD K8...

What will be faster on my AMD K8 3200+ ,  Simons app for Windows XP or Suse Linux 10.1 ?

Maybe we will have in the future an optimized 64 Bit- S@H (Windows/ Linux) app?
It will be faster than a 32 Bit version?

Greetings!

EDIT:
Simons SSE2 Linux V5.15 is faster than Crunch3rs SSE2 Windows V5.12...?
(I know, in around one month itīs not possible to take Crunch3rs app... because the new V5.17 will come )

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello!

I found now some information:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU type AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

Measured floating point speed 3420.95 million ops/sec <<< WinXP
Measured integer speed 11194.63 million ops/sec

Measured floating point speed 3443.46 million ops/sec <<< Linux 32bit
Measured integer speed 10938.23 million ops/sec
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I donīt know which Boinc Version and so on...

What does this mean, now?

Higher Measured floating point speed and lower Measured integer speed (Linux)
is better than
lower Measured floating point speed and higher Measured integer speed ? (Windows)

Or the other way?

Or is this maybe only measuring fluctuation ?

Greetings!

Simon:
Comparing 32-bit Linux applications, yes, my apps are decidedly quicker than Crunch3rs. However, he compiled a 64-bit version that is a bit quicker still (I haven't gotten around to doing that but will soon).

The differing benchmarks are pretty meaningless, they don't differ that much really (and unless you crunch other projects than S@H, they will not matter anymore anyway).

S@H spends the most time doing floating-point operations, by the way, so higher FP speed will get higher performance, usually. Integer calculations also happen, but they have far less time penalty (and so don't really change much in regards to performance).

Regards,
Simon.

Dirk Sadowski:
Hello Simon!

Thanks for time and answer!

I was searching and searching and after a lot of time I found two other AMD K8 3200+...
O.K. I donīt know their Socket... because I have the 754 and maybe they have the 939...

Chuck R. Bell
Linux optimized S@H Enhanced application by Crunch3r
Version info: Linux x86_64 SSE2 64 bit V5.12 by Crunch3r

Loci
Optimized Linux S@H Enhanced application
Version info: Linux SSE2 (P4/A64) 32-bit V5.15 by KWSN - Chicken of Angnor

And my
Windows optimized S@H Enhanced application by Crunch3r Version info: Windows SSE2 V5.12 by Crunch3r

Maybe this help you a little bit to look to the performance of the apps...

So long I can use Crunch3rs Windows V5.12 app, I think itīs more faster than your Windows and Linux apps (for AMDs), I use his app...
But, of course you know, in a short time the S@H V5.17 comes...
Then I "must" come to your apps.. ;)

And itīs nice that we have you! :)

But then, I donīt want to buy the Windows 64 Bit... I will change to Linux to the 64 Bit Version and to your 64 Bit app! :)
But now, I know nothing about Linux, so it will be not so easy for me... ;)

But when the Linux 64 Bit Version will be faster then the 32 Bit Windows and Linux Version... I must do this! I see this correct, or?

In the past we talked about... I hope you will remember... that maybe the other good guys and you comes together and you all make super optimized apps...
There is something new?
I found a Linux 64 Bit Version
Maybe you can do an new Linux 64 Bit V5.17 with him? :)

Greetings!

Simon:
Hi Dirk,

I just found that page myself, yesterday, after someone linked to it on the main S@H boards.

Pretty amazing that I never even heard of the guy until now - sure didn't make an announcement that I saw. Still, 64-bit Linux versions should not be as much of a problem as on Windows (although I have now been contacted by someone who has successfully built with VS 2005, which by extension will allow 64-bit executables).

So anyway, what I'm trying to say is this:
64-bit apps will see the light of day soon, both on Windows and Linux.

Also, the apps he's offering are all compiled with gcc, not ICC/IPP, so his results may not be applicable fully. Still, worth getting in contact :)

Regards,
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version