+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Are the "NEW" V8 Optimized S@H Apps new or not?  (Read 8965 times)

CElliott

Are the "NEW" V8 Optimized S@H Apps new or not?
« on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:55:14 am »
I received an email that "SETI@home: A user has posted to 'New Optimized Apps Links -- READ ONLY THREAD'."  On the message board is this mesage dated: Posted 13 Dec 2008 22:02:04 UTC.  However, the message says "Science App Release Updated 7.17.08 w."  The executable files on //lunatics.kwsn.net pointed to by that message have a date of 4/28/2008.  The file lengths are the same as those we already have installed.  What is going on?  Are these files new or not?  The combined Astropulse/S@H *.7z files do not have the AP client in them.  Why not?  Even though the optimized AP client is much faster than the stock client, almost no one is using it.  I started downloading these files at 5:51 AM; it is now 8:25, none if the files are installed, and still I have no idea what is going on.  Part of the reason that so few people are using the optimized clients has to be that the instructions are so opaque and it takes so long to download and install the files.  I have DSL; it is not the DL time.  It is setting up the directories, downloading the files, extracting them, turning off Boinc, moving the files, editing app_info.xml, restarting boinc, etc. etc.  Three of my computers have SSE4.1, but that client will not run on my machines.  What is the secret there?  Why can't you guys make a deal with the S@H people so that the optimized cllients can be downlooaded automatically just by updating the app_info.xml file or something?  The optimized clients are fantasitc; I sincerely appreciate all your work.  But only a small percentage of the people are using them.  Part of the reason has to be that people see that their computer takes, for example, 153,264.90 seconds  (42 hrs, 34 min, 25 secs) to process an AP WU, while the other computer takes 47,798.95 seconds (= 13:16:39) (see http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=374813750) with nearly the same computers.  If I did not know about optimized clients or where to find them, I would get discouraged and quit.  Will someone please tell me what is going on?  Will someone please take some actions to make the optimized clients easier to use, more accessible, and more widely known???????

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Are the "NEW" V8 Optimized S@H Apps new or not?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:16:43 am »
1) No, the apps themselves are not new: they are refreshed packages of the old apps, with for instance updated version numbers in the app_info files.

2) The combined Astropulse/S@H packages *DO* have the AP client in them: I've just re-downloaded them from the S@H links and checked. In one or two cases, the folder depth seems to have got a bit muddled - maybe Gecko can tidy them up (again!) and replace the packages in the download area.

3) I had no trouble downloading the packages - each of the combined AP/MB packs (the biggest ones) came down in about 6 seconds each - seems reasonable to me. I suggest you cancel the download and try again.

4) Another reasson for re-packaging the existing apps is that the new combination downloads have an appropriate, pre-tested combination app_info.xml file too - no more user editing required.

5) This is the first I've heard of the SSE4.1 app failing to run on an SSE4.1 processor. Which CPU is it, exactly (make and model number)? I'm sure the programmers will be interested to follow this up.

6) You'll have to ask Berkeley about hosting the apps for automatic download.

Did I miss anything? It's a bit difficult to pick out your questions when there aren't any line breaks.

[Edit: I tried looking for your SSE4.1 hosts at SETI, but I couldn't find your user name. I remember you from the SETI Beta site, but your account there doesn't link back to the main site either. You're going to have to help us with a link on this one.]
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2008, 09:26:14 am by Haselgrove »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:20:26 am »
  If I did not know about optimized clients or where to find them, I would get discouraged and quit.  Will someone please tell me what is going on?  Will someone please take some actions to make the optimized clients easier to use, more accessible, and more widely known???????
Well, so take some action to find them and not to be discouraged.
I can tell you what going on. There is new Lunatics release, created just to address your woes - to make opt apps more easy in use, to make them more accessible and make them more widely known.
All that required from You is to read first page of this site, to download appropriate clients and to go to all your friends and tell them to install these new clients too (to make opt app even more known ).

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:27:54 am »
I would imagine that your team membership and team-mates could also help with the publicity.

CElliott

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2008, 03:21:12 pm »
What friends?  I am a pain in the a...

Gecko_R7

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2008, 03:48:29 pm »

I think you misunderstand.  ;)  The posters made an honest effort to answer your questions.  That said, we are always looking for ways to improve not only the application, but also ease of use (recently announced "combo" packages for ex.)  However, it should be clear that optimized applications are meant to be "elective" and may require more expertise and/or familiarity by the user.  They really are intended for advanced users  ;), though as I previously mentioned...we try to make it as simple as possible..when possible.

The message boards, specifically "Number Crunching" Forum at the main Berkeley site IS the main focal point of the project.  There are clear threads detailing available optimized applications w/ not only references to this site, but also direct download links.  There is also a Teams Forum and you can also obtain team lists via your account page as well.  MANY teams announce new developments at Seti & also of what occurs here, but it is up to the TEAM to keep their own boards active.  There are some excellent, highly active teams out there that keep VERY up to date in announcements to their members.
So...users can use their team as a way to stay informed as well.

The efforts here at Lunatics are independent of Seti Main & this is largely a development forum.
However, we do welcome general membership, and folks that want to stay more apprised of the current "state of development" tend to gravitate here anyway.

We try our best to "please" & be helpful...but also recognize that the sheer vastmess of users invariably means that there are also as many opinions & different expectations to satisfy.

I hope this better answers your questions.  :)
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2008, 03:55:20 pm by Gecko_R7 »

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2008, 06:58:19 pm »

You can be a member of a team without necessarily being friends with the other members ;D !

I was referring to the account at SETI Beta where somebody with the same name as you appears to be a member of BOINC Synergy: those teams play a great part in encouraging (and assisting) users to benefit from the optimised apps.

If it's a different CElliott, then I apologise for making the connection.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672