+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Newbie Alert!  (Read 14696 times)

SpaceLinks

Newbie Alert!
« on: 30 Sep 2007, 09:22:53 pm »
Hey, Fellow Crunchers!

I am new to the lunatics.at site. I know that I have a lot to learn, so I have questions to ask. Thank you in advance for your help!

I have previously used Crunch3r's apps, and am ready to use the ones on this site. However, I am unsure of which one to use.

From what I can gather, my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ would work with the SSE app in the lunatics.at Downloads section. Is that correct?

Also, how is the SSE app working out? I have tried to analyze the different tests people have run and posted here and at the setiathome site. From looking at the test runs, I'm not quite sure whether the SSE app makes an appreciable difference in performance.

Please tell me what you think! I really appreciate it.

John

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Newbie Alert!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2007, 10:24:56 pm »
Hi There,
   It's been really quiet here for the last two weeks or so, So I'll try to answer as best I can, although I am sure someone can correct me or enhance on it for you. 

If you are comparing the Chicken SSE 2.4 versus Crunch3r's SSE 2.4V they will be basically the same,  they are from the same sources, though I beleive Cruncher's is newer and *maybe* a couple of percent faster.  Also if running Vista you'd need the Crunch3r's 2.4V As I understand it (Hence the 'V')

Having said all that, I own neither Windows Vista nor an AMD CPU, so there may be more to it.

On the Other hand if you are comparing the SSE versus stock there is a fair performance difference (AMD not sure though), but not as much as there used to be because a lot of the work from the guys here filtered through to the stock application. (A good thing :D)

Jason

[Note: I suspect Our posts will be rightly moved from GPU Crunching to somewhere else pretty soon :D]
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2007, 10:34:01 pm by j_groothu »

Offline TouchuvGrey

• Knight o' The Round Table
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2007, 10:24:32 am »
OK, fairly new here too though not to SETI@Home.
Vista Home Premium here, AMD Athalon 64X2
4600+ with 4 gigs of RAM. What is the best
optimized app for me to run ?

Mike
Because we are NOT alone.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2007, 08:32:56 pm »
OK, fairly new here too though not to SETI@Home.
Vista Home Premium here, AMD Athalon 64X2
4600+ with 4 gigs of RAM. What is the best
optimized app for me to run ?

Mike

Crunch3r's page has the Vista compatible builds. For 64 bit Vista, you'd want "2.4V Windows x64 SSE2 EM64T & AMD64", for 32 bit Vista "2.4V Windows x32 SSE2 AMD".
                                                        Joe

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2007, 10:16:24 am »
Some addition.
If no improvement was made in 2.4V after initial release, on AMD chip you will go better with 32-bit SSE2 opt app both under 32 and 64 bit OS. It's not true for Intel, but for AMD it's so. And 64-bit os will runs 32-bit faster than 32-bit os does (Win2003 server and WinXp at least, not going to setup Vista :P )

Offline Devaster

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • I like Duke !!!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2007, 11:00:17 am »
use 2.4V due variable credit multipier !!!

pls admins move this to correct forum ....
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2007, 11:07:01 am by Devaster »

ScanMan

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:24:31 am »
Question?

Is 2.4V strictly for Windows Vista?  Also, will this version work with BOINC ver 5.10.30?

Regards

Matt

Gecko_R7

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:53:42 am »
Question?

Is 2.4V strictly for Windows Vista?  Also, will this version work with BOINC ver 5.10.30?

Regards

Matt

2.4V is Vista friendly.  Yes, it will work w/ 5.10.30

ScanMan

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:57:24 am »
Question?

Regards

Matt

ok great !!    How soon will it start working once it is installed?   Will the current WU have to be completed before the app will start working?

Regards

Matt

ScanMan

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:04:43 am »
Another question regarding Intel CPU'S ?

I have an IBM Intellistation M pro with Type :   Intel Xeon
Internal Specification :   Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
Codename :   Prestonia
Revision :   C1
Technology :   0.13µ
CPU ID :   F.2.7
CPU IDEx :   F.2.7
Brand ID :   B
Microcode :   MU0F2728
which intel catagory would this fall under  Intel P4 or Intel PM ?

regards

Matt

Gecko_R7

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:06:16 am »
Question?

Regards

Matt

ok great !!    How soon will it start working once it is installed?   Will the current WU have to be completed before the app will start working?

Regards

Matt

The WU will use 2.4V as soon as you fire-up Boinc and run.  It picks up from the spot of the last checkpoint.
Don't forget to make sure you put Crunch3r's app_info.xml in the same folder as the 2.4V application.
BOINC needs the app_info file to recognize the ap and run it.

Gecko_R7

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:07:21 am »

regards

Matt

Pentium 4 based.  It's a Xeon version of the Northwood core (which was a good performer back then).  You have Hyperthreading on that chip, so you CAN run 2 instances of Seti if you select 2 CPUs  in your S@H preferences.  Your WU completion times will increase, but you should actually do slightly more work @ 3-5% than by only running 1. There have been some reports that HT w/ Xeons isn't quicker on Seti.  You can play w/ it & see how this works on yours.  Note:  You don't need 2 copies of the application, just set your Seti preferences (in your account settings) to 2 CPUs.  Have fun.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 11:15:42 am by Gecko_R7 »

ScanMan

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2007, 12:41:56 pm »

regards

Matt

Pentium 4 based.  It's a Xeon version of the Northwood core (which was a good performer back then).  You have Hyperthreading on that chip, so you CAN run 2 instances of Seti if you select 2 CPUs  in your S@H preferences.  Your WU completion times will increase, but you should actually do slightly more work @ 3-5% than by only running 1. There have been some reports that HT w/ Xeons isn't quicker on Seti.  You can play w/ it & see how this works on yours.  Note:  You don't need 2 copies of the application, just set your Seti preferences (in your account settings) to 2 CPUs.  Have fun.

Thanks for the additional information on the Xeon Chip.     ;)  I noticed in the account settings their is a setting for home, school and work.    In the home setting it shows 16 for # CPU'S however the default is 2 which is correct?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 12:49:34 pm by ScanMan »

Gecko_R7

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2007, 01:04:24 pm »

Thanks for the additional information on the Xeon Chip.     ;)  I noticed in the account settings their is a setting for home, school and work.    In the home setting it shows 16 for # CPU'S however the default is 2 which is correct?

Under Account settings, Computing Preferences, "on multi-processors use at most: 2 processors", is what you're looking for if a single-socket Xeon w/ HT, if you have a 2-cpu board, then change the value to "4".  This again is if you want to enable HT (a 2nd "virtual" CPU).  If you want to crunch w/ just the 1 physical core, then specify 1 instead of 2.

ScanMan

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2007, 01:26:48 pm »

Under Account settings, Computing Preferences, "on multi-processors use at most: 2 processors", is what you're looking for if a single-socket Xeon w/ HT, if you have a 2-cpu board, then change the value to "4".  This again is if you want to enable HT (a 2nd "virtual" CPU).  If you want to crunch w/ just the 1 physical core, then specify 1 instead of 2.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions  :)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672