+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: SETI MB CUDA for Linux  (Read 387592 times)

Offline riofl

• Knight o' The Round Table
Re: SETI MB CUDA for Linux
« Reply #660 on: 09 Apr 2010, 10:57:03 am »
done.. aborted 973 of them all with dates between the 13th and 19th. until im sure my cache level is gonna be ok im keeping it at 1 day.. vlars are now down to 164 with most dates in may so that is not a problem :)

Offline riofl

« Reply #661 on: 11 Apr 2010, 09:42:56 am »
does boinc/seti-app support ATI Radeon cards yet? if so anyone have any performance results compared to nvidia? i have been looking at reviews and comparisons but outside of gaming graphs very little is to the point for this specific application.

what is dissapointing is the performance of the fermi cards compared to a gtx285 outside of gaming. the TDP is horrendously high for the performance points you appear to get.. until i see one actually in use in this application to compare average time differences i still tend to lean to the gtx285. the gtx470 isnt bad for TDP and is mildly higher than the 285 but the 480 appears to be a power hog for what it appears to give back.

the radeon cards appear to outperform nvidia in gaming and TDP  but how do they compare when processing workunits?

Offline riofl

« Reply #662 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:27:37 pm »
ok this is driving me insane :)

does anyone know where the boinc_client gui stores its list of computers in its pulldown? i have a mess of old ones in there and cannot find where it keeps them. i did a search in the /var/lib/boinc dir for the names of a few of the computers.. nothing... searched /etc, tried a locate for boinc and nothing shows up.

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #663 on: 11 Apr 2010, 07:00:11 pm »

does anyone know where the boinc_client gui stores its list of computers in its pulldown? i have a mess of old ones in there and cannot find where it keeps them. i did a search in the /var/lib/boinc dir for the names of a few of the computers.. nothing... searched /etc, tried a locate for boinc and nothing shows up.
On linux :
Look for ".BOINC Manager" and in there the section starting with "[Compter MRU]" should contain what you are searching.
_\|/_
U r s

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #664 on: 12 Apr 2010, 05:46:59 am »
does boinc/seti-app support ATI Radeon cards yet? if so anyone have any performance results compared to nvidia? i have been looking at reviews and comparisons but outside of gaming graphs very little is to the point for this specific application.

what is dissapointing is the performance of the fermi cards compared to a gtx285 outside of gaming. the TDP is horrendously high for the performance points you appear to get.. until i see one actually in use in this application to compare average time differences i still tend to lean to the gtx285. the gtx470 isnt bad for TDP and is mildly higher than the 285 but the 480 appears to be a power hog for what it appears to give back.

the radeon cards appear to outperform nvidia in gaming and TDP  but how do they compare when processing workunits?

Yes fermi seems a flop (for what it asks anyway). Unless it is proven otherwise, better to wait for fermi2. Till then a gtx295 still remains king for seti I think.

The problem with ati is inferior drivers (at least for linux) and inferior features and development tools for GPU computing.

Offline riofl

« Reply #665 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:10:25 am »
ahh...  ok.. it seems newegg stopped carrying the 295. at least it doesnt show in the listings. i will keep trying them and looking.

Offline riofl

« Reply #666 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:11:21 am »

On linux :
Look for ".BOINC Manager" and in there the section starting with "[Compter MRU]" should contain what you are searching.

that did it! thanks!
 i would never have thought to look for that combination.

ScitechGrid

« Reply #667 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
Seems like the new Fermi GPUs are a big disappointment, maybe they will relase faster cards later

Edboard

« Reply #668 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:22:55 pm »
I wanted to buy one, but as I'm milky cruncher too, I'm very disappointed.

Offline riofl

« Reply #669 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:11:27 am »
i can only speak from impressions from lots of reading about them... unless you are an avid gamer or a graphics artist they really don't have any real improvements especially for number crunchers. in fact my opinion so far is they are power hogs and why should i replace a gt200 series for the 400 series to get basically the same performance i get now while chewing up more watts?

maybe the version 2 will be better.. for now i am sticking with gt200 based cards
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 09:08:22 am by riofl »

Offline riofl

« Reply #670 on: 07 May 2010, 02:06:35 pm »
just fyi my line will be down starting tomorrow for the next 10 days or so. i am switching providers and the new provider will not install as long as an existing t1 is installed by another carrier.
stupid.....

ill be taking a forced vacation next week due to this.

Offline riofl

« Reply #671 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:22:57 am »
is anyone else getting these messages all of a sudden, or did something go wrong in my setup? i checked my app_info and all is as it has been..

Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: No work sent
Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: Your app_info.xml file doesn't have a usable version of SETI@home Enhanced.
Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: (reached daily quota of 100 tasks)

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #672 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:16:21 am »
is anyone else getting these messages all of a sudden, or did something go wrong in my setup? i checked my app_info and all is as it has been..

Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: No work sent
Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: Your app_info.xml file doesn't have a usable version of SETI@home Enhanced.
Thu 10 Jun 2010 05:44:04 AM EDT   SETI@home   Message from server: (reached daily quota of 100 tasks)

Yes, all over the main project message board since they fiddled with the scheduler to accommodate Fermi.

What OS are you getting this with, and what (if any) <platform> tag do you have in app_info.xml? I'm not getting the "doesn't have a useable version" message (and I am getting work) - but then, I just use bog-standard 32-bit Windows here.

Offline riofl

« Reply #673 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:42:07 am »
gentoo linux x86_64 (amd64 although i run intel hardware)

running boinc 6.10.17 because the last 'new' one i tried loaded me up with 6000+ workunits before i realized what was happening :)

easiest thing is just to post my entire app_info. it is short. it has worked well for a long time until this recent change they did.

<app_info>                                                                                                                 
<app>                                                                                                                       
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>                                                                                           
</app>                                                                                                                     
<file_info>                                                                                                                 
<name>AK_V8_linux64_ssse3</name>                                                                                           
<executable/>                                                                                                               
</file_info>                                                                                                               
<app_version>                                                                                                               
<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>                                                                                   
<version_num>603</version_num>                                                                                             
<file_ref>                                                                                                                 
<file_name>AK_V8_linux64_ssse3</file_name>                                                                                 
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app>
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>setiathome-CUDA_3.0_6.09.x86_64</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>libcudart.so.3</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>libcufft.so.3</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>608</version_num>
<plan_class>cuda</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>0.350000</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>0.350000</max_ncpus>
<coproc>
<type>CUDA</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>
<file_ref>
<file_name>setiathome-CUDA_3.0_6.09.x86_64</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>libcudart.so.3</file_name>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>libcufft.so.3</file_name>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2010, 08:44:33 am by riofl »

Offline riofl

« Reply #674 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:54:30 am »
interesting.... i just noticed in the cuda app it has a _6.09 in it... i assume it is a 6.09 version compared to the 6.08 i have previously run however my version is still 608... so on a whim i changed the version to 609 and now i am not seeing those red letter messages...

will give it a bit to see if it really is gone. odd...

crap.. i just looked.. i now have no cuda jobs at all damn boinc deleted them!! i really wish it would not attempt to think for itself it only messes up every time!

oh well

debating to leave that 609 in there or change it back to 608

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats