Forum > Discussion Forum

AstroPulse v7 performance illustration

(1/3) > >>

Raistmer:
Here is very initial graph of APv7 performance for CPU and ATi GPU.

Upper part illustrates CPU APv7 run times dependence from blanking. As one can see dependence still linear but now time decreases with blanking % increase rather than increases as for APv6. With increased blanking there are actually less data to search so new version better reflects this.

Lower part of graph illustrates ATi GPU performance in purely default config with all CPU cores busy and w/o any additional params in config files.
As one can see it's not the best way to run GPU app. elapsed time fluctuiates a lot that decreases host performance.
Better way to either free CPU core or use -cpu_lock switch that will be tested later.

EDIT: to describe test configuration more precise: results collected at time where host running ONLY APv7 tasks both on CPU and GPU. No APv6 or MB7 tasks in progress through data collection. Some non-BOINC activity still possible but not too heavy.

Mike:
I experienced the same.
On CPU higher blankings result in shorter run times whilst on GPU processing times dont differ much on my fast GPU.
But it depends whats running on the CPU.
On my FX running APs on CPU and GPU at the same time slows down GPU a little bit ~500 seconds.

Richard Haselgrove:
That's really good news on the blanked task runtimes - worth all the effort.

One of the ways we could approach the CPU core release generically, rather than by expecting people to make manual adjustments post-installation, would be to increase the CPU usage value in the AI stub. Remembering that BOINC will allow over-commitment of the CPU by any fractional amount up to 0.99, I'd suggest we use a fraction above 0.50, but below 0.99.

For example, I tend to use 0.67. That means that if two AP tasks run together, BOINC automatically releases one extra core - three tasks, and it's an extra two, but it's still two with four tasks running. There's no exact science behind that choice, just a gut feeling (and I don't usually run AP anyway), but it's an approach we have time to consider and fine tune before the live release (I hope).

Raistmer:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on 24 Aug 2014, 04:58:26 am ---That's really good news on the blanked task runtimes - worth all the effort.

One of the ways we could approach the CPU core release generically, rather than by expecting people to make manual adjustments post-installation, would be to increase the CPU usage value in the AI stub. Remembering that BOINC will allow over-commitment of the CPU by any fractional amount up to 0.99, I'd suggest we use a fraction above 0.50, but below 0.99.

For example, I tend to use 0.67. That means that if two AP tasks run together, BOINC automatically releases one extra core - three tasks, and it's an extra two, but it's still two with four tasks running. There's no exact science behind that choice, just a gut feeling (and I don't usually run AP anyway), but it's an approach we have time to consider and fine tune before the live release (I hope).

--- End quote ---

Will it free core when single instance runing?

Richard Haselgrove:

--- Quote from: Raistmer on 24 Aug 2014, 05:54:25 am ---
Will it free core when single instance runing?

--- End quote ---

Not unless we go all the way up to 1.00 - which I think is possibly (but open to discussion) overkill for general users. And if we do that, we consume a whole thread of CPU for each and every AP in progress - which, again, I think is a bit over the top. Not every user is a hardcore optimizer! (and those who are, can look after themselves, as always).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version