Forum > Discussion Forum

AstroPulse v7 performance illustration

<< < (3/3)

Raistmer:
And very preliminary (tiny dataset for now) data with 1 CPU core freed and defaults for GPU app.
As one can see there is no noticeable speedup for CPU apps in this mode (host has real cores and big enough cache perhaps, it's Q9450) and not improvement for GPU app comparing with -cpu_lock and full CPu load.
All this preliminary conclusions means that freeing 1 core in tested case provide worse performance than -cpu_lock option (host misses 1 core production w/o improvements on other devices).
Will see if this will hold true with more data collected.

Raistmer:
And another update. Now due to long mess for CPU app selection on beta I collected many GPU tasks paired with 7.00 plain CPU app.
1 core was idle still. But as one can see, sometimes leaving 1 core free not enough. Maybe there were moments of non-BOINC host activity, maybe just unlocky OS decision, but elapsed times in this config definitely bigger sometimes than with all cores busy but -cpu_lock enabled.

Data sets now not compaable though, for idle core much more points aquired.

Next will be 2 GPU tasks per HD6950 with -cpu_lock enabled and all CPU cores busy again.

Raistmer:
Promised long ago graph for 2 instances with -cpu_lock on fully loaded CPU.
As one can see there is additional benefit to run 2 instances in my config. Also, -cpu_lock works well in this case too.
As side note, x86 SSE3 AP works better than SSE x86 on Core2 Quad at full load (orange dots vs black and grey ones).

Now I switch configuration quite drastically (APv7 was released on main) so next tests will be in my "production environment" conditions. That is, all CPU cores occupoied with latest MB (AKv8) app while GPU runs AP (initial run will be with same scaled defaults and -cpu_lock x2, to merge dots between all prev and new ones ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version