+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Windows installer v0.40  (Read 34270 times)

Offline William

• Global Moderator
  • Knight Templar
Windows installer v0.40
« on: 26 Mar 2012, 09:38:24 am »
Updated Installers, v0.40 for Windows
Available now in the Downloads section
[/url]

Changes since last release (v0.39) are:

-Update of all Astropulse applications to support AP 6.01

Please see this thread for full release notes. READ THEM before you install.

Use at your own risk - 'your mileage may vary'

While we take great care to find issues while alpha and beta testing, our testing systems comprise only a limited sample of what is out there and can't account for Murphy's Law.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 09:40:52 am by barry »

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: Windows installer v0.40
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:08:37 pm »
Since upgrading to from 0.39 to 0.40 I am getting loads of Cuda 6.09 downloading where as before i was getting Cuda 6.10.  Is this just a coincidence or something starting to fester on my setup ??

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:16:53 pm »
Since upgrading to from 0.39 to 0.40 I am getting loads of Cuda 6.09 downloading where as before i was getting Cuda 6.10.  Is this just a coincidence or something starting to fester on my setup ??

Shouldn't be anything on your setup. Did you use the 32-bit of the 64-bit installer - I'll check them (well, the one you used :P)

Could you post your HostID number, or a link to your host at SETI, so I can check there too, please?
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2012, 09:34:54 pm by Richard Haselgrove »

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:09:51 am »
It was the 64bit option that I selected.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=5405224

Thanks for your help.

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:06:26 am »
It was the 64bit option that I selected.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=5405224

Thanks for your help.

Well, first the good news. That host is returning good work, which is validating properly, using the correct application - by that, I mean it will already be using the applications from this installer, even though it's still working through old tasks issued before you used the new installer.

I can't see anything that would explain the Cuda 6.09 - in fact, I was more surprised to see how many tasks were being assigned to the CPU, even for a 12-core i7. It takes a lot of searching to find the Cuda stuff in those 2695 tasks. When you see 'Cuda 6.09', what words do you see, exactly? (cuda), (cuda23), (cuda_fermi) - or something different?

It might be helpful if you could zip up the app_info.xml that the installer has made in your project directory and attach it here. Do it as a zip (or 7z), please, rather than pasting the text, so we can see the exact internal structure.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:28:28 pm »
setiathome_enhanced 6.09 (cuda23) is the exact description that appears, hopefully the .zip file app_info will appear below.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, first the good news. That host is returning good work, which is validating properly, using the correct application - by that, I mean it will already be using the applications from this installer, even though it's still working through old tasks issued before you used the new installer.

I can't see anything that would explain the Cuda 6.09 - in fact, I was more surprised to see how many tasks were being assigned to the CPU, even for a 12-core i7. It takes a lot of searching to find the Cuda stuff in those 2695 tasks. When you see 'Cuda 6.09', what words do you see, exactly? (cuda), (cuda23), (cuda_fermi) - or something different?

It might be helpful if you could zip up the app_info.xml that the installer has made in your project directory and attach it here. Do it as a zip (or 7z), please, rather than pasting the text, so we can see the exact internal structure.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 12:30:50 pm by Pizzadude »

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:47:42 pm »
setiathome_enhanced 6.09 (cuda23) is the exact description that appears, hopefully the .zip file app_info will appear below.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, that turns out to be a fascinating little experiment you've carried out there.

Some background: there are two ways to run BOINC projects - using the stock applications sent out automatically by a project, or - what we do here - use an app_info.xml file to pick and choose our own applications.

What we've grown to expect over the years is that:
For stock apps, BOINC will try to pick the fastest
For app_info.xml, BOINC will use the first entry it comes across in the file.

But you've proved that we were wrong. The key lines in your app_info are:

<version_num>610</version_num>
            <count>0.3</count>

<version_num>609</version_num>
            <count>0.5</count>

Tasks processed two at a time (count=0.5) will, each individually, complete faster than tasks processed three at a time (count=0.3). The overall throughput for the machine may be better with three at a time, but BOINC is probably too dumb to work that out: I'm guessing that two at a time 'looks faster' to BOINC, and that is the reason it's choosing 609 as the 'best' application.

Something else for you to check, perhaps. If you have any old tasks labelled 610 (cuda_fermi) on the machine, are they running 3 per card (6 at a time for the dual-GPU machine as a whole? And when you get to the 609 (cuda23) tasks, do they run 2 per card (4 at a time overall)?

Once you've finished that, I guess you'll want to get back to normal with whatever <count> value you feel suits you best. If you put that value consistently in all six <app_version> sections, I think you'll find things go back to normal.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:40:07 pm »
I only have 6.09 Cuda work at the moment and they are running at 2 per card.

I have adjusted all Cuda counts to 0.3 and I will let you know what develops in the next few days and thanks again for your assistance.

Well, that turns out to be a fascinating little experiment you've carried out there.

Some background: there are two ways to run BOINC projects - using the stock applications sent out automatically by a project, or - what we do here - use an app_info.xml file to pick and choose our own applications.

What we've grown to expect over the years is that:
For stock apps, BOINC will try to pick the fastest
For app_info.xml, BOINC will use the first entry it comes across in the file.

But you've proved that we were wrong. The key lines in your app_info are:

<version_num>610</version_num>
            <count>0.3</count>

<version_num>609</version_num>
            <count>0.5</count>

Tasks processed two at a time (count=0.5) will, each individually, complete faster than tasks processed three at a time (count=0.3). The overall throughput for the machine may be better with three at a time, but BOINC is probably too dumb to work that out: I'm guessing that two at a time 'looks faster' to BOINC, and that is the reason it's choosing 609 as the 'best' application.

Something else for you to check, perhaps. If you have any old tasks labelled 610 (cuda_fermi) on the machine, are they running 3 per card (6 at a time for the dual-GPU machine as a whole? And when you get to the 609 (cuda23) tasks, do they run 2 per card (4 at a time overall)?

Once you've finished that, I guess you'll want to get back to normal with whatever <count> value you feel suits you best. If you put that value consistently in all six <app_version> sections, I think you'll find things go back to normal.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:02:23 pm »
Wow, did I say few days - I should have said few minutes. I already have eleven 6.10 Cuda's in my download que.  Thankyou again

I only have 6.09 Cuda work at the moment and they are running at 2 per card.

I have adjusted all Cuda counts to 0.3 and I will let you know what develops in the next few days and thanks again for your assistance.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2012, 04:38:46 pm »
Has anybody actually seen an Astropulse workunit since 0.40 went on general release ?

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #10 on: 05 Apr 2012, 04:46:04 pm »
Has anybody actually seen an Astropulse workunit since 0.40 went on general release ?
Yes, somewhere near 200 AP v6 tasks,

Application details for host 5427475

Have you set your setiathome preferences to allow them?

Claggy

Offline Mike

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2012, 05:40:38 pm »

Have also finnished more than 20 already.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2012, 05:44:30 pm »
Yep, all setting are good - I guess I will just have to be patient !!!!

yes, somewhere near 200 AP v6 tasks,

Application details for host 5427475

Have you set your setiathome preferences to allow them?

Claggy

Offline TouchuvGrey

• Knight o' The Round Table
« Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2012, 10:01:12 am »
If i'm out of line for asking or should post in a different area
i request one of the mods to delete or move this post
to the appropriate place .

Is there any indication if or when the licensing issues
will be resolved regarding optimized release installers ?
Because we are NOT alone.

Offline Pizzadude

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #14 on: 07 Nov 2012, 02:03:03 am »
I guess the answer to that question goes along the lines of "How longs a piece of string ?".................

If i'm out of line for asking or should post in a different area
i request one of the mods to delete or move this post
to the appropriate place .

Is there any indication if or when the licensing issues
will be resolved regarding optimized release installers ?

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672