+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Computer HD crashed, reinstalled, what now?  (Read 9431 times)

Offline PatrickV2

• Knight o' The Round Table
Computer HD crashed, reinstalled, what now?
« on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:08:06 pm »
Recently, the harddisk of one of my crunching Windows machine crashed, and it's contents were not saved.

I've now installed another HD, and re-installed Windows XP.

I've also installed BOINC, but when trying to connect to Seti@Home I get a 'Servers are down' message.

Perhaps this is not so bad, because if this worked, I would get a new ID assigned and get new work.

So, is there a way to 're-attach' this computer to the old ID, and re-get the work which was lost when it's original HD crashed? If yes, how do I do this?

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
Re: Computer HD crashed, reinstalled, what now?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:20:11 pm »
Well, normally you'll want a copy of your Boinc Data directory from your failed HD, then reinstall Boinc using that Data folder,

If you can't get that copy, you could try the following:

FAQ: How to revert to an older HostID number?

Claggy

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:24:54 pm »
Well, normally you'll want a copy of your Boinc Data directory from your failed HD, then reinstall Boinc using that Data folder,

Claggy

Unfortunately, the BOINC Data directory is gone forever, down in flames together with the HD.

The link looks promising, but it seems I need a working BOINC/Seti setup, and with the current state of the Seti servers, I cannot even get a new Computer ID. Can I clone an existing BOINC data directory from another machine, remove all the work there, fill in the old ID, and use that to get going sooner?

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:39:00 pm »

Claggy

Unfortunately, the BOINC Data directory is gone forever, down in flames together with the HD.

The link looks promising, but it seems I need a working BOINC/Seti setup, and with the current state of the Seti servers, I cannot even get a new Computer ID. Can I clone an existing BOINC data directory from another machine, remove all the work there, fill in the old ID, and use that to get going sooner?

Regards, Patrick.
That should work, BUT you'll need to get the <rpc_seqno> number right, if it's too low, (not too sure what happens),
eithier all your old work will get abondoned (detached in old Boinc speak), or your host will get a new host ID,

If you get it working, you then have a chance of getting your old work resent, if that feature is still enabled by the time the servers come up,

Claggy

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:47:16 pm »

Claggy

Regards, Patrick.
That should work, BUT you'll need to get the <rpc_seqno> number right, if it's too low, (not too sure what happens),
eithier all your old work will get abondoned (detached in old Boinc speak), or your host will get a new host ID,

If you get it working, you then have a chance of getting your old work resent, if that feature is still enabled by the time the servers come up,

Claggy

That does sound a bit tricky. Is there a way to get the current rpc_seqno value? Or should I just set it to a ridiculously high number? It also seems I only have 1 chance to get this right?

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:21:44 pm »

Claggy

Regards, Patrick.

Claggy

That does sound a bit tricky. Is there a way to get the current rpc_seqno value? Or should I just set it to a ridiculously high number? It also seems I only have 1 chance to get this right?

Regards, Patrick.
looking at my T8100 Laptop's: 'Number of times client has contacted server' figure at Collatz reads 15059 on website, and 15060 in client_state.xml,

I also think you'll need to find the right <host_cpid> number for that host, not sure how you'll find that, stat sites give a different id for this host,

Claggy

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

Claggy

Regards, Patrick.

Claggy

Regards, Patrick.
looking at my T8100 Laptop's: 'Number of times client has contacted server' figure at Collatz reads 15059 on website, and 15060 in client_state.xml,

I also think you'll need to find the right <host_cpid> number for that host, not sure how you'll find that, stat sites give a different id for this host,

Claggy

OK, I think I have an idea on how to gather the needed information. Unfortunately, that also needs a working Setiathome website, since I've set my account to hide my computer, so I cannot use external stats sites to determine it's ID or how many times it has contacted the server. ;)

So, until Set gets their servers back online, I'm stuck with this host... Thanks for the hints, I'll report back in this thread if/when I got it working...

Regards, Patrick.

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:41:13 am »
OK, I think I have an idea on how to gather the needed information. Unfortunately, that also needs a working Setiathome website, since I've set my account to hide my computer, so I cannot use external stats sites to determine it's ID or how many times it has contacted the server. ;)

So, until Set gets their servers back online, I'm stuck with this host... Thanks for the hints, I'll report back in this thread if/when I got it working...

Regards, Patrick.

Final update: Managed attach to Seti@Home, but aborted stuff before it could get an ID. Edited the files (ID was 0 there) and cloned back the computer. Unfortunately, it seems I did not get the work underway 're-sent' to me, but it is now in any case crunching WUs again using the old ID.

All involved  thanks for the help/hints/etc.

Regards, Patrick.

Offline IrishFBall32

• Squire
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2010, 11:38:31 am »
I'm not sure work would ever get resent... but then again I've never tried doing this without migrating my data dir...

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672