+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Poll

Best way to overclock the GPU?

BIOS
1 (5.3%)
Software Application
15 (78.9%)
Both 1 and 2
0 (0%)
Never OC
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: GPU Overclocking  (Read 19449 times)

Offline glennaxl

• Knight o' The Realm
GPU Overclocking
« on: 11 Sep 2010, 12:43:33 am »
For CPU, overclocking is done through the BIOS. How about the GPU? Where would you do it?

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
Re: GPU Overclocking
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2010, 12:26:43 pm »
I was unaware you could over clock a GPU in the BIOS. How ido you get to the BIOS on a GPU?

Steve

Offline cristipurdel

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2010, 03:12:05 pm »
I prefer the safe way to overclock my gpu, or should I say underclock it, through msi afterburner.
It's more easier for me, and don't want to push my luck too much :P

msattler

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2010, 03:28:02 pm »
I use the EVGA Precision Tool on all of my GPUs.
All of my GPUs are EVGA....the tool may work on other brands with nvidia chipsets, but I have not tested that of course.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2010, 03:55:36 pm »
I use EVGA Precision too Mark and yes it does work on other brands with Nvidea chipsets. My little 9500 is an off brand and it works fine.

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2010, 10:30:06 am »
The last time I tried, EVGA Precision didn't work with Fermi. I take it that it does now? I will try using it again, as I would like to unlock my voltages. I may not be able to to it, as every tool I have tried won't let me. The 480's are from a company called Zotac.

Steve

msattler

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2010, 10:53:35 am »
The last time I tried, EVGA Precision didn't work with Fermi. I take it that it does now? I will try using it again, as I would like to unlock my voltages. I may not be able to to it, as every tool I have tried won't let me. The 480's are from a company called Zotac.

Steve
I updated to the latest Precision version before trying it with my 465s.  I had not tried to use my slightly older version, but it's quite possible that it would not have worked before support for the Fermi cards was added.
And I have never tried to do anything with voltage modification.....as my cards are all using the stock cooling, they run hot enough the way it is.  With your water cooling setup you might get away with boosting things a little bit.....dunno.

Offline Vyper

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2010, 11:50:24 am »
I use this little tool.

With that you can make a shortcut in which you can put in your autostart which sets your: gpu clock, shader clock, mem clock, fan speed and core voltage.
It's so small and light and you get some statistics.

Didn't know how i could cope living without it if it disappeared.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-drivers-overclocking-software/720928-nvidia-inspector-tool.html

Kind regards Vyper

Offline hiamps

• Knight o' The Round Table
    • Swans Candles and Supplies
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2010, 12:51:14 pm »
Cool tool thanks.

Offline IrishFBall32

• Squire
« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:24:41 am »
+1 for eVGA Precision S/W overclocking... and SpeedFan just in case something goes wrong (like an AC failure) and I need to stop BOINC or shutdown the computer altogether

Offline corsair

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2010, 01:40:22 pm »
Well, for advanced skill the best would be the BIOS upgrade, but could not be done so much if is there no applications available for doing it, the best could be a mix of them.
Over the sailors' graves never groves grass.

Cheers all / Corsair.

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:12:21 pm »
Thank you msattler and Vyper for the information. I will try both products and see how they do. The question I still have is how do you get to the bios on a GPU (GTX 480)? I didn't know you could do that.

Steve

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2010, 08:34:43 pm »
I tested both tools, and found that they both allow individual control of frequencies, but the Nvidia Inspector did let me adjust voltages. I had been trying to do that for months. I should be able to get 850 MHz or better. Temps are still cool, and voltage is kicked up a bit to see how it remains stable.

Steve

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2010, 09:30:06 pm »
Thank you msattler and Vyper for the information. I will try both products and see how they do. The question I still have is how do you get to the bios on a GPU (GTX 480)? I didn't know you could do that.

Steve

Try searching for nVidia BIOS, seems to turn up much pertinent info.
                                                                                         Joe

Offline glennaxl

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2010, 09:46:20 pm »

Steve
I posted it here. Its very straight forward - you save, modify then write :) .   Let me know if you need further assistance.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672