+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Thread Priority  (Read 8615 times)

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
    • efmer
Thread Priority
« on: 17 May 2009, 08:33:58 am »
I am using MB_6.08_mod_CUDA_V11_VLARKill_refined it looks you modified the thread priority.
I am reading -1 0, 0 of the 3 running threads.  That is THREAD_PRIORITY_BELOW_NORMAL,  THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL.
I already suspected something like that because sometimes the audioplayer just stops for a fraction of a second.
TThrottle Keep your temperatures controlled.
BoincTasks The best way to view BOINC

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Thread Priority
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2009, 11:23:05 am »
It was question?
If it was answer is yes, thread priority changed, process priority changed too.
CUDA thread priority should be higher than priority of other working threads for CPU apps in system.
But it still lower than any normal task thread priority (if app in question (audio player) doesn't use nice too). So any-non BOINC activity going on normal priority should not be affected.
(don't forget that we speak about Windoze, no real respect to priorities from this OS . Look one of Matt's posts in Thech news - how he gave explanation for BOINC deinstallation.... In real-time OS such action would never required!)
« Last Edit: 17 May 2009, 11:26:26 am by Raistmer »

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2009, 01:03:28 pm »
It was question?
If it was answer is yes, thread priority changed, process priority changed too.
CUDA thread priority should be higher than priority of other working threads for CPU apps in system.
But it still lower than any normal task thread priority (if app in question (audio player) doesn't use nice too). So any-non BOINC activity going on normal priority should not be affected.
(don't forget that we speak about Windoze, no real respect to priorities from this OS . Look one of Matt's posts in Thech news - how he gave explanation for BOINC deinstallation.... In real-time OS such action would never required!)
It was maybe a strange question. But I'm looking for the most optimum priority setting.... for one of my computers with a program I'm working with that can change the CUDA working threads priority.
What I've seen is the process running at the lowest priority, probably not doing much, and one thread is running on point below normal, looks like this one does all the real work and 2 threads running at normal priority but as far as I can see they do very little work.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
yes, you got sitation correct.
these 2 other threads are control (as Joe stated on main forum, shared mem communications timer and exception catcher) ones, thread with lowest priority is worker one.
The feature of this build: CUDA worker thread runs onincreased (non-idle) priority with respect to worker thread from CPU app (idle priority).
Moreover, you can tune priority of CUDA worker thread by change process priority via task manager (for example).
It's not possible for CPU apps.
One can increase worker thead priority ONLY by setting process priority to RealTime, other options will not work (cause thread itself has idle priority). This behavior Windows-specific I suppose and described on MSDN.

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2009, 02:52:40 pm »
One can increase worker thead priority ONLY by setting process priority to RealTime, other options will not work (cause thread itself has idle priority). This behavior Windows-specific I suppose and described on MSDN.
You're sure because I tested this with a load application and running the process on normal and setting e.g. 2 worker threads (on a 2 core system) to e.g. real time shuts down most of the system  ;D as expected.

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2009, 06:52:44 am »
You're sure because I tested this with a load application and running the process on normal and setting e.g. 2 worker threads (on a 2 core system) to e.g. real time shuts down most of the system  ;D as expected.
I think you're probably right, but that means the GPU may get better filled if the process priority is raised somewhat. Because it is competition with other BOINC projects running at the same priority  (idle). 

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2009, 01:36:54 pm »
scheduling performed by per thread basis, so thread priority matters. And it' already increased.
You could try to play with priority more though and report results here (better if it will be numbrs).

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672