+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: CPU <-> GPU rebranding  (Read 204962 times)

Questor

Re: CPU <-> GPU rebranding perl script
« Reply #135 on: 04 Jul 2009, 03:20:30 pm »
I have been trying to get v1.8 working on a Vista64 machine - not running as a service because I run CUDA (WinXP64 as a service works OK).

According to the registry my directories are :-

PROG C:\Program Files\BOINC
DATA C:\ProgramData\BOINC

Initiallly I had a problem because the DATA directory was hidden so Reschedule couldn't see it.

Having sorted that out it seemed to be working OK except it shows I have zero CPU or GPU tasks when I press test.

If I rename the client_state.xml I see "Error : C:\Programdata\BOINC\cleint_state.xml  doers not exist" so it is looking in the right place.

Is there a reason why it would read the client_state.xml but not find any tasks?

I have searched for posts about Vista64 but not come across many.

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #136 on: 04 Jul 2009, 03:35:54 pm »
Link to the host please,

Claggy

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #137 on: 04 Jul 2009, 03:40:17 pm »
After running V1.8 my config file shows 2 paths are required.

[Settings]
Position=75
OnlyVLarVHar=1
TrueAngleRate=0
DataPath=D:\BOINC\
BoincBinPath=C:\Program Files\BOINC\

[Automatic]
Automatic=0
Interval=4
CPUPerInterval=50
GPUPerInterval=150
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Questor

« Reply #138 on: 04 Jul 2009, 07:07:01 pm »
I have been trying to get v1.8 working on a Vista64 machine - not running as a service because I run CUDA (WinXP64 as a service works OK).

According to the registry my directories are :-

PROG C:\Program Files\BOINC
DATA C:\ProgramData\BOINC

Initiallly I had a problem because the DATA directory was hidden so Reschedule couldn't see it.

Having sorted that out it seemed to be working OK except it shows I have zero CPU or GPU tasks when I press test.

If I rename the client_state.xml I see "Error : C:\Programdata\BOINC\cleint_state.xml  doers not exist" so it is looking in the right place.

Is there a reason why it would read the client_state.xml but not find any tasks?

I have searched for posts about Vista64 but not come across many.

Host is :-Vista64

Ini settings are

[Settings]
Position=75
OnlyVLarVHar=0
TrueAngleRate=1
DataPath=C:\ProgramData\BOINC
BoincBinPath=C:\Program Files\BOINC

[Automatic]
Automatic=0
Interval=4
CPUPerInterval=50
GPUPerInterval=150

Log says :

---------------------------
Reschedule version 1.8
Time: 05-07-2009 00:03:11
User testing for a reschedule
CPU tasks: 0 (0 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 0 (0 VLAR/VHAR)
No reschedule needed

I haven't tried any previous versions on this machine either.

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #139 on: 04 Jul 2009, 07:57:26 pm »
Log says :
CPU tasks: 0 (0 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 0 (0 VLAR/VHAR)

Weird, AFAIK the tool works on 64 bit and i have not heard problems with it. According to the pending tasks you are running version 603 and 608 which should have been counted fine by the tool. Very curious what this problem could be though.

It almost looks like the tool is thinkng you are running other units then 603 or 608 (which aint the problem). Could you send me your "C:\ProgramData\BOINC\client_state.xml" via personal mail (please zip)

I never gonna thrust VISTA this way ;)

Greetings,
Marius

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #140 on: 05 Jul 2009, 01:03:49 am »
Could it be trying to reschedule an abandoned Boinc installation?
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Samuel

« Reply #141 on: 05 Jul 2009, 06:18:41 am »
Thanks for a nice utility, Marius!

One issue with v1.8 and it could well be isolated to my Vista64 installation. The first time I ran it (only V*AR), I stopped BOINC myself to make a backup and it ran fine, moving 21 V*ARs to CPU. I restarted BOINC and three CPU MBs started along with the CUDA and an Einstein unit without a problem.

Having managed to download a few more tasks, I suspended computation (I prefer doing this even if it's not necessary), hit Run and BOINC was stopped, 37 tasks moved and BOINC restarted. Great, I thought. Upon resuming computation however, two VLARs that had earlier been moved to the CPU (AK_v8_win_x64_SSE41) exited with 'SETI@home error -1 Can't create file -- disk full?' The CUDA task and two Einstein tasks restarted fine.

There's no problem with disk space, BOINC is using ~500MB of its allocated 10GB and the partition has more than 100GB free.

For a while, I've had to start BOINC with elevated privileges, otherwise the manager just can't start boinc.exe. I'll try and reduce the upload queue to download some new tasks. Then run your program as administrator to see if that fixes it.

The host is #4719981 and the errors were tasks #1289669959 and #1289669920
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2009, 06:23:12 am by samuel7 »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #142 on: 05 Jul 2009, 06:31:46 am »
@Marius
BTW, how your tool will handle systems with SETI +SETI beta installations?
Can it be used in such situation? will it rebrand beta tasks?

Offline MarkJ

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #143 on: 05 Jul 2009, 07:55:30 am »
Having managed to download a few more tasks, I suspended computation (I prefer doing this even if it's not necessary), hit Run and BOINC was stopped, 37 tasks moved and BOINC restarted. Great, I thought. Upon resuming computation however, two VLARs that had earlier been moved to the CPU (AK_v8_win_x64_SSE41) exited with 'SETI@home error -1 Can't create file -- disk full?' The CUDA task and two Einstein tasks restarted fine.

There's no problem with disk space, BOINC is using ~500MB of its allocated 10GB and the partition has more than 100GB free.

There was a bug fix in 6.6.31 for output file errors, which might have something to do with this. Your errors indicate you have 6.6.28 running. Current release version of BOINC is 6.6.36.
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2009, 07:59:49 am by MarkJ »

Samuel

« Reply #144 on: 05 Jul 2009, 08:40:50 am »

There was a bug fix in 6.6.31 for output file errors, which might have something to do with this. Your errors indicate you have 6.6.28 running. Current release version of BOINC is 6.6.36.

Umm... Refrained from installing 6.6.36 due to the bad press on Seti fora and the 'do not fix if it works' policy. 6.6.28 had worked perfectly. Will try .36 if other methods fail.

Thanks.

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #145 on: 05 Jul 2009, 08:49:45 am »
The tool only makes some minor changes in the client_state.xml and does nothing with the applications itself. I googled a bit, but this error "disk full" seems to occur only in combination with very old versions of boinc, but since you run a rather recent version i dont expect that to be the case.

The only thing that is kind of suspicious to me is that you suspend boinc while running the tool. In the basic configuration boinc leaves the applications in memory confronting those with unexpected changes in the client_state.xml. Advise is to stop boinc completely and not suspend it. But i don't think this will cause the disk-full errors though....

Greetings,
Marius

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #146 on: 05 Jul 2009, 08:59:21 am »
@Marius
BTW, how your tool will handle systems with SETI +SETI beta installations?
Can it be used in such situation? will it rebrand beta tasks?

1.8 and lower only do hardcoded 603 and 608 versions.

Richard mentioned about the same for future versions a few messages back. So i made changes to (not released) 1.9 to avoid using hardcoded versions. That one will parse all <app_version> filter those on app_name=setiathome_enhanced, split on plan_class=cuda and use the highest version_num as the default application for cpu and/or gpu. Would this approach work for the beta version as well?

I guess this will not work if you run the combination of seti + beta (not sure this combination is possible though)
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2009, 09:01:30 am by Marius »

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #147 on: 05 Jul 2009, 09:07:19 am »
Could it be trying to reschedule an abandoned Boinc installation?

Unlikely unless he pointed the data directory to a location with an empty client_state. But since the host is running fine i dont think this is the case.

I need to install a vista version this week anywhay so i will use that to test (if i ever get some workunits though :o)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #148 on: 05 Jul 2009, 09:22:13 am »
I guess this will not work if you run the combination of seti + beta (not sure this combination is possible though)

Such combination possible. SETI and SETI beta are different projects but both use SETI_enhanced tag for SETI MB. The problem is - their tasks reside in different directories (cause they belong to different projects).
So, from client_state workunit record point of view they are almost the same but fi you will need to parse WU itself you should look in another directory for that.
For now beta uses that same 603 and 608 app versions so its MB tasks almost indistinguishable from SETI main ones

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #149 on: 05 Jul 2009, 09:55:15 am »
Such combination possible. SETI and SETI beta are different projects but both use SETI_enhanced tag for SETI MB. The problem is - their tasks reside in different directories (cause they belong to different projects).
So, from client_state workunit record point of view they are almost the same but fi you will need to parse WU itself you should look in another directory for that.
For now beta uses that same 603 and 608 app versions so its MB tasks almost indistinguishable from SETI main ones
Then it sureley wont work because of three problems
1) The tool would need two running instances (because of different data directory), but because of a mutex it will not allow that (just to make sure people don't have 2 or more running instances).
2) It is currently hardcoded on the seti project ...\setiathome.berkeley.edu path. I need to configure project(s) and parse the projects as well to make this work.
3) It currently picks up al workunits for version 603 and 608 (without checking project, kind of a big bug on my side here). Running seti + beta in the same boinc setup would corrupt your client_state as it does not check projects.

But since seti beta is basicly the same i could make this work, but is it wurth the trouble? (its totally designed for a single project now)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672