+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: CPU <-> GPU rebranding  (Read 204943 times)

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: CPU <-> GPU rebranding perl script
« Reply #75 on: 20 Jun 2009, 09:40:03 am »
A little update with a few simplifications. I extended the logfile, removed a couple of buttons (it wil automaticly stop and start boinc service now), ready units are left out of the display and the presence of a single vlar will always trigger a reschedule.

Seems the berkeley servers are back online and i got a truckload of units from the server yesterday (almost 1200 units in queue now) but i haven't received a single vlar yet :o

Enjoy,
Marius

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #76 on: 20 Jun 2009, 10:30:55 am »
Marius.....copy of the log after running.

---------------------------
Reschedule version 1.6
Time: 20-06-2009 09:26:45
User forced a reschedule
Stopping BOINC service
BOINC service is stopped
CPU tasks: 507 (62 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 445 (3 VLAR/VHAR)
Starting BOINC service
BOINC service started

After reschedule:
CPU tasks: 510 (65 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 442 (0 VLAR/VHAR
)

Looks like it's working now.  Thanks
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #77 on: 20 Jun 2009, 10:42:05 am »
And from a different computer.......

---------------------------
Reschedule version 1.6
Time: 20-06-2009 09:36:41
User forced a reschedule
Stopping BOINC service
BOINC service is stopped
CPU tasks: 471 (99 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 380 (32 VLAR/VHAR)
Starting BOINC service
BOINC service started

After reschedule:
CPU tasks: 503 (131 VLAR/VHAR)
GPU tasks: 348 (0 VLAR/VHAR)

Thanks again!! ;D

savac

« Reply #78 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:57:32 am »
Marius

I've downloaded your reschedule 1.6.  It's a great little tool, thanks for making the exe.  I'm running 64 bit xp and I know you've tested this out for 32 bit, but every time I click the "run" button i get an "Error:Range check error".  If i do not have boinc running the tool works fine.  It appears from the log file that it's having trouble stopping the boinc service in x64.  Is there any way to fix/change this, or do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Copy of the log:

Reschedule version 1.6
Time: 21-06-2009 10:51:48
User forced a reschedule
Stopping BOINC service
Unable to stop BOINC service
Error:Range check error

Calypso

« Reply #79 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:27:00 pm »
Same here...

I get the "Error:Range check error"-message, too. I am running Vista x64. When I stop Boinc manually the tool works fine. Log is identical to savac's log.
There is no difference when I start the tool with "run as administrator".

Calypso

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jun 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
Marius...........Question please.......... ::)

If I start program with the commmand ReSchedule.exe /Autorun 50 and the configuration file contains Position=75, which file ratio will be used?  50 or 75?

Thanks for the program, it works great!

;D

[edit]  Never mind, i figured it out.  If OnlyVLarVHar=1 then those are moved to the CPU and no others are moved.

;D
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2009, 01:56:41 pm by Geek@Play »

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
I'm running 64 bit xp and I know you've tested this out for 32 bit, but every time I click the "run" button i get an "Error:Range check error".  If i do not have boinc running the tool works fine.  It appears from the log file that it's having trouble stopping the boinc service in x64.  Is there any way to fix/change this, or do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for reporting. I have indeed only tested on win32 and i have no experience with win64 (other then a couple of failing windows 7 installations). But i do have a winxp/64 installation under virtualbox so i will have a look later this week as soon as i have the time.

In te mean time that range error bothers me a lot, so i recompiled without rangechecking and included a crashlog mechanism (nothing else has changed in this new version). Could you or Calypso check if this solves youre problems? And if not could you please post the Reschedule.elf file which is created.

For the record, Vista and windows 7 should theoretically block or ignore any commands to start or stop any service, so i do think you need to run under admin rights.

Thanks,
Marius

eschamali

« Reply #82 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:30:33 pm »
Got: Error:Error stopping BOINC service with 1.7 - Windows 7 64bit

Tried with "Run as admin", same result

Attaching elf file

Calypso

« Reply #83 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:32:23 pm »
Hi Marius.

I tested version 1.7
Of course no "Range check error". I get "Error:Error stopping BOINC service" in both cases (running with or without admin rights).

I attached log and elf file. I ran the tool three times. At first without admin rights, then two times with admin rights.

When stopping Boinc manually, the tool works fine.

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:54:03 pm »
Ok, at least the weird range error is gone and i got the general picture about stopping the service. So thanks to you guys i'm 2 steps further.

Storyline: for some reason windows accept/ignores the commandline "net stop boinc" and just returns with code 0 (succes). The next action in the code is a simple check to see if boinc is really down (by locking the stdoutdae.txt file, one of the files boinc alway's opens). Because it cannot get this lock i assume boinc is still running and raise the error 'Unable to stop BOINC service'.

So the trick question is why does windows/64 allow "net stop boinc" but does not stop boinc. Is there any other valid windows 64 command to do this?

eschamali

« Reply #85 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:11:52 pm »
Ok, at least the weird range error is gone and i got the general picture about stopping the service. So thanks to you guys i'm 2 steps further.

Storyline: for some reason windows accept/ignores the commandline "net stop boinc" and just returns with code 0 (succes). The next action in the code is a simple check to see if boinc is really down (by locking the stdoutdae.txt file, one of the files boinc alway's opens). Because it cannot get this lock i assume boinc is still running and raise the error 'Unable to stop BOINC service'.

So the trick question is why does windows/64 allow "net stop boinc" but does not stop boinc. Is there any other valid windows 64 command to do this?

Seems like BOINC is not running in service mode as default any longer. Due to some problems with CUDA. So I get this error code when trying to stop BOINC:

C:\Users\Dag Morten>net stop boinc
The service name is invalid.

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:52:34 pm »
BOINC defaults to 'not service' on Vista and Win 7 because CUDA won't run as a service on those platforms.

Anybody running this tool will be wanting to run CUDA, so you can definitively assume that on Vista and Win 7, BOINC will NOT be running as a service.

Until nVidia works out how to do a CUDA service on Win 7.....

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #87 on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:32:03 am »
Ran Schedule 1.6 with a 50/50 split set in.  Seems it took the 4 work units already in progress on the CPU's and rebranded them to CUDA and when Boinc restarted new work units were started.  Leaving the newly created CUDA in paused mode.  Didn't expect that!  Would have been better to leave work already started alone.

savac

« Reply #88 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:49:18 am »
I see im a bit late to respond, but here is the requested file.  Hope it helps.  1.7 does return a boinc service error "Error:Error stopping BOINC service"  so i'm running into the same thing with winxp 64.

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #89 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:21:12 pm »
BOINC defaults to 'not service' on Vista and Win 7 because CUDA won't run as a service on those platforms.

Anybody running this tool will be wanting to run CUDA, so you can definitively assume that on Vista and Win 7, BOINC will NOT be running as a service.

Until nVidia works out how to do a CUDA service on Win 7.....
Any idea what commands to use to shutdown and start boinc for the win64 platform? For example "boinccmd --quit", but how to restart it?. Or are there other  alternatives?

Greetings,
Marius

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats