+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: V10/11 of modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package for full multi-GPU+CPU use  (Read 201962 times)

Slagathor

I could have sworn I replied to this......heh

Anywase, If I came off as sounding like a prick I am sorry, thats not what I meant to do.
I was just saying, all the WU's so far are taking a bit longer, it's not a problem, I was just curious.

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
Raistmer.........or anyone..........

Is the file MB_6.08_mod_CUDA_V11_VLARKill_refined.exe suitable for use in a standard, non teamed setup?  Oh....on a single GPU also.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 01:25:15 pm by Geek@Play »
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Raistmer.........or anyone..........

Is the file MB_6.08_mod_CUDA_V11_VLARKill_refined.exe suitable for use in a standard, non teamed setup?  Oh....on a single GPU also.

Thanks

All CUDA MB builds can be used in standart setup, this one included.

aradzh

Is there is a possibility to suspend only GPU computation while use computer with moded CUDA ? With stock client I uncheck "Use GPU while computer is in use" in preferences of client but with moded aplications it is not work :( and only possiblity seems to uncheck "While computer is in use" with small idle, say 0.10 ;)
Thanks in advance,
Andrey

Eithanius

Were there any performance enhancements with this mod compared to stock Cuda client other than to consolidate the WUs to both CPUs and GPUs...? It seems my GPU didn't get any performance boost at all.

Not that I'm underestimating Raistmer's work, I do appreciate it.

Anyhow, my daily quota has been reduced from 1200 to 500... Any remedy to this..?

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
I'm successfully processing only AP and CUDA WU on a pair of Q6600 with CUDA cards using the optimized apps. Over the past few weeks my RAC has doubled to about 16,000 mostly due to these two PCs. All seems to be working fine except:

The stderr files shows CUDA's are taking on the order 100 seconds. But the calendar time seems to be a few hours. The CUDA cards run about as hot as usually stated on this site. I'm hoping an expert can spot why the CUDA's seem to take up excessive calendar time. Appreciate any help!

Here is the stderr for a typical work unit:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=1208947940

and for the same WU this is the BOINC Message showing almost 2 hours to complete:
2009-04-27 05:00:25   SETI@home   Starting task 01fe09aa.6562.18886.6.8.69_0 using setiathome_enhanced version 608
2009-04-27 06:56:12   SETI@home   Computation for task 01fe09aa.6562.18886.6.8.69_0 finished

At these times the PC was idle and, in any case, I permit CUDA computation while the PC is in use.

The SAH portion of app_info is:
<app>
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>AK_v8_win_SSSE3x.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>setiathome_6.08_windows_intelx86__cuda.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>cudart.dll</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>cufft.dll</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>libfftw3f-3-1-1a_upx.dll</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>

<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>603</version_num>
<platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
<flops>5160439018.79946125</flops>
<file_ref>
<file_name>AK_v8_win_SSSE3x.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app_version>

<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>608</version_num>
<platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
<avg_ncpus>0.127970</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>0.127970</max_ncpus>
<flops>1000000000</flops>
<plan_class>cuda</plan_class>
<file_ref>
<file_name>setiathome_6.08_windows_intelx86__cuda.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>cudart.dll</file_name>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>cufft.dll</file_name>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>libfftw3f-3-1-1a_upx.dll</file_name>
</file_ref>
<coproc>
<type>CUDA</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>
</app_version>
</app_info>

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
I'm successfully processing only AP and CUDA WU on a pair of Q6600 with CUDA cards using the optimized apps. Over the past few weeks my RAC has doubled to about 16,000 mostly due to these two PCs. All seems to be working fine except:

The stderr files shows CUDA's are taking on the order 100 seconds. But the calendar time seems to be a few hours. The CUDA cards run about as hot as usually stated on this site. I'm hoping an expert can spot why the CUDA's seem to take up excessive calendar time. Appreciate any help!

and for the same WU this is the BOINC Message showing almost 2 hours to complete:
2009-04-27 05:00:25   SETI@home   Starting task 01fe09aa.6562.18886.6.8.69_0 using setiathome_enhanced version 608
2009-04-27 06:56:12   SETI@home   Computation for task 01fe09aa.6562.18886.6.8.69_0 finished

At these times the PC was idle and, in any case, I permit CUDA computation while the PC is in use.

The line in stderr says "CPU time 139.5781"

That's how long the Q6600 spent on them. Your 8500 GT (unfortunately, one of the slowest CUDA cards available) may indeed have taken almost two hours to complete the task. But during that time, all but a minute fraction of the power of one core of the Q6600 was available for AP, browsing the web, or whatever. So the CUDA contribution, comparatively small as it is, is all a net gain to your productivity.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Is there is a possibility to suspend only GPU computation while use computer with moded CUDA ? With stock client I uncheck "Use GPU while computer is in use" in preferences of client but with moded aplications it is not work :( and only possiblity seems to uncheck "While computer is in use" with small idle, say 0.10 ;)
Thanks in advance,
Try to switch to BOINC 6.6.20 + corresponding app_info. Now it's recommended method of using modded SETI CUDA MB. "team" mod considered as deprecated :)

Andrey
По русски читать можешь?

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Were there any performance enhancements with this mod compared to stock Cuda client other than to consolidate the WUs to both CPUs and GPUs...? It seems my GPU didn't get any performance boost at all.

Not that I'm underestimating Raistmer's work, I do appreciate it.

Anyhow, my daily quota has been reduced from 1200 to 500... Any remedy to this..?
Yes, current CUDA MB build has advantages in speed versus stock one. Not so big as our other opt apps have though.
Dayly quota can be reduced due pack of VLARs rejected by CUDA MB for example. IF this is a reason you could try to use rebranding script to move VLAR tasks from GPU to CPU queue.

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm

The line in stderr says "CPU time 139.5781"

That's how long the Q6600 spent on them. Your 8500 GT (unfortunately, one of the slowest CUDA cards available) may indeed have taken almost two hours to complete the task. But during that time, all but a minute fraction of the power of one core of the Q6600 was available for AP, browsing the web, or whatever. So the CUDA contribution, comparatively small as it is, is all a net gain to your productivity.

Re CUDA processing time on 8500: Understood. Its GFLOPS rating is <10, my 9600GTX+ is 100. Plus the 8500 is the very first - oldest - on the NVIDIA CUDA list. It was my impression that time is in seconds, so the card processed for 139 seconds over a 2 hour period. Correct?
Thanks - Art

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

Re CUDA processing time on 8500: Understood. Its GFLOPS rating is <10, my 9600GTX+ is 100. Plus the 8500 is the very first - oldest - on the NVIDIA CUDA list. It was my impression that time is in seconds, so the card processed for 139 seconds over a 2 hour period. Correct?
Thanks - Art

No. The host CPU (one core of the Q6600) ran for 139 seconds - pre-processing the data, managing transfers to and from main memory, storing checkpoint files to disk - general housekeeping.

The GPU (CUDA) card will have been running pretty much flat out for the full two hours, with only the briefest of pauses while new data was transferred to/from disk or main memory.

aradzh

Thanks in advance,
Try to switch to BOINC 6.6.20 + corresponding app_info. Now it's recommended method of using modded SETI CUDA MB. "team" mod considered as deprecated :)

Andrey
По русски читать можешь?

Thanks ! As I finally understand, one have to read http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=52589 then find most optimized programs(for AP and GPU), change app_info.xml and that`s all !
Читать могу ;) Еще раз спасибо

elec999

I still feel stupid. I have 6 GPUS and really bad results.
What happened to the auto installer.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 01:11:28 am by elec999 »

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
Andrey

What version of Boinc are you using?

Thanks in advance,
Andrey

This may be a Bug in the Boinc Core. As I have noticed it on the one machine that I has set to suspend when in use.

Regards

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
elec999

You Sig shows 6 machines with various GPU's

Quad Core E5410 2.33mhz 12mb cache x 2 Seti SSSE4.1 Optimized
E6720 Palit 9800 Super +1GB V10
Q6600 Asus 8800 GTS Stock
Q6600 EVGA GTX260 Core 216 Asus 8800TOP (G92) V10
IBM P4 3GHZ (HT) Seti Optimized
Boinc 6.4.5

Could you verify that all machines have the same version of Boinc and identify which machines work or do not work.

I still feel stupid. I have 6 GPUS and really bad results.
What happened to the auto installer.
Thanks

Regards

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0