+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod  (Read 140796 times)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod
« Reply #195 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:29:19 pm »
hm... don't know about screen, maybe... It resemble driver restart under Vista, but AFAIK WinXP can't restart video-driver.
[offtopic]
It seems Windows slowly come to some features that more advanced OSes like QNX had few decades already. First was RDP (although not sure that RDP could be treated like native multi-node even now). Now driver restarts...
[/offtopic]

And about CUDA on x64 - I have CUDA MB hang time to time on my Win2003 x64 host. Suspending task helps (for now). I had no hung tasks on Vista x86.

Offline Devaster

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • I like Duke !!!
« Reply #196 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:56:41 pm »
on x64 WS2k8 no hangs too ...

cyclejon

« Reply #197 on: 13 Feb 2009, 04:41:55 pm »
I'm not having any troubles with vista x64, drivers are 181.21

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #198 on: 13 Feb 2009, 04:50:50 pm »
both Win2008 and Vista are next Windows generation while Win2003 and XP belongs to the same generation...

Stelminator

« Reply #199 on: 14 Feb 2009, 01:21:06 pm »
just wanted to mention, Windows 7 is less than useful for this trick.

I ran this on Windows 7 64bit.  Definitely stupid.  The drivers are old, 179.23 (GPUZ ftw).  From other threads, I assume 180 or something higher is required for this to function properly.  (I figured that out after I realized something was wrong).

That said, I believe the teamwork algorithm was working superbly.  Other than the fact that every CUDA WU errored out almost immediately, there were exactly the right number of tasks for my i7 system; 9 total, with 8 maxing the CPU, and one more only stealing part of 1 cpu long enough to do setup or teardown.  No idea how much it would use while functioning, because they all died quickly.  Also, 2 of the cpu tasks were AP's.

Here's hoping BOINC will fix the scheduling sooner rather than later, or Nvidia will release new drivers for me.  Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going back to Vista.  Win7 is "Vista, done right", imo.

if/when there are drivers that will let this work, is there any chance of a SSE4.1 build?  On that note, I haven't been able to find what the speed difference for SSE4.1 vs SSSE3, SSE3, and so forth are, nor anything regarding if SSE4.2 provides anything useful to the project.  If/when I'm able, I'll certainly experiment to see if 8x SSSE3 on i7 + 1x 9400 GT is faster than just 8x SSE4.1.

Great job and thank you!

Now running the current 8a set from the first post in this thread.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4789529

Just wanted to follow up:

I installed the latest drivers for Vista on my Win7 system, they work great.  i7 is now crunching along on 8 virtual cores + 1 GPU.  I haven't benchmarked anything, but my anecdotal report is that this SSSE3 build completes MB WUs faster than the 4.1 build on the main page.  In addition, I now have the GPU running, which is nearly twice as slow as one CPU thread, but surely makes up for any loss of speed on the CPU (though I still think it is a gain and not a loss).

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
    • efmer
« Reply #200 on: 14 Feb 2009, 01:30:46 pm »
Had a crash on the cuda program  x86 last night. Switched back to the V6 packages. One of the main problems with V8 and BOINC 6.45 is it requests less work by the day. It has a buffer of  < 4 day with a setting of 10. (this was before there was no work) All task run way below 1 hour but the rest time counter always stay above 1 hour and mostly on 1:20 1:30. Seen a task complete at 20 Minutes and the rest time went ... up instead of down as it normally does.
TThrottle Keep your temperatures controlled.
BoincTasks The best way to view BOINC

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #201 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:02:22 pm »
Had a crash on the cuda program  x86 last night. Switched back to the V6 packages. One of the main problems with V8 and BOINC 6.45 is it requests less work by the day. It has a buffer of  < 4 day with a setting of 10. (this was before there was no work) All task run way below 1 hour but the rest time counter always stay above 1 hour and mostly on 1:20 1:30. Seen a task complete at 20 Minutes and the rest time went ... up instead of down as it normally does.
Switching back to V6 is meaningless. They deprecated already. V8 CUDA app has all improvements from V6 + some more.
What crash you had to decide such downgrade ?

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #202 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:41:19 am »
Switching back to V6 is meaningless. They deprecated already. V8 CUDA app has all improvements from V6 + some more.
What crash you had to decide such downgrade ? That is not the only reason, but the CUDA task just stopped.
Why? because I run some other projects as well and e.g. Wold Community Grid is greedy and downloads a lot of work and goes into High p mode. That stops the Cuda task altogether and worse SETI does not download any work, so the buffer gets very low. When you have a new AP ready I switch to that version. The completion time is now about 15 Minutes and on the V8 it goes to 1:30  and more even as the work is done much faster.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #203 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:20:33 am »
Try V7, but not V6.

Offline efmer (fred)

• Alpha Tester
    • efmer
« Reply #204 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:47:56 am »
Try V7, but not V6.

Done, but the cuda exe is the same MB_6.08a_mod_VLAR_fix_CUDA.exe. And the AP is no longer working anyway.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #205 on: 15 Feb 2009, 06:17:35 am »
Try V7, but not V6.

Done, but the cuda exe is the same MB_6.08a_mod_VLAR_fix_CUDA.exe. And the AP is no longer working anyway.

AP upgrade will be in V9, still waiting online validations.

toomnymods

« Reply #206 on: 15 Feb 2009, 10:37:06 pm »
i downloaded and installed raistmer's newest sse3 code and installed it into the seti@berkley folder and also installed boinc's newest 6.4.5 software and still only 4 wu's are going at once :/ gpu isnt doing anything..

need instructions on what to do in simplest terms possible i am by no means some computer genius and cant understand 95% the stuff you guys are talking about..
by the way i have a intel q6600 on windows xp with sp3

edit.... i noticed 1 work unit is being completed like every 3.5 minutes this must be the one the gpu is doing i have a EVGA gtx260 doing this one and i have 1 idle cpu core but the other 3 cpu cores are crunching like normal 50-58 mins a wu
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2009, 10:51:03 pm by toomnymods »

Yellow_Horror

« Reply #207 on: 16 Feb 2009, 03:16:58 am »
i downloaded and installed raistmer's newest sse3 code and installed it into the seti@berkley folder and also installed boinc's newest 6.4.5 software and still only 4 wu's are going at once :/ gpu isnt doing anything..

need instructions on what to do in simplest terms possible i am by no means some computer genius and cant understand 95% the stuff you guys are talking about..
by the way i have a intel q6600 on windows xp with sp3

You have to place a file named "cc_config.xml" with the following content into your "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC\" directory to allow 5 tasks altogether:

[---cut here---]
<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>5</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>
[---cut here---]

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

toomnymods