Forum > Windows

Visual Studio 2005 compatibility issues

<< < (2/5) > >>

Urs Echternacht:
I've put up a little rtf-file with all the changes that are necassary to use the free Express Version of VS2005. Also included are changes to get rid of all the warnings flooding your screens while building seti_boinc. My code base was the actual CVS source from v5.17 (14.08.2006). If you want, feel free to copy and paste the lines.

Urs

[attachment deleted by admin]

Simon:
Thanks Urs :)

Will take a look at your changes and compare to what I have right now.

Regards,
Simon.

<edit>You were a lot more thorough than I was, and removed all warnings (I only fixed the errors). Thanks for taking the time to bring them into an easily perusable document :)</edit>

Urs Echternacht:
I hope that will speed up your compile and build process a little bit. In your How-To document you wrote something about 10-15 minutes.

Urs

Simon:
As BenHer noted in a different post, whole program optimization is what takes most of the actual compile time. WPO and IPO, in fact.

--- Quote from: ---/Qipo - Try to do multi-source-file optimizations.
   Inline small functions from one source file at call points in functions from other files
   Use registers to pass paramenters from some functions to others (rather than stack)
   many other items
   TAKES LONG TIME!! - Uses up to 1.4Gig of RAM + swap file
--- End quote ---

The build itself is done within a minute and a half on my 1.6 GHz clocked P4 laptop. The linking/WPO process takes forever :) My main build host (that I have not yet upgraded to VS 2005) takes 8-11 minutes clocked @ 3.85 GHz with 1 GB Ram to do a build with WPO - MMX takes the shortest time, then SSE, SSE2, SSE3 each take a slight bit longer.

Thanks for the hint with the Manifest file, by the way. My 5.15 codebase imported fine on VS 2005 and made its own manifest file without complaining. The 5.17 CVS sources I just built did not, and without that hint it would probably have taken way more time to convince VS to just get on with it.

Regards,
Simon.

Simon:
Urs,

I've taken the liberty of forwarding your RTF file to Eric Korpela along with another proposed source fix. Lets hope future versions may already incorporate some of our changes and make everyone's life just that little bit easier ;)

Regards,
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version