Forum > Windows

Visual Studio 2005 compatibility issues

(1/5) > >>

Simon:
Hi everyone,

as all of you who tried to use VS 2005 to compile your own apps were bound to notice, it doesn't work so well with the current code base.

However, there are only a few minor fixes required to change that, as it turns out. I will update the available source package with a pre-edited version that should work for both VS 2003 and VS 2005 (after import, that is).

The reason that you will still have to import the project is that otherwise, VS 2003 will not be able to use the project any more. Alternatively, I may offer two versions, one for VS 2003, one for 2005. Still deciding, it's a matter of web space, really.

Anyway, new version(s) should be up today or tomorrow. This should also pave the way for 64-bit app development - so far, using 2003, I always had linker errors when I tried to make real 64-bit apps. Intel and Microsoft both say in their docs that VS 2005 works better in that regard (and that ICC/IPP will be developped for VS 2005 in the near future only).

Regards,
Simon.

BenHer:

--- Quote ---and that ICC/IPP will be developped for VS 2005 in the near future only)
--- End quote ---

Confused about this phrase Simon...does it mean the VS 2005  version  you will be posting won't use CPP to compile?

Simon:
Sorry for the confusion :)

What I meant is this - Intel will not further develop VS 2003 compatibility for ICC and IPP. Future versions will require VS 2005, to my knowledge (though right now, it still works, and they will continue to offer all versions on their FTP server).

HTH,
Simon.

Simon:
I've been testing the binary compiled with VS 2005 vs. 2003, and the first things to note are these:

Amazingly, the size of the .exe is quite a bit larger (8.2 MB vs. 6.9), even though we're using the same compiler and libraries. No idea whether the VS 2005 compiler tries to inline/unroll things more aggressively, or why else the file is larger, but it works and produces valid results.

The VS 2005 app was marginally quicker in my test runs, so maybe it does optimize more aggressively.

Regards,
Simon.

Vyper:
This is REALLY good news. Keep up the good work.

For now i have a AMD X2 system and as soon as there is a 64bit version out there or a way to get a compile to get through in VS2005 im going to dig after my Win XP Pro 64 bit trial version and try to compile a 64bit version or if we get a client to test it on..

Kind Regards Vyper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version