+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package for full GPU utilization  (Read 154578 times)

Leopoldo

Re: Modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package for full GPU utilization
« Reply #195 on: 15 Jan 2009, 05:32:05 am »
give my script a chance ;)
still have freezing tasks at different runtimes ... without the script i would have same problems lik you ^^
Raistmer's v5b + script = well crunching on a 9600GT

Agreed. Thanks both!

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #196 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:19:02 am »
Cheers both.   I will add script first, then try underclock, then overclock.  My temps are higher because of climate here though test stable with ATI tool and RthDrible.  I am most prone to think low speed is the culprit (Nvidia choosing too big a granularity for the parallelistion), as in the past I have my 8600GT's run @100C no problems under stress (68 degrees fully loaded now).

[If underclock fixes it, then I blame temps, If Overclock Fixes it then I blame Nvidia's choice of target cards]

I'm quite convinced it's a programming bug in the SETI application.

Have a look at my bug report from last night.

Normally, my 9800GT processes a mid-range AR in 22-23 minutes, regular as clockwork. It's still running, still doing that this morning. This is with the Berkeley Beta v6.07, on official download - the card is rated as fast enough by NVidia to be entrusted with the CUDA app.

At VLAR - different story. Took 20 minutes to reach 4%, an hour to reach 35%. Then just idled (endless loop?) for three hours, didn't even checkpoint. I suspended the task, and re-started the BOINC daemon to get it to recognise the suspension - normal work restarted. No reboot, no driver crash.

Everything is in that upload - datapak, checkpoint, wisdom, client_state. See if you can find the bug before Eric K does.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #197 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:34:41 am »
Nah, steering away from looking at cuda code for the time being, partly because I want to skip it and go straight to OpenCL when vendor SDKs are available.  It has plenty of heads looking at it and seems to be getting better gradually.  I am sure there are multiple issues at play, and one of them definitely seems to be speed. cranking up the 9600GSO   (along with the fan), and checking for artefacts in rthdribl and ati tool has me up to 68GFlops estimated using that formula, and things indeed seem a little better than stock 48 GFlops estimate.  Will see what I can get stably without producing too much heat or generating artefacts, and comment on what I find.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #198 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:30:57 am »
Found card stability test that works for me, Will run 1 hour ati tool artefact scan.

card is 9600GSO,
Have settled for 56Gflop conservative OC ( using estimate formula of ClockRate X MultiProcessors X 2857 )
Clocks Obtained with ATi-Tool 'Find Max Mem' and 'Find max Core' separately, after reducing safety limits to keep in range.  No atrefacts yet, card nice and warm, 500frames per second in RthDrible Large, no pausing. (Then installed in RivaTuner afterward)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #199 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:17:01 am »
Ok, here modded build with VLAR bug-fix incorporated.
It should do correctly all AR ranges (please,  post erros if they will be).
But be prepared to VLRT (very long run time) for VLAR tasks.
I'm not sure that it's worth to do VLAR on GPU at all with current algorithm. So, you always can reverse to V5b and leave VLARs to hosts with CPU-based opt apps.
But before doing this compare wall clock times for your own hosts (!) I use pretty low-end GPU, your experience can (and will ;) ) be different.

ADDON: I didn't test this build much so if you experience some new errors - just revert back to V5b or switch to 6.07 and forthcoming 6.08 on beta site.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 10:38:55 am by Raistmer »

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #200 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:43:02 am »
Raistmer, I pulled the MB_400 out. is that ok or should I leave it in with this new build?

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #201 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:49:41 am »
Raistmer, I pulled the MB_400 out. is that ok or should I leave it in with this new build?
You should just install V6 package as usual.
It it will not work for you you can just reinstall V5b as usual. No additional moves needed.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #202 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:52:44 am »
Ok, just wondered because BOINC manager bitched when it couldn't find it. Everything seems to be running ok though.

Have a good trip. See you when you get back.

Offline Slawek

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #203 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:56:35 am »
HI

http://c.wrzuta.pl/wi161/831bfd2400026520496f5b98/BOINC?type=i&key=j5W3rTpanB&ft=f   

and first WU done in new build http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=1123248779

now i delete old MB files ( CUDA )....
i waiting for next CUDA WU download meybe stderr now be correct....:/

Maik

« Reply #204 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:19:05 am »
and first WU done in new build http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=1123248779
That is still no result from a 'Raistmer-built'  ::)

Offline Slawek

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #205 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:24:08 am »
Im Stupid ..... i have 2 dir in Documents and settings... and all time computing on first Raistmer's_opt_package and change old BOINC dir...... :o

and all time no errors .. only 1 ... :)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #206 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:45:55 am »
Im Stupid ..... i have 2 dir in Documents and settings... and all time computing on first Raistmer's_opt_package and change old BOINC dir...... :o

and all time no errors .. only 1 ... :)
LoL. So, you helped yourself, as it was supposed :)

Maik

« Reply #207 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:10:41 pm »
since i have running MB_rev400mod_VLARkill_idle_CUDA.exe ... no stucking wu's / no BSOD's / no crash's .... and a full cache ^^
hmm ...dont want to switch to v6. (never change a running system, you know?  :-\)
now i have to wait around 24h that my chache is crunched to install v6 to test my underpowered 9600GT  ;D

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0