+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Optimized App for Nehalem?  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Win95GUI

• Squire
Optimized App for Nehalem?
« on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:30:48 am »
Good day-just wondering if there will be an optimized app for the new Intel i7 (Nehalem-SSE4.2) coming out any time soon.
The new SSE4.2 instructions should help a great deal for those users that have been able to secure one of the new chips.
They are out in the wild now for the general public.

Thanks in advance.
Todd

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Optimized App for Nehalem?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2008, 07:16:34 am »
Hi there,
  Did spend some time looking at the things that would be involved with regard to making a refined i7 targeted version.  The cache/memory/bus structure is the biggest change, for sure, which appears to be architecturally more oriented toward tight multithreaded applications, as opposed to the multiple instance static application we have now.  Development was gradually moving towards that direction anyhow, but some of the tools and techniques to achieve this are really not entirely mature yet, so it will take some time.  At this stage I don't believe a simple recompile with the SSE4.2 instructions enabled would be of real benefit while the system architecture changes aren't fully understood, but you never know :) .  more advanced hand optimisations come later when the chips are more widespread (like I have one, for example ;D), and the nuances of what is a very different platform are better understood, and yield to experimentation.

So, in short, probably a while.  Until then, SSE4.1 & SSSE3x builds should perform very well, and I suspect the memory access patterns in the SSE4.1 build might have a slight advantage with the new architecture, though the full details aren't clear in literature yet.

Jason

Offline Win95GUI

• Squire
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2008, 03:02:19 pm »
Good day!
Thanks for the information and the details that would go into this development.
I can validate that the i7 does achieve a significant boost in performance with the SSE4.1 optimizations installed-on order of 68%.  That is very significant.  On the Skulltrail platform it is about 50%
And clock for clock the Nehalem vs. Skulltraill is evenly matched-with a significant power savings, complexity and price.

My Skulltraill with Dual E5440's (3.25ghz) processes packets slower than a Single i7 - 965 @ 3.2Ghz with compairable Integer and Floating Point marks.  Both systems run 8 processes at the same time.  Some of this can be attributed to DDR3 vs FB-Dimm too

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2008, 03:04:13 pm »
Absolutely looks very good.  Looks like I better start saving up then  ;D

Offline Win95GUI

• Squire
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2008, 07:03:55 pm »
Considering that the cost of the 2.66ghz CPU is only $319 currently at NewEgg the performance of the new chip is amazing.  The best price vs. perfomance ever!  Some might negate this fact by saying that not all games are going to see a performance gain-but people that are looking for the raw processing power to perform multi-threaded calculations will find no equal.  Gaming is too often used to display performance.  There are few that even take advantage of more than two cores-not to mention 8 threads.  To me that doesn't create a level measure of performance.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672