+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Source Code for AK_v8_win_SSSE3X.exe Apps  (Read 8648 times)

CElliott

Source Code for AK_v8_win_SSSE3X.exe Apps
« on: 05 May 2008, 08:09:22 am »
On my Q6700 machine I am getting about a 38% speed increase with the new optimized apps, from about 86 minutess per WU to about 53 minutes.  "Thanks" seems underwhelming for what is almost a miracle.  Is there any way we could see how this huge improvement was achieved, such as source code, an explanation of how the gains were made, etc.?

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Source Code for AK_v8_win_SSSE3X.exe Apps
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2008, 08:32:24 am »
Hi there,
       The sources (modified from Alex's version 8 source) are available in the downloads section, under seti@Home modified source section.  I appreciate that doesn't document the process of how the port was accomplished, but can say:
           - Many small changes to fundamental data types were required to convert to Windows from Mac Code
           - A few key library functions had to be researched for suitable alternatives and changed to different vendor libraries
           - A small bug, that caused no problems on Macs, but Crashed Windows version was found and fixed.
          - Extensive exploration if Alex's intended functionality had to be explored, and tried several combinations of settings and optimisation techniques, and incorporated ones learnt form Lunatics development also.
          - A new dedicated profile guided optimisation regime was developed and refined
          -Windows builds were extensively tested, compared, refined and selectively promoted to release.

I hope that gives some idea,  the real process, of course, spans quite a while and with several main contributors.

Jason

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2008, 04:34:39 pm »
so is it just different math or change how cache is used?

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2008, 05:05:00 pm »
Both those things, data alignment related processing optimisations, and the interaction of all these things on a microarchitectural level.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672