+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Performance hog found when using Crunch3r's compiled Boinc client  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Vyper

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
Hi

I just wanted to share that i run s@h in a 24/7 basis and doesn't shut down while playing a well known game called World Of Warcraft.
If i don't do anything once in a while i experience 1 secs of fps lag when using s@h in run mode but not in suspend mode..
Fine you all think and usually thinks that thats the way it is if u run games while running s@h optimised clients and so but i found out this by a coincidence..

If i take the boinc.exe app and set the priority to lower than normal.. The lag dissapears and all works fine.. Boinc works WoW works without lag but resumes as soon as i put the priority on boinc.exe to Normal again..

Just for the record all ppl, would like to see a option to set priority to lower than normal in the future if possible.

Kind Regards Vyper

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Performance hog found when using Crunch3r's compiled Boinc client
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2008, 04:26:21 pm »
...World Of Warcraft.
If i don't do anything once in a while i experience 1 secs of fps lag when using s@h in run mode but not in suspend mode..
If i take the boinc.exe app and set the priority to lower than normal.. The lag dissapears and all works fine.. Boinc works WoW works without lag but resumes as soon as i put the priority on boinc.exe to Normal again..

Just for the record all ppl, would like to see a option to set priority to lower than normal in the future if possible.

Kind Regards Vyper

Crunch3r hasn't visited here since January, you might have better luck posting in his message board.
                                                   Joe

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:46:46 pm »
A similar phenomenon was occurring to Batman/JokerPCoc over on Number Crunching at one stage even without running ANY games.  Eventually, In that case, we traced it to the XP default "Optimize Hard Disks When Idle" Background operation, which can be disabled using the "TweakUI PowerToy for XP" from Microsoft If you defragment externally every so often.  It seems Boinc fairly constantly modifies files , so any active antivirus not set to exclude that folder, and background HD optimisation like the one mentioned would probably indeed kick in every approximately checkpoint interval.

Jason
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 10:56:33 pm by j_groothu »

Offline Vyper

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:52:37 am »
Ah ok cool..

I'm running Vista X64 currently with all boinc and s@h apps in 64 bit too.
Don't know it has something to do when the processor mode switches from 64 to 32 bit or so which this is so noticeable..

But alas i just wanted to share the info..

Wonder why Crunch3r hasn't been around for a while?

Kind Reg. Vyper

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559