+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: CPU temperature  (Read 12341 times)

Offline michael37

• Knight o' The Round Table
CPU temperature
« on: 15 Sep 2007, 01:11:07 pm »
There are always on and off threads regarding CPU temperature and computer overheating due to BOINC.

Here is a curious fact.  Seti@Home is the hottest.  My notebook CPUs run up to 75C during Seti runs.  The lowest I've seen at 100% CPU utilization on both CPUs was another project which peaked at 60C.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: CPU temperature
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2007, 03:36:54 pm »
There are always on and off threads regarding CPU temperature and computer overheating due to BOINC.

Here is a curious fact.  Seti@Home is the hottest.  My notebook CPUs run up to 75C during Seti runs.  The lowest I've seen at 100% CPU utilization on both CPUs was another project which peaked at 60C.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to code a sequence which has no pipeline stalls, keeps all execution units fully occupied, uses cache fully, and uses main memory transfers at peak. In a sense that's the ultimate goal of optimization; nothing wasted. I don't think we're anywhere near that yet, but I take higher CPU temperatures as a good sign in general. OTOH, a bad algorithm can use a lot of CPU without being optimal, so I don't think temperature is a sufficient indicator of effective optimization.
                                                     Joe

Gecko_R7

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:59:56 pm »

Here is a curious fact.═ Seti@Home is the hottest.═ My notebook CPUs run up to 75C during Seti runs.═ The lowest I've seen at 100% CPU utilization on both CPUs was another project which peaked at 60C.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to code a sequence which has no pipeline stalls, keeps all execution units fully occupied, uses cache fully, and uses main memory transfers at peak. In a sense that's the ultimate goal of optimization; nothing wasted. I don't think we're anywhere near that yet, but I take higher CPU temperatures as a good sign in general. OTOH, a bad algorithm can use a lot of CPU without being optimal, so I don't think temperature is a sufficient indicator of effective optimization.
 Joe

Along your comment Joe, I remember Francois commenting once (& Alex long before him  ;) ), about the importance of minimizing L1 thrashing.  Francois rather threw that in everyone's face a year ago that the then-current code thrashed heavily and that would be a primary area he'd focus/clean-up.
To your point, this would contribute to higher CPU temps, right?.... but would certainly not be optimized performance.

How much validity do you think there is to his L1 thrashing comment today?
Is it really that much of an issue/area of opportunity?
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2007, 05:04:12 pm by Gecko_R7 »

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2007, 06:44:34 pm »
OTOH, a bad algorithm can use a lot of CPU without being optimal, so I don't think temperature is a sufficient indicator of effective optimization.
 Joe

Along your comment Joe, I remember Francois commenting once (& Alex long before him  ;) ), about the importance of minimizing L1 thrashing.  Francois rather threw that in everyone's face a year ago that the then-current code thrashed heavily and that would be a primary area he'd focus/clean-up.
To your point, this would contribute to higher CPU temps, right?.... but would certainly not be optimized performance.

How much validity do you think there is to his L1 thrashing comment today?
Is it really that much of an issue/area of opportunity?

I'm sure it could be an important area to focus on, and I wish some programmer with the right skills were contributing here. I focus on the logic of the application algorithms, but know little about the details of the hardware. I probably should study Alex's recent code and see if he's found some improvements along those lines, though I wouldn't necessarily understand the fine details well enough to recognize what's particularly L1 directed. In addition, both Francois and Alex are concentrating on recent CPUs with less variation of cache size and capabilities to consider. Something good for the L1 in Core 2 might be terrible on an older system.
                                                     Joe

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559