+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: XEON apps?  (Read 7365 times)

edwartr

XEON apps?
« on: 13 Aug 2007, 09:03:38 pm »
I have read a few of the threads here trying to find out which app I should use for my Xeon machines. These are not necessarily the HT Xeons - in fact I know one is a fairly old Xeon system but since I have two systems with dual procs, I would love to get the most crunching power out of them.

According to CPU-Z:

System One:

2x Intel Xeon Prestonia core Brand ID 11 2.4 GHz Family F Model 2 Stepping 7 - socket 604 mPGA

Each processor has ONE Core and ONE thread

it will run MMX, SSE, SSE2

System Two:

2x Intel Xeon Prestonia core Brand ID 11 2.0 GHz Family F Model 2 Stepping 4 - socket 604 mPGA

Each processor has ONE core and TWO threads

It will run MMX, SSE, SSE2

Also, on older AMD procs (such as plain Athlon, etc.) - if they only support MMX and SSE, is it better to run the MMX or the SSE? And for the older Intel processors that do the same - run the SSE or the MMX?

I apologize for all the questions; but I have been crunching SETI for too long and have a bunch of systems running and figure I might as well get the most out of each one.

Thanks so much for the help.

Trever

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: XEON apps?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2007, 10:37:33 pm »
I have read a few of the threads here trying to find out which app I should use for my Xeon machines. These are not necessarily the HT Xeons - in fact I know one is a fairly old Xeon system but since I have two systems with dual procs, I would love to get the most crunching power out of them.

According to CPU-Z:

System One:

2x Intel Xeon Prestonia core Brand ID 11 2.4 GHz Family F Model 2 Stepping 7 - socket 604 mPGA

Each processor has ONE Core and ONE thread

it will run MMX, SSE, SSE2

System Two:

2x Intel Xeon Prestonia core Brand ID 11 2.0 GHz Family F Model 2 Stepping 4 - socket 604 mPGA

Each processor has ONE core and TWO threads

It will run MMX, SSE, SSE2

Also, on older AMD procs (such as plain Athlon, etc.) - if they only support MMX and SSE, is it better to run the MMX or the SSE? And for the older Intel processors that do the same - run the SSE or the MMX?

I apologize for all the questions; but I have been crunching SETI for too long and have a bunch of systems running and figure I might as well get the most out of each one.

Thanks so much for the help.

Trever

For the XEONs, the SSE2-Intel-P4 version should be best.

The MMX version is the slowest, meant for systems which lack any floating point SIMD capability, the SSE version should be significantly better if that's supported. But there have been a few cases of systems with SSE on which the SSE version crashes, in that case dropping back to the MMX version makes sense.
                                                                             Joe

edwartr

Re: XEON apps?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2007, 10:39:42 am »
Thanks so much for the info Joe.

Now, lets see if I can get a bump in performance on those wonderful Xeons.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672