Forum > Linux

How to make your own optimized Seti@Home client for Linux

(1/6) > >>

Simon:
Hi,

you can find this How-To in the Articles section - here's a direct link:

How to make your own optimized Seti@Home client for Linux.

Please post about your success or failure using it!

Good luck,
Simon

Jocker:
Hi,

I've tried to build the Seti@Home client myself, but the Intel C Compiler did not supported GCC 4.1.
Yesterday i've seen that there is a new version of the compiler and i've loaded it.
But there is no more a fftw2mkl. So how to build with Intel's new compiler the Client?

Simon:
Jocker,

the Linux How-Tos need an update - MKL is not really necessary (I found out it doesn't alter speed at all).

Still, the source package and build scripts that are currently online still include references to both, which would be too much to list here.

Instead, I'll be updating the source packages this weekend, and please have patience until then - I've had much better build results with gcc-3.3/3.4 than 4.0, by the way, though it might not be so easy to switch.

Regards,
Simon.

ngdias:
Somewhere on your guide you mention:

"Note: all these instructions (as well as the scripts) are tuned for 32-bit Linux. You will have to edit them for 64-bit Linux (especially the compile-boinc-* and compile-seti-* scripts)."

I'm an Ubuntu 6.06 64-bit user and I have very little experience in compiling software. Could you please add to your guide the required instructions for 64bit?

Another 3 questions:
1. I have a Pentium D, so I guess the Intel compiler is adequate. But the AMD users should use it too?

2. If the SETI team decides to upgrade the client, what happens if I'm using yours, which is modified?

3. I think Pentium D supports SSE3, can I use this in ./compile-boinc-xxxx? Or should I use EM64T? This question also extends to ' CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse ${CFLAGS}" '. What should I have instead of 'pentium4'?

Simon:
Hi ngdias,

yes, the Intel compiler is appropriate to use for AMD owners, as well, as it produces the fastest code for PCs around - even though AMD CPUs may be slightly slower than Intels using these versions, they are still quicker than if you use any other compiler/library package.

When the S@H team decides to release a new app, I will release one as well (based on the official sources). As with all other optimized apps so far, you will have to update yours manually. Sorry, there is and will be no auto-update of the applications, that is way outside the scope of my activities :) Still, I may release a separate app that tries and finds out what version you're using and whether there is a more recent one available. Will take time.

Yes, you can create a new compile script that uses SSE3 - however, you will have to do more than just copy it to a new name - specifically, you will need to edit the compile script and change all occurrences of sse2 to sse3 as well as change "/xW" or "/xN" to "/xP". Please consult the ICC man pages for explanations on what these options really do :)

I will release updated Linux sources and update the How-To as well to reflect these changes, so either do it yourself now or be patient, please :)

As for 64-bit compilation, I really cannot give you hints there as I haven't been able to devote much time to it yet.

Regards,
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version