+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Aborted by the project work units  (Read 6976 times)

nutsalot

Aborted by the project work units
« on: 20 Jun 2007, 06:02:39 pm »
I have just updated my BOINC client from 5.8.16 to 5.10.7 because this appears to the new recommended production release. Since this update during reporting times the application is now Aborting many of my unstarted units to the extent it nearly deleted the whole of my 80 unit cache.

Does anyone know what is happening. Is this a new BOINC bug when I regress the BOINC code the problem appears to go away. Most frustrating noting that this code is supposed to be stable at the 5.10.7 release. If this is a real issue people all over the SETI program may flood the unit dowload servers trying to refill their caches untill there respective unit limits are reached.

I could just be missing something rather obvious ?

I hope it is not a Chicken and 5.10 boinc client incompataibility ?

PS. I have tried this on another machine and have seen the same issue thus ruling out an isolated hardware issue.

KWSN -  Sir Nutsalot - (Ni to all)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Aborted by the project work units
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2007, 08:54:52 pm »
I have just updated my BOINC client from 5.8.16 to 5.10.7 because this appears to the new recommended production release. Since this update during reporting times the application is now Aborting many of my unstarted units to the extent it nearly deleted the whole of my 80 unit cache.

It's a BOINC Scheduler feature which the project recently enabled. If the WU has been finished, reported, and validated for the first two results returned and not yet started by the third, that third host is directed to abort the work and get something useful. The feature only works with BOINC clients 5.8.17 and later.

The change has nothing to do with whether you're running an optimized app or stock, it's all in BOINC. You have probably already gotten this info from the S@H forums where it has been discussed a lot lately, but I thought it would be best to put an answer here in case someone else comes looking.
                                                                                         Joe

nutsalot

Re: Aborted by the project work units
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:09:13 am »
 I dont tend to use the try test versions so i missed the ball.

Its not very good that your computer statistics get flagged with aborted by user this is what pushed me to think that it might be a bug

Thanks for your response  ;D

Nutsalot crawls under a stone and falls to sleep but will check more forums before he asks in future  8)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672