+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: v2.2B stuttering  (Read 8544 times)

Raptor

v2.2B stuttering
« on: 04 Apr 2007, 10:41:39 am »
I've been a loyal SETI@home user since 1999. Ever since I started buying more powerful PC's I started looking at optimized SETI clients. I've used various clients over time, but stopped at the KWSN optimized clients because of the regular updates.

My PC (C2D E6600 @ 3.33 GHz) is running 24/7, with BOINC/SETI running in the background as a service.

My question regarding the latest version of the SETI client (v2.2B): why is it that every time a workunit changes (every 50 minutes per core) I get stuttering while doing anything for 3-5 seconds? It's really annoying, and has gotten me so annoyed that I'm writing this post. Is there anything I can do to prevent the clients from causing stuttering on my PC, other than reverting to v1.3 clients?

Before you ask, my PC is 100% stable (thoroughly tested with various tests for up to 72hrs continuous running).

PS: I'm not implying that I'm demanding anything or that I'm not very thankful for the time people put into making these optimized clients.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: v2.2B stuttering
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2007, 04:02:03 pm »
There's nothing you can do with 2.2B to avoid the issue. This MSDN article gives the breakdown of thread base priority for Windows, BOINC starts science applications at NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS process priority and during one of the initialization procedures the worker thread priority is lowered to THREAD_PRIORITY_IDLE, giving the worker thread a base priority of 1 (as low as possible). For the 2.2B tests of which subroutines are quickest, we boost the process priority to REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS.

We'll experiment with other changed settings for future releases, and hope we can find a combination which will both give good testing and not be quite as disturbing.
                                                                                    Joe

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2007, 06:14:54 am »
Can you give me an estimate on how much time I'd lose per WU by reverting to v1.3 (which didn't cause stuttering)? Would I be losing any work by reverting?

Is this the final path development will take with the KWSN client? (raise the priority for a couple of seconds per WU)

Would I be better off using one of the non-C2D SSSE3 optimized v2.0 clients? If so, which would you recommend: P4/PD or P-M (which AFAIK more closely resembles the inner-workings of C2D)?
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2007, 06:18:57 am by Raptor »

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2007, 10:29:54 am »
Is this the final path development will take with the KWSN client? (raise the priority for a couple of seconds per WU)

Probably, but maybe only a small boost to priority to get above Windows' background tasks.

Would I be better off using one of the non-C2D SSSE3 optimized v2.0 clients? If so, which would you recommend: P4/PD or P-M (which AFAIK more closely resembles the inner-workings of C2D)?

No, the routines which are tested are determined by your CPU capabilities so for this issue a different version wouldn't help.
                                                                               Joe

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2007, 05:32:15 pm »
Okay, thanks for the info.

I've reverted to the old v1.3 "Intel Core 2 SSSE3 optimized 5.15 app" and am awaiting a newer version that doesn't cause stuttering. Any news when/if that might happen anytime soon?

<edit>
Weird thing I noticed today. Ever since I reverted to the old v1.3 app all I've been getting is 0 credit for any WU I report.
my PC link
WU link 1
WU link 2
(you can see more WUs by clicking on the PC link above)

All I get is "Validate state: Result was reported too late to validate", even though the report deadline hasn't passed yet.

Crunch time for a WU went up by ~23%

<later edit>
I've just switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, and am running the v2.2B apps, No stuttering whatsoever. Also WUs are finished a bit faster.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2007, 06:46:30 pm by Raptor »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559