+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Suspicion--possibly 2.0_B hyperthreads poorly with Einstein  (Read 7255 times)

archae86

I'm a bit suspicious that 2.0_B may have been a step backward on my Gallatin hypertheaded system--but have not made truly careful observations, nor testing.

The system in question is a Gallatin (Northwood-descended, but with the 2 Megabyte L3 onboard cache--sold as the first Extreme Edition P4), Windows XP Pro, but with 533 MHz memory (slow for a Gallatin).  It runs Einstein (current release version) as the predominant BOINC application, with SETI currently given 10%, so nearly always when SETI runs it is paired with an Einstein on the other virtual processor.  The specific KWSN 2.0_B ap I ran for a couple of weeks is:

SaH_5.15_KWSN_SSE2-Intel_Ben-Joe_2.0_B.exe

The previous KWSN ap to which I have now reverted and against which these informal comparisons apply is:

setiathome-5.15-kwsn-sse2-p4.exe

(which I'll call R-1.3, as it reports itself so)

I have suspected for some time that 2.0_B when running considerably slows down the paired Einstein WU, as compared to the throughput when the thread is running either an Einstein or the previous KWSN SETI.

This is disturbing, as historically (and very widely reported) SETI and Einstein were synergistic HT pairs, getting greatest total system throughput with one SETI and One Einstein runing.

It is not completely implausible that an otherwise desirable programming change can greatly harm HT behavior.  Over on Einstein, there was one particular revision in Akos's wonderful series of improvement which abruptly lowered what had been up to then a mild HT gain to a very considerable HT loss (in both cases running a pair of Einstein instances).  So there is precedent, not that the precedent proves anything about the current case.

One other symptom, which may be evidence:

With R-1.3 my CPU temperature is unaltered when the system switches from running a pair of Einstein's to one Einstein, one SETI.  But with 2.0_B the CPU temperature drops about 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit, consistently.  I can actually look at the temperature graph in my ASUSProbe log and tell when the system started and stopped running a SETI time slice by looking at the temperature graphs.

I grant that I've not provided remotely convincing evidence--I started the topic in case it might attract comment from others, possibly others who have had a bit of suspicion.

Even if I am right, it may not apply equally to all hyperthreaded models, which vary considerably.

BenHer

Re: Suspicion--possibly 2.0_B hyperthreads poorly with Einstein
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec 2006, 06:34:48 pm »
Entirely possible as you say.

Hyperthreading is the attempt to use otherwise idle time on the CPU to compute another string of programming code.
If a given program somehow made very efficient use of its instructions, there would be very little idle time for any 2nd thread to use.  So both threads would compete more directly for what is really only a single CPU.

archae86

Re: Suspicion--possibly 2.0_B hyperthreads poorly with Einstein
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2006, 12:55:45 am »
I don't think it is just a matter of efficiency.  As Akos made a variety of massive Einstein efficiency improvements, most did not affect the HT benefit, but at least one had a massive effect.

Also, while there is only one CPU, it possesses multiple independently shedulable resources, and also multiple pipeline time lots for some of the resources.  Sometimes there really is a Free Lunch  (OK it does cost power--that actually was part of my point).

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672