Forum > Linux

R-2.0 Linux apps released?

<< < (2/4) > >>

michael37:
Is there any technical reason why the SSE3 (version 1.41) version with SSE3/-xP optimization does not exist for Linux?

Simon:
Quick correction - 1.41 is not SSE3 but SSSE3 and also not /QxP but /QxT.

Technical reason? Not really :) The real problem: on Windows, I can compile SSSE3 versions using only an SSE2-capable CPU. On Linux, no such luck - I'd need to have a Core 2 based compiler host (which I do not currently).

HTH,
Simon.

michael37:

--- Quote from: Simon on 08 Dec 2006, 08:48:42 am ---Quick correction - 1.41 is not SSE3 but SSSE3 and also not /QxP but /QxT.

Technical reason? Not really :) The real problem: on Windows, I can compile SSSE3 versions using only an SSE2-capable CPU. On Linux, no such luck - I'd need to have a Core 2 based compiler host (which I do not currently).

HTH,
Simon.

--- End quote ---
What OS do you recommend for Linux?  I have a strong preference to stay within Red Hat or SUSE families.

At work, I extensively use CentOS, so that's what I have now for Seti.  It's very tough to build on CentOS 4 due to old gnu utilities such as outdated Automake.

zvonas:

--- Quote from: Simon on 08 Dec 2006, 08:48:42 am ---Quick correction - 1.41 is not SSE3 but SSSE3 and also not /QxP but /QxT.

HTH,
Simon.

--- End quote ---
Hi,
I am running Fedora Core 6 x86_64 on Xeon Clovertown - it's similar to Core2. I can compile the sources if you provide me the sources with instructions what to do.

Pavel

Simon:
Well,

I must say that my preferences are to stay away from RH and Suse based distros, but that's all down to taste I guess ;)

Anyway, I use Debian Sarge with some custom entries in /etc/apt/sources.list for more recent software versions mostly, as well as Slackware 10.x to compile, both work fine for me.

Also, I recently set up a Gentoo host for 64-bit compilation, though that hasn't worked too well yet.

I have no real experience with building either BOINC or S@H on RH or Suse, sorry. Generally speaking, recent versions of both should be okay. Also, it helps to make compile scripts that set lib and include paths for each compile to make sure system default settings do not intervene.

Most probably, I will buy a MacBook Pro a bit after christmas, which will enable me to run Windows, Linux and OS X on one machine (as well as being able to compile all flavours of apps for each of them). So until then of course I'd appreciate you compiling and benchmarking the 1.41 codebase on Linux.

Please use the Linux Compilation How-To as a base to get started. Tell us how it goes :)

Regards,
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version