+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: BOINC not in c:\program files\BOINC  (Read 7677 times)

snakernetb

BOINC not in c:\program files\BOINC
« on: 30 Nov 2006, 09:26:52 am »
I don't have my BOINC installed on my c: partition, this is causing some issues w/ the installer.  I have it running on another machine, and it runs very well.  My issue is what files do I need to change in my p:\boinc\ folder to make the client run on my other machine.  I will have to manually install the optimized client...  Help anyone, I couldn't find a link or topic on this.  Thanks!   :'(

BenHer

Re: BOINC not in c:\program files\BOINC
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2006, 11:31:12 am »
Boinc's home directory is pointed to by some registry value.

If that is not currently used by the benchmark program it could be updated.

If the registry value does not exist, then the code could just say "not installed" and skip that part of its operation.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:19:24 pm »
Currently it doesn't use the registry setting (silly, I know), but that shall change in future revisions.

Also, I'm seriously considering moving to an Auto-It package, though I haven't yet had time to check it out more thoroughly.

Regards,
Simon.

snakernetb

« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2006, 12:08:43 pm »
Thanks for your updates on the question, but can I manually do it?  I would like to get it up and going on my laptop.  I have it on another machine but they each have there own computer # through the seti group/servers.  Is there a manual install method?  I just don't want to mess up my current work unit if possible.  I love your optimization and your benchmarking and program are very nice!  This is the only snafu that I have seen.  Keep up the good work.  I thank you if there is any way you can get me this method.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2006, 05:09:22 pm »
Yes, there is, actually.

Inside the same directory as the benchmark program you can find all the optimized apps themselves. This is half of what you need already - the other half is inside the "XML" subdirectory.

Best practice: run your cache on BOINC dry (meaning set BOINC to "no new tasks" and let it finish all it has). Then, stop BOINC - if you're running it as a service, you'll need to run "net stop boinc" in a dos box or from start/run, otherwise just closing the BOINC manager should work.

So, when you ran the test, it suggested an app to use. Copy that app to BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu, then look inside the XML\ subdir I mentioned above and copy the file with the same name as the app itself (like: SaH_5.15_KWSN_SSE2-PM_Ben-Joe_2.0_B.exe is the app, XML\SaH_5.15_KWSN_SSE2-PM_Ben-Joe_2.0_B.exe.app_info.xml is the corresponding XML file) to BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu. After copying this file, the last important step is to rename the .xml from "SaH_5.15_KWSN_SSE2-PM_Ben-Joe_2.0_B.exe.app_info.xml" to just "app_info.xml".

Or - you could just take note of which app it suggested and download that app separately from here.

Now start BOINC again, and don't forget to allow new tasks.

Happy crunching,
Simon.

snakernetb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:23:19 pm »
Thanks for the help on the that, I kind of figured that it wasn't too difficult.  I thought that it would be as easy as renaming some files from what I could see on my other box.  I just didn't want to totally screw up my install on my little lappy.  Thanks again for all the help.  ;D

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672