+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Is it working?  (Read 10268 times)

Zaphod

Is it working?
« on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:37:25 pm »
Installed (I think) the optimizer for amd dual core. Task now shows setiarhome enhanced 5.15.  If ths is the enhanced version how did it get on all of my machines? I have five on a basic network, only installed on one machine.

If it is working, and copied itself to all machines, how do I know it's ok for all machines? Two are dual core amd's, single core amd, and two hp intels.

PS for those of us over the age of 30 PLEASE CONSIDER USING A FONT LARGER THAN 6 POINTS SO WE CAN SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D

BenHer

Re: Is it working?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2006, 11:05:16 pm »
Press <ctrl> key while looking at most browsers and use your scroll wheel to change font sizes.

The program only gets installed where you install it.  The EXE wont copy itself anywhere, you must perform that action.

Enhanced has been the "name of the normal" seti for many months now, this is just the optimized version of that code.

Which version you use on your varous machines depends on what they are able to do and how well each version works there.

Later AMD Dual core or single core (usually called Athlon 64 or Sempron or other AMD names) should use the generic SSE2 version.

Middle range AMD Athlons  (Athlon XP)  should use the Generic SSE version.

Lower end Athlons (Just 'Athlon'  with no XP) should use MMX version.

The HP Intels are, most likeley, at least Pentium 4 CPUs.  But you would need to check and confirm this.  The generation order of Intel naming is

Pentium III
Pentium 4
Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)
Pentium M
Pentium D
Core Duo
Core2 Duo

Any system between 4 HT and Pentium D would benefit from the SSE3 version, probably even the Core Duo (not core2).  Core2 would work, but not be as fast as KWSN version 1.3.

Zaphod

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:09:20 pm »
Otay,  I thought I followed the instructions.   Sse2, copy all files to the Seti project folder.  Restarted Boinc, even restarted machine, no change.  Suggestions?

BenHer

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:21:32 pm »
The current, already started, WUs will finish computing with whatever cruncher was used to start crunching them.

The new cruncher shouldn't begin working until a new task begins crunching from the beginning, and with every newly started WU from there onward.

[newly started = status( ready to run) and progress( 0.000% ) ]

Zaphod

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2006, 08:01:09 pm »
waiting
wairing
waiting for the worms
to come

Nebby

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2006, 09:27:30 pm »
Ben,

It started using the new binary for me right away, even with WU's that were already started.  You can't miss the new executable in Task Manager.

Thanks to you and the rest of the gang for the improvements. 

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2006, 10:10:51 pm »
Nebby,

that's what usually happens - in fact, I'd say always, but it's not as apparent if you don't check using task manager.

BOINC never says anything else but "found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform".

Thing is, if you resume a WU that you started with a previous app, it will not show up in the stderr (and hence, look like that WU was crunched with the previous app in the BOINC stats). This is because Ben changed the sources so it only writes the stderr output when it's below 0.1% (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Ben :)) of WU completion. Reason for this being, when you suspend/resume a WU often, the stderr output would otherwise repeat a lot.

Hope that explains things,
Simon.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2006, 11:09:53 pm »
This is because Ben changed the sources so it only writes the stderr output when it's below 0.1% (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Ben :)) of WU completion. Reason for this being, when you suspend/resume a WU often, the stderr output would otherwise repeat a lot.

It was based on percentage for awhile, but now the identification info is only output if there's been no signal analysis done; i.e. when it's a new task.

There is a good indicator when a WU has been finished by the new version, it ouputs the signal and flop counts on two lines (one for labels and the numbers below). The older versions had individual lines for all 5 values with the label followed by the number.

Old style:

Code: [Select]
Flopcounter: 243250770573

Spike   count:  0
Pulse   count:  0
Triplet count:  0
Gaussian count: 0

New style:

Code: [Select]
Spikes Pulses Triplets Gaussians Flops
   0      0       1        0     790637442701
                                                                            Joe

BenHer

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2006, 01:04:49 am »
Hey - I've even optimized the stderr output....five lines down two lines  ::)

ScanMan

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:54:11 am »
Nebby,

that's what usually happens - in fact, I'd say always, but it's not as apparent if you don't check using task manager.

BOINC never says anything else but "found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform".

Thing is, if you resume a WU that you started with a previous app, it will not show up in the stderr (and hence, look like that WU was crunched with the previous app in the BOINC stats). This is because Ben changed the sources so it only writes the stderr output when it's below 0.1% (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Ben :)) of WU completion. Reason for this being, when you suspend/resume a WU often, the stderr output would otherwise repeat a lot.

Hope that explains things,
Simon.

Will the app mentioned in this thread work with BOINC 5.10.30?

regards

Matt

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats