+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: History of Lunatics  (Read 10494 times)

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
History of Lunatics
« on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:24:00 pm »
As a bit of this is a bit new to me, I was wondering about the history of Lunatics. When and how did it form? Who were the founder(s), and how is it funded? Does it need donations, basically I just wanted to know the Lunatics roots. I am very interested.

Thanks,
Steve
 8)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: History of Lunatics
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:51:39 pm »
Working from fuzzy recall, so there will almost certainly be some inaccuracies:

In June of 2006, Simon Zadra set up the site. On the S@H boards his moniker was KWSN - Chicken of Angnor. The site was originally hosted on one of his systems in Austria, later moved to the KWSN server.

That was not too long after the first release of S@H Enhanced at the main project, there were optimized versions available but Simon wanted to set up a gathering place for those interested in making further improvements. He was also involved in development of Enigma 2.0 which forms the structure of the site, had experience building applications for both Windows and Linux, etc. Just after the site was set up, some generous contributors donated funds so he could use the Intel Compiler and Intel Performance Primitives for building releases.

In 2004 Eric Korpela had set up a Sourceforge project for enhancements to S@H, and a very skilled programmer named Ben Herndon was involved there. That effort had faded out before this place was set up, Ben brought over and made further improvements on much of the work he'd done there.

I was also involved from near the beginning, having also contributed some code to S@H Enhanced while it was being worked on at SETI Beta.

Crunch3r was also active; he's very good at building releases for almost any platform and figuring out which compiler and compiler options are best.

Anyhow, there were a sequence of releases starting with not much modification from the stock code, just rebuilding with the best tools and making separate builds for hosts with different capabilities, proceding to later builds with improvements by Ben, me, some imports from Alex Kan's work for Macs, etc.

That sequence ended at version 2.4. Ben Herndon had lost interest and bowed out. I had ported many parts of our code to the project. Crunch3r got involved in an argument on the NC forum and more or less moved away from SETI. Then Simon stopped  posting here, and hasn't even visited since near the end of August 2007. He left no explanation and I don't know why.

Things were looking pretty discouraging until Jason and Raistmer got involved, now we're cooking. The AK_v8 builds are based on work Alex Kan did for Mac systems, S@H CUDA and Astropulse directly from the project sources but the latter heavily modified in the CPU builds and of course almost totally rewritten for the builds which use GPUs. Urs Echternacht has fired up the Linux, BSD, and Mac efforts, Devaster collaborates with Raistmer on some of the GPU work, there are occasional contributions from talented individuals like JDWhale, etc.

There are many others who have contributed in many ways. Testers are always a necessity without which development cannot be effective, Gecko's maintenance of the site has prevented it turning into an unusable target of spammers, etc.
                                                                                     Joe

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that. I found it very interesting. What is the current means of support, and is it stable?

Steve

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2010, 07:47:56 pm »
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that. I found it very interesting. What is the current means of support, and is it stable?

Steve

[facetiousness]Old Joe's binary soup kitchen, today serving chicken soup[/facetiousness]

In all seriousness, we 'survived' through the gracious help of KWSN (Knights Who Say Ni!) admin, that rehosted the site after Simon's disappearance  ... on our own interest & determination, and good will.  ;)  I guess I had been so concerned with the project's survival, more than our own, to give it that much thought   :).

Jason

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559