+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: transfering work units between computers  (Read 14572 times)

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
transfering work units between computers
« on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:21:50 pm »
if anybody knows, could someone write a how to.
thanks

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: transfering work units between computers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:39:08 pm »
1) transferring separate tasks from one boinc installation to another - imposible.
2) transferring complete boinc data directory between computers but keep crunching on both - it's possible.

Howto:

1) set tasks you want to crunch on another PC to suspended state.
2)Set boinc to suspended network state.
3) copy complete BOINC data directory to another PC (backup its own BOINC data directory before).
4) start boinc as usual, suspend tasks that crunching on first PC and resume those you will crunch on second one.

5) you can report tasks from both hosts then, but better to do report only from first one (that way you will avoid new hosts recodr creation on server).
Just move complete data directory back to first host when first host completes (and reports) its own work share.

[such procedure I used when some big outage was 1-2 years ago and my notebook recived work wile fast quad+GSO9600 - not. So it used notebooks share of work to crunch. Unfortunately, there were no nice reShedule app we have now. So currently toy can even load CPU_GPU host from CPU-only one and vice versa]
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 02:43:10 pm by Raistmer »

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:52:05 pm »
i seem to remember the fella who wrote reschedule has done it, but i may have misunderstood him.  i've thought of doing exactly what you have suggested, if a fast rig completely runs out of work i may do that.  i just hate to screw with bonic when i got a lot of results waiting to be uploaded or reported.

i really wish there was support for a setiqueue application, that was far superior to bonic.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2010, 03:30:39 pm »
  i just hate to screw with bonic when i got a lot of results waiting to be uploaded or reported.
So don't forget to set BOINC to "no network activity" before you start to move directories and make backup of whole BOINC data dir after You setted BOINC to no-network and exited it.
That way you can restore from backup. Most importand point - not letting BOINC to report to server that something was wrong. If it did that - all is lost. BOINC works like spy sometimes ;)

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2010, 10:23:21 pm »
Could be, it does use a few , 3 , ports, I think. Would noticed if a task, used trickle-up, like CPDN .
Btw. Aan't reach SETI, could be down.

loudbob

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2010, 10:53:49 pm »
Nice topic, tried to do this a few times (with no luck).

Now I know.

;D

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2010, 06:02:38 pm »
i seem to remember the fella who wrote reschedule has done it, but i may have misunderstood him.  i've thought of doing exactly what you have suggested, if a fast rig completely runs out of work i may do that.  i just hate to screw with bonic when i got a lot of results waiting to be uploaded or reported.

i really wish there was support for a setiqueue application, that was far superior to bonic.

Thats right, but i did it by copying the whole data directory from a slow machine to a faster machine (using the same boinc versions).  ;D

Theoretically it's possible to seperate the units but thats a hell of a job with that creapy .xml layout and all those different configurations

[B^S] zioriga

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2010, 01:42:20 am »
Warning !!!!
If you have two different GPU cards on the two PC, may be the GPU WUs abort when you transfer the directory !!!
This is quite similar with a situation I had some time ago, when I changed the GPU card while the computer had  an unfinished GPU WU.
The result was the abort with an error.
So it's better to terminate the GPU WU and then transfer the directory

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats