Forum > PS3 / Cell BE crunching

PS3 projects

(1/2) > >>

Devaster:
Yay i had bought a PS3 yesterday ....
YDL i downloading , so give me some hints for projects for PS3
but i cant find a ps3grid on the web what happend ?

(and off course wanna try some developing for PS3)

Raistmer:
There is SETI port for PS3, but I heard that new PS3 have OS locked, you can't install required OS (linux) on them... Will be interesting what you will be able to do with yours.
For SETI port you should contact with dotch probably on SETI main

Richard Haselgrove:

--- Quote from: Devaster on 19 Mar 2010, 07:30:57 am ---
but i cant find a ps3grid on the web what happend ?

--- End quote ---

It turned into GPUGrid

IrishFBall32:

--- Quote from: Raistmer on 19 Mar 2010, 07:59:01 am ---There is SETI port for PS3, but I heard that new PS3 have OS locked, you can't install required OS (linux) on them... Will be interesting what you will be able to do with yours.

--- End quote ---

The locking is actually based on the hardware - Slim models don't allow "Other OS" installation. I suppose this is really an OS setting, but non-slim PS3s don't lock it down, even on the newest OS versions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_the_PlayStation_3

cenit:

--- Quote from: IrishFBall32 on 22 Mar 2010, 08:00:58 pm ---
--- Quote from: Raistmer on 19 Mar 2010, 07:59:01 am ---There is SETI port for PS3, but I heard that new PS3 have OS locked, you can't install required OS (linux) on them... Will be interesting what you will be able to do with yours.

--- End quote ---

The locking is actually based on the hardware - Slim models don't allow "Other OS" installation. I suppose this is really an OS setting, but non-slim PS3s don't lock it down, even on the newest OS versions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_the_PlayStation_3

--- End quote ---

starting from firmware v3.21 sony is removing Other OS feature also from older fat ps3.
Security reasons, they say. I'm sad because it's the first time that a console looses features during it's lifetime: first retrocompatibility, then SACD and now also the ability to install Linux...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version