+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: why is cuda linux missing from download area?  (Read 9728 times)

BeemerBiker

why is cuda linux missing from download area?
« on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:25:53 pm »
I found the setiathome-CUDA-6.08.X86_64.tar in the first post of the seti cuda thread.  Is there any reason why it is not in the download area?  The files are dated 1/18/2009 and I was woindering if that is still good for the latest and greatest ubuntu 9.1.  I have a GTS-250 which is not double preciision.  It seems to run fine for einstein and gpugriid cuda on 9.1 with 190.53 and 6.10.32

Are there any problems with this 1/18/2009 version?

thanks for looking.

Leopoldo

Re: why is cuda linux missing from download area?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:50:59 am »
I was woindering if that is still good for the latest and greatest ubuntu 9.1.
Doesn't work.

I tested combination of Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit + CUDA SETI  and variants { NVIDIA 190.53 + CUDA libraries 2.3 } or { NVIDIA 185.18+ CUDA libs 2.2 } don't works for me. Yes, Einstein + 190.52 + 2.3 works.

I tried to test seti-cuda standalone and look into stderr.txt - there were many lines "Cuda error 'GaussFit_kernel' in file './cudaAcc_gaussfit.cu' in line 506 : invalid configuration argument." - ever stderr.txt size is greater than a megabytes. So, comparison of CUDA-crunched result to the CPU-crunched one showed no gaussians calculated for CUDA.

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2010, 09:10:58 am »
@BeemerBiker
There is a bit newer seti cuda version at http://calbe.dw70.de/mb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=116

@Leopoldo
Seti cuda doesn't work in 32bit, you'll need to convert your ubuntu to 64bit. In the link I've posted above for BeemerBiker, there is a 32bit client but is totally untested. I still advise you to go 64bit. If you also run astropulse, it is way faster in 64bit. For any problems post here in lunatics and we'll try to solve them.

Leopoldo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:04:54 pm »
@Leopoldo
Seti cuda doesn't work in 32bit, you'll need to convert your ubuntu to 64bit. In the link I've posted above for BeemerBiker, there is a 32bit client but is totally untested. I still advise you to go 64bit. If you also run astropulse, it is way faster in 64bit. For any problems post here in lunatics and we'll try to solve them.
I understood already. But how to do a conversion of working 32-bit Ubuntu into 64-bit version is still a mystery for me. By googling I saw only a suggestion for a clean reinstall. Is it a true? Gladly, I can do this because instead of md-raid1 (i can't push mdadm into glueless work, mirror always broken after artificially degraded raid-array due to physically disconnected one of two raid-harddrives) I'm using rsync everyday... Main question is: will this conversion help with enabling of CUDA-crunching with Crunch3r-made CUDA-app?

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:43:33 pm »
Yes, a clean reinstall is the best option. Why do you need 32bit anyway? We're not in the '90s.  ;)

If you need to make a list of all installed packages, so you can reinstall them after the move, do:

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > /home/...  (wherever you want to save it)

Then from synaptic you'll load this list and all packages will reinstall.

Brodo

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:15:55 am »
A good and helpful answer but it doesn't answer the original question. Why is the Linux x86_64 CUDA client not available from the download area ?

Something I've wondered myself on the odd occasion.

Brodo

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:41:23 am »
A good and helpful answer but it doesn't answer the original question. Why is the Linux x86_64 CUDA client not available from the download area ?

Something I've wondered myself on the odd occasion.

I wonder myself too.

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:11:21 am »
Because nobody has demonstrated themselves to be sufficiently community-minded to join this community, share coding ideas and techniques, develop a fully-fledged application, submit it for peer testing and tweak as necessary, supply documentation and source code, and stay around to help early adopters and maintain the apps as needed.

I think that's a reasonable (brief) summary of the sort of qualities that earn a place in the download area: people who just drop off hit-and-run applications en passant can make their own hosting arrangements.

Gecko_R7

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:45:42 pm »
Crunch3r ported and compiled the last MB linux aps as well as MB Cuda.
He was the "lead" developer of these, built them, and was far better prepared to deal w/ SW/HW compatibility and user support questions.
Linux (historically) has not been a very strong suit of familiarity and skills here, and realistically, Crunch3r has been the independent defacto Linux expert for quite a while.
However, Urs is bringing additional expertise and support in this area now.  ;) and our resident devs are becoming more familiar w/ Cuda and ATI programming.

Linux MB and x64 MB Cuda aps can be found at below links. 
EDIT: x32 MB Cuda ap is withdrawn due to unresolved bugs/issues. (Thanks for the heads-up Richard!)

Linux x64
Linux x32

The MB builds are in an announcement on page (2) of Lunatics home page.
They were also announced at NC in the Opt release thread.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2010, 01:16:20 am by Gecko_R7 »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559