Forum > Linux

Initial public release - SSE Linux optimized Seti@Home client (5.15)

(1/3) > >>

Simon:
Hi everyone,

this client has been compiled using Intel's excellent compiler and library package (Links in the Links section, also in the How-To). It's version 5.15 and based on Eric Korpela's source tarballs.

It has been tested on a lot of different hardware - various Pentium 3, Athlon XP and Duron-based machines. The results it produces have validated 100% in all tests.

Still, if you decide to use this client, it's at your own risk. Despite all testing that has gone into making sure it performs valid science and does so quickly, something might go wrong. YMMV.

That said, here's the download link:

Linux SSE-optimized Seti@Home client (UPX-compressed)
Linux SSE-optimized Seti@Home client (uncompressed)

Please post whether it worked for you or not!
You will have to register before you can post.

Installation is very simple - when you unpack the archive, it will put all its files into a directory called "setiathome-5.15-kwsn-sse". Copy the contents of that folder (all files inside it, not the directory!) into BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu.

You should test whether it works on your platform before copying it - simply run it in the directory you unpacked it to. This way, if something goes wrong, you won't lose your cached WUs.

Then simply restart (stop and start) your BOINC client, it should recognize the app_info.xml and resume all your WUs for you.

Regards,
Simon

Metod, S56RKO:
Simon,

this is great news. Thanks a lot!

BTW, any chance to get uncompressed version? It does annoy me a bit to see a 4 instead of setiathome_5.15_kwsn_whatever in output of top.

Simon:
Coming right up :) Just haven't uploaded it yet. Thanks for reminding me!

The downloads area now has both UPX-compressed and uncompressed binaries.

Interestingly, the UPX-compressed binaries show up with their real name in my "top" or "ps aux". What distro are you using again?

Regards,
Simon.

Metod, S56RKO:

--- Quote from: Simon on 01 Jul 2006, 04:26:16 pm ---Interestingly, the UPX-compressed binaries show up with their real name in my "top" or "ps aux". What distro are you using again?

--- End quote ---

Debian sarge, RedHat 7.3 or Gentoo. I've een the same on Slackware.

pgy:
I see the same with the compressed client on FC4 - just '4'. The uncompressed version looks right in top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version