Forum > Linux

Astropulse app install problem

(1/2) > >>

MasterChief:
I just recently came back to seti@home after a long absence.

Last night I installed the boinc client and manager using apt-get. It's currently running just fine but seems a little slow. I'm running Ubuntu server 9.04 32-bit on a ProLiant DL580 G2 with quad Intel 2.2ghz Xeon MP cpu's, 8gb of ram, and four 10k scsi drives in raid 5. Eight cpu's running at 100% looks nice in the system monitor.

I got to reading the BOINC wiki etc and came across this place and the optimized apps for speeding things up. I downloaded the Linux 32-bit for SSE2 and read the install instructions. I understand how to stop the manager part OK. In the copy files part though things don't jibe very well. It says to copy files to the "BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu" directory. I can't find that directory. Only place I can find BOINC at all is in /etc/boinc-client.

I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to Linux. Specially concerning Ubuntu. I'm more familiar with Fedora. Is using apt-get to get BOINC not the right approach? Or am I just looking in the wrong place? Or can I just copy the files into the /etc/boinc-client folder?

I have only only one astropulse task at present. It shows 350:49:28 to completion! Looks like I really need to speed this beast up some?

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Josef W. Segur:

--- Quote from: MasterChief on 18 Oct 2009, 06:57:32 pm ---...
It says to copy files to the "BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu" directory. I can't find that directory. Only place I can find BOINC at all is in /etc/boinc-client.

I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to Linux. Specially concerning Ubuntu. I'm more familiar with Fedora. Is using apt-get to get BOINC not the right approach? Or am I just looking in the wrong place? Or can I just copy the files into the /etc/boinc-client folder?

I have only only one astropulse task at present. It shows 350:49:28 to completion! Looks like I really need to speed this beast up some?

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
--- End quote ---

The files must go in ".../projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu", wherever that is. It's an optimized science application for the S@H project, not a modified BOINC client. Someone more knowledgable about Ubuntu can probably advise you more specifically.

BOINC's estimate of how long work will take adapts after you've completed some, don't believe it yet. The Astropulse progress is fairly linear, if your host has done over 5% you can calculate a better estimate from the time spent getting that far.
                                                                                 Joe

arkayn:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC_on_Ubuntu

Creates the working directory /var/lib/boinc-client/ for BOINC data files and the slots and projects directories. Also creates links from this directory to the files in /etc/boinc-client

MasterChief:
Thanks for the replies.

After a little messing around...I now have the Astropulse optimized app working!

Had to do a little chmod work to get the needed permissions...but all ended well. ;D

I currently have four astropulse tasks running. Though things don't seem to running any faster, I'll wait and see how it goes. The old Xeons aren't the fastest things around. :D

Urs Echternacht:

--- Quote --- ... quad Intel 2.2ghz Xeon MP cpu's ...
--- End quote ---

Be aware that these oldies have very small L2 caches (p. 512kb only + 1024kb or 2048kb L3) . So do not run too many AP tasks at once, because that will degrade runtimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version