Forum > Linux

Problem with stock AP 5.06 apps

(1/2) > >>

Cosmic_Ocean:
First off, I would love to try the beta, but my post count isn't as built-up here as it is on the SETI forum (probably should fix that..)

Secondly, I think I have a different AP problem using the stock apps.  For both 32 and 64-bit, both of them immediately fail with 'Floating point exception' in stand-alone testing.

Stock 5.03 32/64 operates in stand-alone just fine, as well as r112 [edit: typed 168 initially] (32/64).

Kernel is 2.6.16.21-0.8-default

CPU: AMD Sempron64 3400+ (can do SSE3)

I haven't been able to find if this is a common problem, or not, as AP has been scarce for the past few weeks until we ran out of MB over the weekend.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated, and I will provide more details upon request.

sunu:
Checking your hosts I've only seen one workunit with errors: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=1352571512. Copying it here in case it disappears:

<core_client_version>6.2.15</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
process exited with code 22 (0x16, -234)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
execv: Permission denied

</stderr_txt>

Please see http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=280 . Also check to see if boinc and seti clients have proper permissions and are set as executables. That boinc version is quite old, you could use a newer one.

Is there any particular reason that you run such an old kernel?

Cosmic_Ocean:
When I added the stock 5.06 to the app_info, I copied the section for 503 and changed the app name to 'astropulse_v505', the version to 505, and the file name accordingly.  Also made sure to do a chown and chmod to match everything else that has always worked.

Second, the kernel is old, as is the client, but they get the job done.  The kernel is so old because that's what came with the vanilla release of SLES10 and I have not updated it, because the last time I tried a kernel update, I bricked the system.  That box used to be a 64-bit test bed for a theoretical physics system I was involved in, but the project fell apart, so I threw BOINC on it.

6.2.15 is old, but realistically, there is not a good enough reason to upgrade it.  I do not need CUDA support, and it does not have any problems.

Also, as I said, after that one failed task, I decided to try a stand-alone test (make a new directory somewhere, copy a WU and the executable to there, rename the WU to 'in.dat', and run the application).  That ends up going like this:

--- Code: ---altair:~/boinctest # ./astropulse_5.06_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Floating point exception
altair:~/boinctest # ./astropulse_5.06_i686-pc-linux-gnu
Floating point exception
altair:~/boinctest #
--- End code ---

Both of those were grabbed from fanout where the WUs are.

Stock 5.03 32/64 work properly, as does r112 32/64.

Cosmic_Ocean:
Also as a side-note, I noticed r168 showed up on the downloads page, so I grabbed it and ran ldd on it.  I need GLIBCXX_3.4.9, and my current libstdc++ provides all the way up to 3.4.8..

Found a newer RPM for libstdc++, but half the system depends on the current version that isn't quite up to par, and therefore cannot be installed or upgraded.

I would rather not have to reinstall the system with some other distro just because of one package.  Also the uptime is closing in on a full year.

Urs Echternacht:

--- Quote from: Cosmic_Ocean on 09 Sep 2009, 02:12:31 am ---Also as a side-note, I noticed r168 showed up on the downloads page, so I grabbed it and ran ldd on it.  I need GLIBCXX_3.4.9, and my current libstdc++ provides all the way up to 3.4.8..

Found a newer RPM for libstdc++, but half the system depends on the current version that isn't quite up to par, and therefore cannot be installed or upgraded.

I would rather not have to reinstall the system with some other distro just because of one package.  Also the uptime is closing in on a full year.

--- End quote ---
Sorry, Cosmic_Ocean, but if you had read the README_APP.txt that came in the released package you could have known that before the failures. kernel versions below 2.6.22 are NOT supported. Therefor please update if you want to run this application.

p.s. Otherwise you could wait for official release of Linux opt. 64bit and 32bit applications and try to rebuild the application yourself from source. Maybe that is easier than updating your SLES-host.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version