+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Where are the best CPU/GPU stats  (Read 11871 times)

ralph

Where are the best CPU/GPU stats
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:48:20 pm »
I'm interested in seeing some kind of sortable list featuring average workunit times, for CPU/GPU combinations, along with a summary of computer hardware cost per workunit-hour (or something like that).

It seems like the BOINC stats should allow something like that, perhaps with an additional line of two of metadata to indicate motherboard type, if it exists.

Does this exist anywhere?

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Where are the best CPU/GPU stats
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2009, 05:24:01 am »
AFAIK no.
Time for MB task will depend from task itself (it's AR value for example), not only from hardware.
But if you will find such table it would be nice to have link :)

paxv

Re: Where are the best CPU/GPU stats
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:12:42 am »
It could be done, we only need a standard WU with a known amount of calculations to verify CPU or GPU processing time. And a database to compare and then we'd only have a few variables,
namely :
(optimised) BOINC version,
(optimised)Seti app version,
OS name/version,

and 
CPU brand/type/speed/cores,
cache & main memory,clock,type,
GPU brand/type/speed(s) memclock,ramtype,shaders etc,

instruction sets,
OC info...

Though some could be derived from the components it would still create a huge problem to verify results... But still... It might be usefull.
I know SETI Netherlands did a speed comparison a while ago. maybe there's still something listed.

Greetz,

Ronald

ralph

Anecdotal processing stats
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2009, 02:09:37 pm »
Still no luck finding sortable SETI benchmarks by hardware/GPU/motherboard type.

I got a 30% speedup by running an optimized SETI client for the AMD x2 processor.
This took WU processing time from 2:40 (160 minutes) to just under 1:50 (110 minutes).

I then added an Nvidia GeForce 250 board, replacing the ATI card which doesn't support CUDA, with an nVidia card.  The workunits are all larger now, so I can't directly compare new and old processing times, but it's between 60 and 100% faster now.

Three questions:

1a) Is there a case style with more room for the 12v power connectors on nVidia cards?
The current card has connectors that stick up from the top, and this Antec HTPC case doesn't leave enough clearance to put the lid on.

1b) Which GPU board has power connectors that stick straight out from the board, instead of at a right angle.

2) When will there be a SETI client optimized for OpenCL - this would benefit ATI and nVidia GPU users.

3) This ECS/AMD motherboard has only one PCI express x16 slot, is there a recommended Intel core i7 motherboard that has more PCI express slots for more GPUs?  I might prefer put 4 $100 GPUs instead of a single $600 one.

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2009, 11:38:53 pm by ralph »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Anecdotal processing stats
« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2009, 05:51:11 pm »

2) When will there be a SETI client optimized for OpenCL - this would benefit ATI and nVidia GPU users.

Still not, AMD/ATI has no OpenCL support for GPU. Moreover, very probably their initial OpenCL GPU support will be severely limited (as current CPU  is). But they promise...

When OpenCL tools will be available for public from both card manufacturers (even nVidia has OpenCL only for closed beta group now) SETI will be ported to OpenCL.

Offline MarkJ

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: Anecdotal processing stats
« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2009, 04:19:21 am »
Still no luck finding sortable SETI benchmarks by hardware/GPU/motherboard type.

I got a 30% speedup by running an optimized SETI client for the AMD x2 processor.
This took WU processing time from 2:40 (160 minutes) to just under 1:50 (110 minutes).

I then added an Nvidia GeForce 250 board, replacing the ATI card which doesn't support CUDA, with an nVidia card.  The workunits are all larger now, so I can't directly compare new and old processing times, but it's between 60 and 100% faster now.

Three questions:

1a) Is there a case style with more room for the 12v power connectors on nVidia cards?
The current card has connectors that stick up from the top, and this Antec HTPC case doesn't leave enough clearance to put the lid on.

1b) Which GPU board has power connectors that stick straight out from the board, instead of at a right angle.

3) This ECS/AMD motherboard has only one PCI express x16 slot, is there a recommended Intel core i7 motherboard that has more PCI express slots for more GPUs?  I might prefer put 4 $100 GPUs instead of a single $600 one.

Yes the power connectors are always fun. I am in the process of getting CoolerMaster Storm Sniper cases with ASUS P6T mobos. I have one at present and it has heaps of cooling and room inside for the 120mm HSF and of course the graphics cards. They are extra wide.

If you want extra x16 PCIe slots look at the "deluxe" version of the P6T. The standard P6T has two (plus an x4), the deluxe has four of them.

The main problem with multiple cards is the cooling and power. 2 x GTS250's take 4 slots wide and use 300w. A GTX295 will take 2 slots wide and use 289w and will be faster. 

I have an older P6T machine in a different case with dual GTX260's (now discontinued) with a Corsair 1000w power supply. I was looking to put an ATI HD4850 card in there as well in the x4 slot but ran out of power cables. The power supply has the grunt and the connectors, just the GTX260's used up the 4 PCIe power cables that it came with, so I need more   :(

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672