+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: What BOINC features we need and what don't  (Read 18721 times)

DLukenbill

Re: What BOINC features we need and what don't
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:27:41 pm »
I would like to have the ability to set resource shares between projects per resource (cpu / gpu ... ).
I agree.  It would be nice to have a "resources" tab under preferences which would let me set the resource share for the projects.  An option to enter/display them as a percentage would be nice also.

Are these ideas and requests being forwarded to the BOINC Manager developers, or is it a local wish list?

Vid Vidmar

Re: What BOINC features we need and what don't
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2009, 09:14:00 am »
What, like having 4 core cpu with different projects running on each core at the same time(+gpu)
It seems to be easier to schedule properly each project
Well not exactly. What I have in mind is what I spammed a couple of message boards about: having something like a separate scheduler thread for each resource, be it CPU, GPU or any other device. Then ofc you would have to modify the manager like DLukenbill suggested, or something like having a tab for each resource, and add/remove projects to them (without necessarily attaching other resources to those projects), and set resource shares between projects using that particular resource.

I would like to have the ability to set resource shares between projects per resource (cpu / gpu ... ).
I agree.  It would be nice to have a "resources" tab under preferences which would let me set the resource share for the projects.  An option to enter/display them as a percentage would be nice also.

Are these ideas and requests being forwarded to the BOINC Manager developers, or is it a local wish list?
My fear is, that it's more a local kind. And even if it wasn't, I don't think those developers would even consider them. Too many things to modify and fix. Too much work. However it might prove useful to have such a list, one never knows when someone will decide to do things right.
BR,
Vid
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 09:16:56 am by Vid Vidmar »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0