+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: CUDA_V12_app  (Read 43606 times)

Sutaru Tsureku

CUDA_V12_app
« on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:06:53 pm »
I used the Installer (unchecked MB/AP, checked only CUDA) and installed to a temporary - not to the setiathome.berkeley.edu - folder.

Then I took the CUDA_V12_app and the 3 .dll's .

And on my GPU cruncher work this app..  ;)

4 x OCed GTX260-216
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4789793

Hmm.. it's look like the CPU support time is like before with the latest CUDA_V11_app.
Current I can't look to the real wall clock time, because the tasks overview of the PCs are disabled at SETI@home.

In the description I read:
Build with smaller pulse find limit (2048), hoped to exhibit less issues on most nVidia Cards.

What does this mean?

Which GPUs are meant?

GTX260-216 ?

The CUDA_V12_app should be faster than the CUDA_V11_app ?

The CPU preparation time of the CUDA WUs are the same.
So the GPU calculation time is faster?

Thanks! :)

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: CUDA_V12_app
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:40:16 pm »
In the description I read:
Build with smaller pulse find limit (2048), hoped to exhibit less issues on most nVidia Cards.

What does this mean?

Which GPUs are meant?

GTX260-216 ?
It turmed out to be all GPU cards tested so far.  If you didn't get any display problems & laginess before, then it doesn't apply to you, no change willl be obvious. [Edit: Of course if you have no display plugged into the card, you wouldn't see any display problems either  ;D]

The CUDA_V12_app should be faster than the CUDA_V11_app ?
  By some small amount only, depending on machine/card.  That may or may not apply to your card, since it is already fast  ;), and some small change in time might be hard to notice/measure.
The CPU preparation time of the CUDA WUs are the same.
So the GPU calculation time is faster?
  No, the preparation time should be shorter than V11.  If not, then your CPU is too fast for you to tell the difference also.  :D

So the changes may or may not have any effect at all on your card/system, which I would place in the category of 'ninja bastard' hardware, that will just go fast anyway.  They are mostly directed at those of us whose machines used to become unusable for normal use.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 01:17:04 pm by Jason G »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
It's part of internal app tuning leaked into public area :)
Only really slow (like 8300 if such card exists :) ) GPUs could have some problems with changes that governed by this value.
And yes, V12 could be slightly faster than V11. Mostly in VLAR area though. But VLAR processing too slow still so I recommend not to use CUDA MB apps to process VLAR tasks. Use rebranding instead.

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:44:48 pm »
I switched from a V11 wich was working fine to V12, and my videos started freezing, it reminded me of the CPU optis a long time ago. How is that possible ?

I restored my backup and all is OK.

This was some weeks ago, I wil try the new nvidia/CUDA drivers and make another attempt at V12.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:55:23 pm »
I switched from a V11 wich was working fine to V12, and my videos started freezing, it reminded me of the CPU optis a long time ago. How is that possible ?

I restored my backup and all is OK.

This was some weeks ago, I wil try the new nvidia/CUDA drivers and make another attempt at V12.
then stay with V11, just update CUDA RT DLLs to 2.3

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:07:40 pm »
OK, I can do it step by step. It's a little bit confusing. The days of the simple optis are long gone  ;D

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:17:09 pm »
OK, I can do it step by step. It's a little bit confusing. The days of the simple optis are long gone  ;D
Did you use installer or downloaded V12 from some other source?

Sutaru Tsureku

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:18:07 pm »
@ Lord Asmodeus

DL the Installer for your OS here:
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads;catd=9

If you installed, the CUDA app work fine.
Min. nVIDIA_driver_185.85

If you would like to have a little booster take the newest nVIDIA_driver_190.38 and the CUDA_V2.3 .dll's.. ~ 30 % faster.
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/12-gpu-crunching/latest-nvidiadriver-and-cudaversion.0.html

Sutaru Tsureku

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:20:23 pm »
Because of the priority of the CUDA_V12_app.

IIRC, in past with all stock the priority of the apps:
CPU tasks 'low'
GPU tasks 'lower than normal'

And this all the time.

Now with the opt._CUDA_app:
CPU tasks 'low'
GPU tasks 'low'*

[* at the CUDA WU start this priority is for ~ 5 sec. to 'lower than normal'. After down to 'low'.]

The priority is shown wrong in TaskManager and the opt._CUDA_app is all the time like the stock_CUDA_app at 'lower than normal'?
If, why the priority isn't shown correct all the time with the opt._CUDA_app?

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2009, 08:24:21 pm by Sutaru Tsureku »

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:28:35 pm »
The priority is shown wrong in TaskManager and the CUDA WU is all the time like the stock app at 'lower than normal'?
If, why the priority isn't shown correct all the time with the opt. CUDA app?

Hi Sutaru, the "Process Priority" shown by task manager is controlled/set by Boinc when it launches the app.  What is manipulated inside the GPU app is the priority of the internal 'worker thread', which apparently was set too low in the original code.  To see/manipulate individual thread priorities, you would need to use 'Process Explorer' or similar tool.  My understanding, though it's Raistmer's mod so he can explain his reasoning better, is the worker thread is put at a slightly higher priority than before, which ensures certain types of stalls & such won't occur as often, since kernel operations & transfers can be time sensitive, so should be allowed to complete before interruptions from the controlling thread.  The need for this may or may not be reduced in the future.

Sutaru Tsureku

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:49:15 pm »
Uhh.. I understand you with my ' poor ' school english..  :-[  ;) ..like this.. that the opt._CUDA_app have little higher priority than the normal 'lower than normal' in TaskManager ?
Something between 'lower than normal' and 'normal' ?

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2009, 08:52:23 pm by Sutaru Tsureku »

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:30:34 pm »
Yes, I used the installer.

I just did it again, and had the same result.

Videos seams to "slideshow" a little, in fact even the screen in general seems impaired, with the mouse slowing, etc.

When I restore my backup of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC folder, it doesn't work ! Does the installer do something elsewhere ? boinc.exe takes 25% of the CPU (a full core) and no app seems to launch, but it screws WU (CUDA & CPU) one by one. I have to uninstall BOINC, reinstall it, then it works. I restored again at this point, to get back the screwed WU.

I tried the new drivers and new CUDA dll, they work fine.

config : Xeon 3210, GTX280, XP32, latest BOINC
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2009, 03:32:50 pm by Lord Asmodeus »

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2009, 06:08:31 pm »
Yes, I used the installer.

I just did it again, and had the same result.

Videos seams to "slideshow" a little, in fact even the screen in general seems impaired, with the mouse slowing, etc.

When I restore my backup of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC folder, it doesn't work ! Does the installer do something elsewhere ? boinc.exe takes 25% of the CPU (a full core) and no app seems to launch, but it screws WU (CUDA & CPU) one by one. I have to uninstall BOINC, reinstall it, then it works. I restored again at this point, to get back the screwed WU.

I tried the new drivers and new CUDA dll, they work fine.

config : Xeon 3210, GTX280, XP32, latest BOINC

Sorry, I'm a bit lost as to where you're up to with this.  Is it working fine? or something trashing the boinc folder/ seti tasks, or freezing happening?

Installer does nothing outside the setiathome project folder deeper in the folder you mention, (unless you tell it to install outside)

Lord Asmodeus

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2009, 11:25:52 pm »
Well V11 is working fine, V12 not. And when I went from V12 back to V11 (deleting all the BOINC folder, restoring rared archive), it didn't work, I had to reinstall BOINC on top of it.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:37:31 am »
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for explaining.  Yeah, it probably just would've worked better to just use the uninstaller via add/remove programs to put the old app back, sacrificing the few WUs. For normal Boinc backups I'm fairly certain there is some elaborate mucking around to to restore from a Boinc backup  that will work if there was network activity disabled while. But I've never had to try it myself, so can't advise there.  In any case, glad you have something that works with your config.

Jason

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559