+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: SSE4 or not...  (Read 6917 times)

pp

SSE4 or not...
« on: 18 Sep 2009, 10:19:54 am »
I think I read somewhere on this forum or over at S@H that the optimized MB SSSE3 app was slightly faster than the SSE4.1 version but then I read this thread in the Windows forums. So... would it make sens to run the SSE4.1 optimized versions from the public beta download instead? Any benchmark numbers around from Core2 and Core i7?

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: SSE4 or not...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2009, 10:29:12 am »
I think I read somewhere on this forum or over at S@H that the optimized MB SSSE3 app was slightly faster than the SSE4.1 version but then I read this thread in the Windows forums. So... would it make sens to run the SSE4.1 optimized versions from the public beta download instead? Any benchmark numbers around from Core2 and Core i7?

That used to be the case mostly for quads, that SSSE3 builds were faster by some small amount.  However with v8b, SSE4.1 build according to some testers, overtakes a little in performance at some angle ranges.  IMO The difference would be so small as probably to be difficult to justify mucking around, though with 45nM dual cores the advantage can be a little more because of less pressure on the memory bus. ( ~1-2% overall, which is small, but could be significant over a great length of time).

The v8b builds sitting in beta download area, are actually the installer v0.2  release ones, just never got around to finishing the packages and moving them into public downloads, since most people seemed content to use the installer, and maintenance of all those packages is a lot of work. 

Since, if desired, using the installer the same builds / documentation can be readily installed to a temporary folder other than the active project directory, for the purpose of extracting files, I don't see a great need for all those separate packages, and so may discontinue that method of distribution entirely.  Undecided.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2009, 10:34:27 am by Jason G »

pp

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 11:36:47 am »
Ah, the x64 version are the Win-builds. I didn't realize that until now since they lacked the "win" in the filename. Are there any Linux builds of those versions around? I don't mind trying them on my i7 and report back here. I'm only crunching the < 0.14 VLARs on my CPUs anyway and the SSSE3 version does them in 88-100 minutes so it would be easy to compare.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:14:28 pm »
Ahhh, correct.  I hadn't seen any SSE4.1 Linux build for Multibeam, so guessed you were referring to the Windows ones in the beta area. 

AFAIK there isn't any Linux SSE4.1 build on Crunch3rs site, or any build of v8b for Linux at all. So Everything I said is of course totally not applicable on that platform.  I haven't kept up with the last things done by Crunch3r regarding Multibeam, though maybe Urs would be taking that on development after Astropulse. ?

[Later:]  To save confusion with Linux builds again, I've moved the incomplete/unneeded windows packages out of beta area,  since they're not in active testing.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2009, 12:45:22 pm by Jason G »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559