+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: [MOVED] work the NC Forum at Seti  (Read 20201 times)

Gecko_R7

Re: work the NC Forum at Seti
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2009, 08:18:22 pm »
A goal would be to have a group tht would have some small management capabilites for some threads. Then Gecko could cut-n-paste changes. Or hide his old post.

This would be most helpful.  ;)

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Round Table
Re: [MOVED] work the NC Forum at Seti
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
shortly I am going to cut-n-paste the other App into the placeholder I posted.

This is tought to grab and decypher that is in the downloads section...

You are welcome to grab (use the quote feature in NC) to grab what I have completed for rework on teh NC side.

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2009, 12:44:18 am »
I have to ask, how much news actually goes out over the RSS Feed?

If I Look at the traffic here there is a lot of information I can see. How a common user who is interested in the Unified Instaler but afraid to ask know that it could solve a lot of their problems.

As I grabbed HTML source to look to see what I could use to enhance the "placeholder" I have a ton of stuff that is un-managble at the basic HTML level. It looks "pretty" but if the forum software "hickups" it is screwed.

So that said the information in the main page of the forum is overly long and the most recent top postings only tell about AstroPulse. The user came here to find something for MultiBeam... How far do they have to scroll to find what they need?

So when you say it will take a bit I understand.

R/

Al

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2009, 04:10:58 am »
As I've posted in the Installer experiment thread:
Note:  Win32 FINAL BETA Installer somehow unintentionally 'escaped' to public download area  ::), and received ~98 downloads.  Well fair enough, seems to work, and is still marked FINAL BETA, so I have shifted the other two to same place.  Note that I expect FINAL RELEASE Installers to have refreshed AKv8b builds, and add appropriate AMD SSE3 32 bit build in 64 bit installer, So they are not the final release editions. [Which are to be made this weekend, marked 0.2]

Given the apparent high demand, it seemed the right thing to do, despite known warts.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2009, 04:24:32 am by Jason G »

Gecko_R7

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2009, 09:58:48 am »
.....the main page of the forum is overly long and the most recent top postings only tell about AstroPulse. The user came here to find something for MultiBeam... How far do they have to scroll to find what they need?

After looking closer, It became clear that exact duplicate posting at NC is not necessary.
The key info is "easy identification" of the notice & which specific release is applicable to the user.
They just click on the appropriate link & it takes them to the full release post here.

It's also easier to manage on my end, since If I need to make a change to the release info or DL "here", I don't have to go & edit the same @ NC post.  This happened a few times and was quite inconvenient.  So the NC post is more "future safe".

I have to ask, how much news actually goes out over the RSS Feed?

Re: RSS feed. When I first got it up & running, I just wanted to get it to work properly, so I linked it to a specific release section & provided enough space that the whole release could be reflected in the RSS.
Afterall, some people want all content via RSS, some only want abreviated info w/ "link to more".
However, users can set options w/ their RSS readers as to how to deal w/ most recent, read & older news items.

When Jason first released a Beta Installer, I included a RSS notice & decided to use RSS more as an announcement, w/ a link to the full release post.  This worked real well & a person could easily read the shortened post via handheld etc.
I'm inclined to use RSS in future mostly as "notice" tool w/ release description & link.

Re: RSS user base.  It's a new feature & how many people use/see it will be related to how many forum visitors at NC can easily see it's available.
As several members have commented, many members don't visit forums regularly or hardly ever.
Since there are several hundred thousand "actively" crunching hosts at Seti, vs. 2200 members "here", I suspect the number of potential RSS users to be significant as more "infrequent visitors" at Main see the option is available.  That's the real benefit of the sticky post.

They won't know this feature is available if buried in the Opt Relase thread as 1) They won't know about it to even look there "for it".
IMO, the space it takes as a sticky is worth the convenience and communication benefit since the member base is SOO LARGE, but varies greatly on how often people visit.  Of course, Seti also get's "new members" daily as well  ;).
« Last Edit: 15 May 2009, 10:03:48 am by Gecko_R7 »

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2009, 10:26:38 am »
This actually fits in with the discussion. My bad was I found it in the downloads and displayed it in the Temp Placeholder. Peopla saw something New besides Astropulse which they don't want to run anways.

One may be the guy that stopped in here offering Money to have a package for a couple of machines

As I've posted in the Installer experiment thread:
Note:  Win32 FINAL BETA Installer somehow unintentionally 'escaped' to public download area  ::), and received ~98 downloads.  Well fair enough, seems to work, and is still marked FINAL BETA, so I have shifted the other two to same place.  Note that I expect FINAL RELEASE Installers to have refreshed AKv8b builds, and add appropriate AMD SSE3 32 bit build in 64 bit installer, So they are not the final release editions. [Which are to be made this weekend, marked 0.2]

Given the apparent high demand, it seemed the right thing to do, despite known warts.

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
Okay in the Old Thread placed a notice for those that have probably Subscribed noting the new Location and the RSS Feed. In the bottom is the view count at the time I did it. For that that have subscribed to the Thread they should visit and then check the New Thread and or the RSS Feed..

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2009, 09:46:51 pm »
I have my links in place now.

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2009, 11:29:24 pm »
Thank You

R/

Al

I have my links in place now.

computerguy09

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:31:06 pm »
Thank you guys for your hard work on getting information readily accessible, but somewhat concentrated in fewer places.

I watch the SETI boards on an occasional basis, since I run SETI@HOME alongside lots of other projects...

Mark

(Trying to up his post count to get to squire level...)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672