+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: BOINC does not detects libcudart.so  (Read 12721 times)

shiki08

BOINC does not detects libcudart.so
« on: 29 May 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
Hello! First, I'd like to introduce myself. I just registered here, but I need your help already.

The problem is the following. I installed BOINC 6.4.5 from source, using some GCC optimalization. Used --prefix=/usr too. Then I start boinc_client, and it says it can't detect my libcudart.so. Tried some howto, about linking the .so in /usr/lib/boinc-client/ and such, but nothing worked so far. Could you help me out?.. Someone said that you are expert in GPU usage.

MSI NX8600GTS
Nvidia: 180.51 x64
Cuda toolikt 2.2

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: BOINC does not detects libcudart.so
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 03:23:59 pm »
Since you have cuda 2.2, you'd better go with 185.18.xx nvidia drivers that are cuda 2.2 compatible.

Place all libcudart and libcufft files (libcudart.so, libcudart.so.2, libcudart.so.2.2, libcufft.so, libcufft.so.2, libcufft.so.2.2) in your projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu directory.

I don't know how you've setup your system or how things are in Arch, but in ubuntu to let my system know of these libs I placed a file named cudalibs.conf in /etc/ld.so.conf.d containing the full path to these libraries (.../projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu).

Finally run ldconfig to refresh your cached libraries.

Edit: You say you've compiled boinc? Why don't you use the latest 6.6.29 from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php ?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2009, 03:26:59 pm by sunu »

shiki08

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 04:42:06 pm »
Well... I got it from SVN. I first tried to compile 6.7.5 ... That was a big failure. I couldn't even finish ./configure, then after few hours of wrangling, I just couldn't compile it. Then I tried to use 6.4.5, since one of the developers said, that is the stable. Well..source , some Cflag misery, gcc patch, no manager. Nice .. :)

Well, I'll compile 6.6.29 now.. :P Cross your fingers :)

By the way, I dont have such file like "ld.so.conf.d".. :-/

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 04:56:24 pm »
Do the precompiled binaries from the BOINC download page (link in sunu's post) not work on your distro ?

Or do you simply prefer to compile the client yourself ?
_\|/_
U r s

shiki08

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2009, 05:11:28 pm »
Do the precompiled binaries from the BOINC download page (link in sunu's post) not work on your distro ?

Or do you simply prefer to compile the client yourself ?

Well.. it works.. SOMEHOW. It runs... but sometimes SEGFAULTs... it runs.. but manager does not. It runs.. but really slow (no gcc optimalization means REALLY much performance drop.)

Well guys, here are my tryings... :
http://pastebin.com/m1e1a4554

Nasty.. :)

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2009, 05:38:05 pm »
Could you possibly paste an example of that SEGFAULT errors to this forum, or give a link to a result containing the error ?

The BOINC client and the BOINC manager are not doing any work. The client does only start the applications, does communicate over internet with project servers and provides an interface for the GUI, the manager.
_\|/_
U r s

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2009, 06:00:08 pm »
By the way, I dont have such file like "ld.so.conf.d".. :-/

It's not a file, it is a directory under /etc directory. Please list here all files or directories starting with ld.so.* you've got under the /etc directory.

Like Urs says, DON'T try to compile boinc. Get the corresponding .sh file from the link I gave you above.

Edit: Also give us a link to your host.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2009, 06:04:10 pm by sunu »

shiki08

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 06:49:42 pm »
Using the .sh file gives me REALLY slow computation speed. And I won't run boinc at all. (since I would get 1/5* points than Vista 32bit).

So back to the topic. I tried to recompile 6.4.5 with applied gcc patch, but that doesn't segfaults, so I cant really post you any error. It only says (right after start) SEGFAULT and thats it.

(And no, there is no such directory there)

Link to my host? What do you mean?

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2009, 07:28:24 pm »
Using the .sh file gives me REALLY slow computation speed. And I won't run boinc at all. (since I would get 1/5* points than Vista 32bit).

boinc DOESN'T do any computations. It simply manages the clients that do the computations. So install boinc from the .sh file and then we'll guide you through the client installations.

And no, there is no such directory there
Do a "ls ld.so*" under your /etc directory and post here the results.

Link to my host? What do you mean?
For example my host is http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=3281360 . Can you give us yours?

shiki08

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2009, 01:06:38 am »
boinc DOESN'T do any computations. It simply manages the clients that do the computations. So install boinc from the .sh file and then we'll guide you through the client installations.

Ehh geez. I want an optimized boinc_client ..thats all. And that is not the same as using the .sh or installing it from source. (There is a misunderstanding between us I guess, but still..)

LS :
[shiki@ayanami etc]$ ls ld.so
ls: cannot access ld.so: No such file or directory
[shiki@ayanami etc]$ cat ld.so.conf
#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#
#End of file
/usr/lib/libfakeroot
/opt/qt/lib

My host is just attached to a different project (WCG) atm, since I first just want to make libcudart working.

By the way my host (wrote by hand OC ^^):
CPU type   GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11]
Number of processors   4
Coprocessors   NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS (512MB)
Operating System   Linux
2.6.29.4 (2.6.29-ARCH)
Memory   2048 MB
Cache   4096 KB
Measured floating point speed   ~4500.17+ million ops/sec
Measured integer speed   ~12500+ million ops/sec
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 01:22:42 am by shiki08 »

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2009, 07:49:46 am »
Ehh geez. I want an optimized boinc_client ..thats all. And that is not the same as using the .sh or installing it from source. (There is a misunderstanding between us I guess, but still..)

What is a "boinc_client"? And why do you want it optimised?

Again:
boinc --> manages the science applications (multibeam, astropulse etc.), absolutely no need for optimisation.
science applications (multibeam, astropulse etc.) --> Applications that do the actual computations, highly optimised from Lunatics team.

Also please do again in your /etc directory:

ls ld.so*

note the asterisk in the end.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 07:59:44 am by sunu »

shiki08

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2009, 08:10:00 am »
boinc_client is the one what manages computation. Maybe it does not need any optimalization, but if I recompile.. I get 4-5x better CPU benchmark and I can submit 2-3x (this weekend it was 7x) more results. What is really something I think.

[root@ayanami etc]# ls ld.so*
ld.so.cache  ld.so.conf  ld.so.confe

ps.: Notice the two weekend's performance. First was the official linux client. (Ah yeah and this friday..well.. I was trying to compile a newer client -.-...) (the stat graph is still not updated so its not really up-to-date about the performance. I can post one later when it'll show what is this whole recompile misery means.)

« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 08:15:55 am by shiki08 »

shiki08

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2009, 08:45:18 am »
Topic can be closed. Solution :

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcudart.so /usr/local/cuda/lib/libcudart.so

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2009, 09:28:36 am »
boinc_client is the one what manages computation. Maybe it does not need any optimalization, but if I recompile.. I get 4-5x better CPU benchmark and I can submit 2-3x (this weekend it was 7x) more results. What is really something I think.

No, benchmarks done by boinc DON'T have any effect on computation speed of the science apps or how many results you submit.

shiki08

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2009, 11:24:13 am »
Strange in every way. Look for some tests online against Linux vs WIN client. WIN wins every time if its the default app. Beats me... ^^ All I know that this way I submit much more.. and the computer doesnt runs more. So its a pure profit I guess.. (maybe its just luck? lol)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672