+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 585577 times)

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #780 on: 16 May 2012, 07:45:28 pm »
Update: Wednesday, May 16, 2012  4:00 pm: Service desk has been informed that the new ETA for restoration of service is Thursday afternoon.

I think this is ridiculous service for PGE, almost 48 hours to fix this in non-critical weather.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2012, 07:48:18 pm by arkayn »

Offline Cosmic_Ocean

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #781 on: 16 May 2012, 08:01:46 pm »
Well then.  I guess that is a reasonable explanation for what's going on.  This morning on both of my machines, I suspended network comms.  Yay for full caches before issues arise.

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
« Reply #782 on: 16 May 2012, 08:03:24 pm »
It is also not listed on the PGE outage map, makes you wonder if they think it is important.

http://pge.com/myhome/customerservice/outages/

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #783 on: 16 May 2012, 10:48:59 pm »

Plans should have a beginning middle and end.  You should have considered the end at the beginning.  Now he's near death, and most likely will not make a complete recovery.  If he does he's another waste of time headed into a court room.

what a terrible way to die.  and people poor lighter fluid on dogs and burn then, i guess this is payback to humans...

Would-Be Copper Thief ‘Extremely Grave’
After He’s Shocked And Catches On Fire

May 5, 2012

SAN BERNARDINO (CBS) — A would-be copper thief was gravely injured early Saturday morning when he attempted to steal copper wiring from a live Edison vault, according to authorities.

Witnesses told CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Melissa Maynarich that the man could be heard screaming in agony.

Jeff Grammatico was across the street from the substation when he said, “I heard a boom.” He added, “It made me jump from one side of the room to the other.”

He ran to the fence and saw a man burning alive. “It was scary. I was trying to cut the gate to get in. It was horrifying to watch him burn.”

Grammatico says he ran back to his home to get a fire extinguisher while another passerby called 911. “He kept standing and screaming, screaming, screaming. And I couldn’t get in. I had a fire extinguisher. But he wouldn’t
come over. But he started to roll.”

Officials say the suspect is “extremely grave” and that it’s likely he was burned by 33,000 volts of electricity.

The incident occurred on the corner of Rialto and Stoddard about 2 a.m.

Southern California Edison said about 14,000 customers lost power.  Service was fully restored by Saturday afternoon.

The man is described as a man in his 20s. Police have not released the man’s name. Witnesses said he was so badly burned there was no way for him to be identified. JR Velasquez said it was hard to witness the horror of the man burning. “It was something I really never seen n my life. Never happened to any animal or anybody.”

The man has not yet been charged with a crime. Police are trying to locate his family.

Would-Be Copper Thief ‘Extremely Grave’ After He’s Shocked And Catches On Fire « CBS Los Angeles

this thread should be moved to it's own sub forum with the same title...

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #784 on: 17 May 2012, 01:52:17 am »
It is also not listed on the PGE outage map, makes you wonder if they think it is important.

I noticed that this morning.....wondered why it was not listed.

And yes, I think it's kinda crazy that they could not have patched in a another feed while they are trying to fix the original problem.

Offline BANZAI56

• Squire
« Reply #785 on: 17 May 2012, 04:04:11 am »
;D It's Diablo 3 fans began to connect to all available servers because of hopelessness and put SETI down..  ;D  :D  ;)

What?  Another Error 37?    :P   

(*&&^ %@#!@&  (^#$@  %#$^*

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #786 on: 17 May 2012, 04:38:54 am »

There's some news on the UCB website now:

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/05/16/power-outage-darkens-lawrence-hall-rest-of-campus-hill-area/

That suggests that the fault may be in a private line owned by the Campus, which would explain why it doesn't appear on the PG&E map.

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #787 on: 17 May 2012, 08:00:41 am »
And thank you for that new bit of information, Richard.
If campus personnel are involved in finding the fault, you could well be correct.

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #788 on: 17 May 2012, 01:19:24 pm »
Once Seti does come back up, there will be much congestion of the bandwidth of course.
My concern, what with all the server tweaks and changes as of late, is whether there is going to be a problem with reporting large numbers of completed WUs.
In the past this has sometimes resulted in HTTP errors because the server could not cope with the large reporting lists.
There is a work around involving a CC config entry I believe, that limits the amount of work reported in a scheduler request.  I think at one time, Seti also had to change some server settings to fix the problem.

We shall see.......
But be prepared for this bug to possibly raise it's ugly little head.

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
« Reply #789 on: 17 May 2012, 01:28:48 pm »
Right now, both of my machines are configured to report 50 tasks at a time, that usually works just fine.

I kind of hope they turn on the upload server first and let us do a mass upload before they turn on the scheduler and finally the download servers.

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #790 on: 17 May 2012, 01:31:25 pm »
Right now, both of my machines are configured to report 50 tasks at a time, that usually works just fine.

I kind of hope they turn on the upload server first and let us do a mass upload before they turn on the scheduler and finally the download servers.
Please refresh our memory.
If it is needed, what was that tweak again?

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #791 on: 17 May 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

Please refresh our memory.
If it is needed, what was that tweak again?
Just use the following in your cc_config.xml (for Jason's mod 6.10.58 and Boinc 6.12.x and later):

Code: [Select]
<cc_config>
   <log_flags>
   </log_flags>
   <options>
      <max_tasks_reported>50</max_tasks_reported>
   </options>
</cc_config>

Claggy

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #792 on: 17 May 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
Thanks....I remember now.
I had used it once in the past as a work around, but don't think I left it active.
Will wait to see what happens, and add it again if required.

Meow!

Offline IrishFBall32

• Squire
« Reply #793 on: 17 May 2012, 02:41:07 pm »
I know the guys in the lab have a lot of other things to worry about, but has anyone suggested that they use something like Twitter to fill us all in on this type of catastrophic outage?

Referencing the Diablo3 issues, even Blizzard was using Twitter as a means of telling everyone when/how long they would be down as it was faster than their own forums.

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #794 on: 17 May 2012, 02:43:24 pm »
Definitely unscheduled.

http://ucbsystems.org/category/active/
There's an update now:

Update: Thursday, May 17, 2012  11:30 am: Service desk has been informed that it is still not known when full power will be restored to these locations.  However, partial network connectivity to SSL has been restored using generated power.

Claggy

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559